Mac raises himself from his sick bed and ...........

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Mac raises himself from his sick bed and ...........

Post by pettaw » 03 Feb 2013 07:52 pm

Mac agree with everything you have written. It means I post on here less and less. I can't stand bodgery there simply is NO excuse for it. Something temporary to 'get you home' or for the purposes of diagnosis is one thing (we've all been there) but a substandard repair for the sake of saving a few quid when actually it doesn't cost that much to repair it properly particularly when you've been told EXACTLY how to do it....... Well put it this way I won't be helping those posters any more. If you'd rather listen to another poster telling you to bodge it then good luck.

Without sounding big headed I personally have worked on and done pretty major repairs on virtually every single model in the 300 range. There aren't that many problems I haven't come across and believe me I have made all the mistakes. The advice I give and some of the little tricks like those I show you on YouTube have taken years to build up. And I know that there are other people on here that have even more knowledge than me. People should remember that the advice on here comes for free and I certainly have no interest in posting wrong information. It makes no personal difference to me whether you repair your car or not.

God I sound bitter and twisted :)
Rant mode definitely off!

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 03 Feb 2013 08:50 pm

pettaw wrote:God I sound bitter and twisted :)
Rant mode definitely off!
I love how you are surprised ;)
FWIW, it was pettaw pointing out how much the proper way cost relative to the hodge way that was the start of my "non bodgery"

It's normally less than a tank of fuel
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 03 Feb 2013 09:00 pm

The trouble is that if the good advice is not given then those that do want to it right will be loosing out on the information, the last thing we want to do is make the 300 series a reserve for those in the know!

I know there are times when you see a post on here and you think to yourself bloody hell I hope I'm never on the same peice of road as him and his car. Compared to most forums we have by far a higher standard of member. When was the last time we were asked how much power a dump valve would make on a NA car!

The important thing is for everyone to get along and that involves tolerance and being able to agree to disagree. Its when there is no respect of anothers opinion that folk start to fall out. Again most of the time we do all get along on V3M

The common goal should be the servival of the 300 series, be that in a car kept in just the way it left the factory, a mildy altered car for impoved road use or an out and out race car.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 03 Feb 2013 11:02 pm

Chris, you say that the difference between a bodge and a proper fix is a full tank of feul, well to put that in some context that's more than my weekly living allowance I have in uni, so to me thats not a small amount extra. There are numerous people on here that maybe in the same situation as me, every penny counts BUT I often prefer to get into a small amount of debt, give up on a few nights out or miss some club trips to make sure I do a fairly tidy job.

I feel I sit alittle on the fence, I have had (some) mechanical training in a garage during school holidays so I have an appreciation of how it should be done, but like I say every penny counts.

However theres a difference between watching the pennies during repairs and just doing a dangerous bodge.

I personally greatly value the advice given by everyone on this site :D I found pettaws videos very helpful!

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 04 Feb 2013 01:55 am

Evoman wrote:well to put that in some context that's more than my weekly living allowance I have in uni
I understand that chap, I was an undergrad (not a huge amount of time ago, but long enough to have seen the system change), then a postgrad and now I still work in and around uni's. My misses graduated her undergrad last year and is currently doing a PGCE.

FWIW, its not been easy to run a car for the last 10 years whilst being a student, but it's harder now than it ever was. Student loans are roughly the same now as I got 10 years ago, yet the cost of petrol has doubled. I ran a 300 at the time as it was *the* cheapest car possible, in 2005 you could buy them from ebay for 99p, take off the part you needed to fix your car and put the rest in the spares hoard. A few of us did this a fair amount. The gf has a scrappy rescue 206 for the same reason I rescued Fake, it was the cheap solution to a moderately reliable car. Again, FWIW, I did it as I loved cars and preferred having one to going out on the lash like most at uni seemed to, I learnt how to do spanner 300s solely as I couldn't afford anyone else to as a student, but I did have help from friends with more knowledge than myself. It's part of why I try to help out now, I feel I "owe" the scene. Fake got treated less well when I was a student than she does now, but never wanted for anything, just got second hand parts and not always reconned.

The other difficulty I had when I first joined here, was working out who knew their stuff and who didn't. It's not an easy call for a new member, or a chap that hasn't been to a meet often I think. A lot of us take for granted why know each other in the real world, we know that Foggy will run out of petrol, Pettaw will just attack random things with blowlamps and Mac scares small children, whilst also knowing they have lots of experience (granted Foggy's experience is blowing engines up, but hey). A lot of the drift boys (proper built drift cars, not trampers) have that same experience in a different area, so give differing opinions in what is "better". Rally I imagine the same, but I'd suggest they are always perfect.

