Thinking about the undiscovered country

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
mac

Thinking about the undiscovered country

Post by mac » 27 Dec 2012 08:20 pm

Fans of Star Trek will know that I refer to the future.

Been pondering over this season of festive fire hazards as what to do with my fleet. I increasingly wonder if I have the time (or health) to minister to both my babies.
The B14 3 door is a known good car (2nd.place in class BKV 2010) with a superb shell and much work has been done to the engine etc. it currently remains as a shell with all appendages spread throughout the house in various degrees of fettlement.
The Redline is complete and almost ready for a ticket and represents a "better" car as a "daily", workhorse and experimental animal. Many of the parts I have acquired for the 3 door will fit equally to enhance the Redline.

I am seriously considering concentrating on the Redline and "passing on" the 3 door (which, whilst an excellent base for BKV show car is neither so good as a daily nor as much interest to me - I'm just so not into showing cars).

If (IF) I do decide to dispose of the 3 door - would anyone be interested be interested in taking it on (as a project - it is far far too good to scrap or stuff into a wall) ?? It would "go" as a complete trimmed shell with, possibly, a 4speed box and diff, the fettled B14 but probably not with suspension, lights, radiator, prop etc.

Having one, on the road, beastie will make it a lot easier to experiment with some of my future plans, as will the space released (letting me in and out of my hovel with less of a squeeze.

Would appreciate comment and suggestions from the floor please.!

Mac.
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Thinking about the undiscovered country

Post by volvosneverdie » 27 Dec 2012 08:27 pm

Would be a shame for you not to finish it dude, and I'm sorry your health is anything but A1.

Other than that, I have nothing helpful to add.

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 27 Dec 2012 08:37 pm

Hi mac.
Sorry to here about your health. I am having a few problems in that department myself.
If ATTOS doesn't let me back to work, i might have to let my two go and that would be
devestating. As a man of wisdom, you will know what to do best. Good luck in the new year.
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 27 Dec 2012 09:21 pm

Having two cars the same is a pain in the backside to my mind. A very good friend of mine looks after a pair of Triumphs and seems to be able to deal with it, but I find I am so far from a "finished" solution to my cars that it's much better spending the time on one developing a better setup. Kar is and will be ignored until Fake is solved

To my mind, your situation is fairly different to mine, both mine are needing the same modifications and fixes to make them sorted. Your red car is a lovely example that you've known (and worked on) for a substantial time, but realistically will always have to be a show car because of what it is (whilst it's in the hand of someone who cars about the marque at least).

I've a feeling I understand how you feel about showing cars. I've found my interest in car shows is solely down to well engineered examples, rather than polished things in nice/restored/rusty guises. I would struggle in your position, I'm sure your feelings are different but to me a "please polish me" show car would be taking my time away from what I really enjoyed, even if it is one of the best examples.

As to what you should do? Your call Mac. Nothing says the B14 has to be kept original. But, why have 2 modified versions of the same car? Variety is the spice of life.

I'd keep whichever shell is best. Build the fun test bed around that.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 28 Dec 2012 12:33 am

You're a lucky man having the luxury of the time to ponder these things!
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 31 Dec 2012 01:29 pm

Mac, firstly - sorry to hear about your ill health and you should definitely do what's best for you in these cases, sod the cars :D

Onto the dilemma... Is the redline shell as good as the 3 door?

I do agree having two cars the same is a pain in the arse, especially if it's a 300 that you like to tinker with! Howcome you're not convinced on the 1.4 as a daily as opposed to the 1.7? Ok the 1.7 obviously has a power advantage but the B14 (if you swapped a 5 speed box with 3.82 diff in) isn't totally unbearable - neither are a ball of fire anyway :D Also as a 'toy/plaything' it's £100 less to tax a year and the simplicity of the B14 is quite a nice thing.

I think if it was me, the 1.7 sounds like it only needs a couple of things to have it roadworthy. Once roadworthy it will easily sell and probably for reasonable money given it's a more desirable spec/engine combination. Then you can finish putting the red one back together at your leisure, it just depends whether that's of any interest :) Plus, arguably the 3 doors do look better :)
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

mac

Post by mac » 31 Dec 2012 03:05 pm

Thanks guys for your comments (and yes Rich, I am a lucky sod arn't I).

Firstly I will just clarify my health issues - a lot of it is simple age (I'm knocking official retirements door) but I have suffered chronic ME for over 20 yrs. and I am diabetic, both of which limits the amount of stamina I can generate. Recently I have endured an extended bout of GE which has left me totally drained - literally. In fact I have lost over two stones in 5 weeks! (If I could package the as yet unknown bug I could make a fortune with the "mac projectile defacating diet"). Regrettably my mental age (about 8) really doesn't compensate for pins that no longer work properly.

Being realistic though, there are many who are far, far worse off than I and I'm happy to live with what (in the grand scheme of things) are minor inconveniences.

As to the cars, Steve, the Redline shell seems to be every bit as good as the 3 door overall. The paintwork needs a good cut and polish and there a few scratches but no scrapes or dents - and, as yet, I've not found any rot at all (the usual arches and front valance are perfect) although I have yet to have a really good grovel.

The 3 doors paintwork is better but it has a number of small dents (acquired under Eddies stewardship) and the chassis rails have been assaulted by trolley jacks at some stage.

The Redines interior is literally perfect (much better than the 3door) it has alloys rather than steels and "more toys" and in my mind would make a more comfortable "daily" to drag my ageing carcase about. The 3door I feel would make a better (simpler) "show" car which I have much less interest in.

I was of course left the 3door by Eddie, but it probably would have not been my first choice variant to buy (what I really want is a GLT saloon). In truth the B172 has no real advantage over the B14 (and in any ways is inferior) but the "rest" of the Redline is much more to my taste.

Of course I could mix & match, putting the B14 into the Redline, but apart from debasing two good cars I would create a 4 speed 1700.

I will probably end up keeping and restoring both, then sell one depending how I feel at the time. But if somebody had a real penchant for taking on a 3door as a show car then I could be persuaded to pass it on.

Mac.
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.