The person who doesn't know what the answer to the question is not in the best place to judge who has a clue and who doesn't, else I imagine they wouldn't have asked that question in the first place.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 04 Feb 2013 03:00 am

Well I (who know nothing) have learned a great deal while wasting time on V3M.
From people like Pettaw, Mac, Chris, Foggy, Tom, Adam, Rich etc, etc.
People who have given time and advice freely, with absolutley no prejudice against my idiocy.

Although still an idiot, I feel that my knowledge (and perspective) has been improved vastly as a direct result of the direction given freely to me on these boards.

I think when I registered here, I was all for matt blacking a 340, intsalling big wheels and driving it untill it broke. An immature perspective, but over time I think I have come not only to accept, but to embrace stock cars. Not just 300s, in fact not just Volvos, but I have a much wider appreciation of all marques.

I think the motoring world needs good teachers (as does the world at large) and it would be a shame for the folk that are good at teaching to pack it in just because the people folk that follow are obviously idiots.
You can only progress from idiocy to enlightenment with the aid of good teaching.

So rather than piss and whinge about the next generation (which I'm sure is the job of EVERY senior generation), how about just keeping up the damn fine work?
Knowledge is a very precious commodity. Give it freely and it may not be only the intended recipient that benefits, maybe someone else will take note. Remember that once posted, advice is there for all to see. And may benefit many more people than you origonally intended.

Bodgers may bodge, but then again they may grow into engineers too.

From small acorns, great oaks may grow.

Just dont stop planting because its hard work.

:wink:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 05 Feb 2013 03:50 am

mac wrote:Ok chaps, I'm not really here (SWMBO will get verrrry tetchy if she catches me) but I have been keeping an eye on threads and of late I am seeing a disturbing trend. I do not intend to link to any particular thread because It would only stir things up (and at the moment I do not have the strength or inclination to join in the fun).

Fact:- the original designers of the 300 knew a lot more about them than we ever will.
Fact:- the manufacturers did (and do) things for a reason.
Fact:- there is good engineering practice and there is "the bodge".
Fact:- there a small number of people who regularly post on this forum who really know what they are talking about.
Fact:- rather than listen to them and heed their advice the tendency is to "bodge"

I do not see any of them "just cutting a bit off" because "I know a case where it worked" , or "I've got the wrong bit so I'll just cut it down and weld it" etc. etc.
My point is that there is a correct way to do things - a bodge may well "work" (under some circumstances, for some time) but it will still be a bodge!. Eventually having fixed everything on the cheap you have a bodge on four wheels.

True, I admit that aged 15 I knew everything - but having spent 40 years in the engineering trade, over 25 of them as an investigative engineer for the people who built the 300s, I now realise, in my sixties I know nothing. When I started to produce my Diff gasket kit I carefully researched materials, clamping loads, compressibility etc. - why did I bother when an old bit of cardboard would have done just as well?. My bolts - proper thread form and an increase in grade - nah! Anything lying around will do!

I'm truly sorry if I offend but I really do believe that if we are to preserve these cars then things should be done properly and if the concensus is that anything that "works" will do - then I for one want no part of it!!!.

Mac, frustrated (at my illness), frustrated twice (at bogeing in general), and very, very, grumpy.
(and to cap it all Deb has caught me posting).
+1 on that.

It does also apply for modifications and planning of modifications too, maybe even more, don't know that much, but there are most of the time more than catches the eye, there are reasons behind why one should do things certain way, but those reasons are not fairly obvious, especially for people with less experience or studying of automotive stuff, it is of course impossible to see all those aspects one should consider.

Here in this country, that is not UK of course, there are few very common question about modifications asked, one being "does xx" wheels fit to rotate with y tires?", mostly answers then are something along lines of "yes, but if you have more than 1 passenger wheels tend to scrub".
Now we get often quite large humps on our roads, because of winter frosting ground and ground then moves up and down, which of course must be lot of fun when your four wheels scrub hard on motorway with 120kph or more, but pointing out this fact is quite futile really as often people want big wheels so much that they don't see what is real issue with scrubbing, wheel can stop and there can be many kind of damage because of such, tire can even burst if there are proper conditions, dangerous at winter specially.

But it really does not bother me much if someone modifies his car and because of poor implementation or design then ends up into a ditch, what bothers me is that every one of those cases affects what regulations we get in future and it can close some doors I would fairly much like to walk at some point of time, this applies of course all life and all choices every one does make as regulation is result of people's actions and their voted law makers making adjustment to reduce negative effects of some choices and that is why there is no me or it does not matter in our worlds.

I give very little advice as I have forgotten already most and I at least try to make advices that are useful and sound, but also in many cases I think that pointing to right direction and giving food of thought is better than giving out answers straight away, as answer itself might be ignored but when person figures out correct way himself, he probably is not so easily ignoring that and might learn to see those other aspects that are needed to be taken account which then creates understanding of why and how.

Then there is time issue as good answer will then take much more time than just simply answering, so that makes things bit difficult to achieve.

I have spent week struggling with pain as I'm deteriorating faster than my cars and got tooth broken to half, ton of painkillers and no chance to go to dentist, so it might be that I'm bit grumpier than usual or confusing (at least confused), but maybe there is some point to this post, or then not.

Anyway, purpose of life is to learn, to learn more we must share what we thought we have learned, as not all things learned are right will be perfect, some things might be even false, eventually humanity will learn enough that they know how to live, but while this process is still ongoing, there will be challenges of greed and ignorant. With patience anyone can however learn and share what he learned, so greed and ignorant can find way of thinking and patience. No one can be forced, no one should be forced, so one can only share and be patient, eventually there is change.
But drop the sharing and situation will just deteriorate fast, easier bodged way lures to greed and ignorant side and proper ways are forgotten, so with even little reminders now and then we can keep those ways alive, not everyone will pick them up, but there are silent ones that you can't see nor hear, however they will get benefit from advice and might share it forward too.

Hey, I just have been taken twice the allowed dose of painkillers for few days, it is not that much...
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 05 Feb 2013 03:58 am

volvosneverdie wrote:Well I (who know nothing) have learned a great deal while wasting time on V3M.
From people like Pettaw, Mac, Chris, Foggy, Tom, Adam, Rich etc, etc.
People who have given time and advice freely, with absolutley no prejudice against my idiocy.

Although still an idiot, I feel that my knowledge (and perspective) has been improved vastly as a direct result of the direction given freely to me on these boards.

I think when I registered here, I was all for matt blacking a 340, intsalling big wheels and driving it untill it broke. An immature perspective, but over time I think I have come not only to accept, but to embrace stock cars. Not just 300s, in fact not just Volvos, but I have a much wider appreciation of all marques.

I think the motoring world needs good teachers (as does the world at large) and it would be a shame for the folk that are good at teaching to pack it in just because the people folk that follow are obviously idiots.
You can only progress from idiocy to enlightenment with the aid of good teaching.

So rather than piss and whinge about the next generation (which I'm sure is the job of EVERY senior generation), how about just keeping up the damn fine work?
Knowledge is a very precious commodity. Give it freely and it may not be only the intended recipient that benefits, maybe someone else will take note. Remember that once posted, advice is there for all to see. And may benefit many more people than you origonally intended.

Bodgers may bodge, but then again they may grow into engineers too.

From small acorns, great oaks may grow.

Just dont stop planting because its hard work.

:wink:
This also is very true and it has been interesting to follow how for example VND has grown a LOT from days he was fresh newbie :D
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

thebear54

Post by thebear54 » 05 Feb 2013 11:17 am

@MAC....

Is This Considered A BODGE ????

Image Image

John :wink:
DAF CLUB of AMERICA Director & DAF MUSEUM-USA Director

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 05 Feb 2013 11:46 am

@superhans:

No, that's the 1979 retrofit Friedland door chime declutch activate push button for the North American market. :P
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 05 Feb 2013 12:17 pm

Hi Lads.
This is a fantastic club. I have learned so much in the years i have been here.
I lurked { stalked } for a couple of years before i joined mainly because i didn't know very much
about the 300 scene. I found that when i didn't know something, all i had to do was ask.
Someone would always come up with a result. I have always tried to help others even though
i am not a machanic. I hope this continues I think bodging will always be done in some form.
Thats my two pence worth anyway. MAC, GET WELL SOON.
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69

volvomania

Post by volvomania » 05 Feb 2013 02:08 pm

thebear54 wrote:@MAC....

Is This Considered A BODGE ????

Image Image

John :wink:
Hijacking the subject for a moment.....What is that sticker that I see? Can you post a close-up of it?

Back to serious....No that is a recycled 343 that now uses as a weatherproofing housing for a north American privacy guarding door chime. One first has to find the doorkey to unlock the door, figure out where the bonnet handle is located so that one can get to the correct door chime, whilst standing under the precarious dangling 343. :lol:
Talking about being environmentally friendly....
Life is a journey, so sit back and enjoy the ride!

Born Built Beauties: Parts keeping our cars on the road!

http://www.Born-Built-Beauties.eu