Winter bicycling (with more photos)

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
jtbo

Winter bicycling (with more photos)

Post by jtbo » 11 Mar 2013 06:26 pm

Never have met another person despite doing 2 hour trips, thing is that I can't even hear any sounds of civilization there, kind of nice. I can see that someone has travelled there, but it happens so rarely, that it is not even daily.

Some altitude profile from gps:

Coldest temp I have been bicycling this season is around -30C, I did postpone one of the trips due temperature being -35C few days ago, but -10C is not very horrible.

During the night one can see so many stars at sky that it is hard to tell where Orion or even northern star is, also during the night if there is no wind, there simply is no any sound at all that one could hear, just silence, complete void of any kind of sounds, so your breathing sounds loud and it is easy to hear heart and blood running, total soundless area and no any lights, except from the stars, only thing reminding from civilization is the road.
Last edited by jtbo on 13 Mar 2013 08:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

jtbo

Re: Winter bicycling

Post by jtbo » 13 Mar 2013 08:13 am

So this was two days ago:

Today this did happen, sorry camera did fail as I was out there before sun was properly up, bit after 6 actually and yes that is the road where I'm bicycling:

Only part of route was partly cleared from snow, but even at cleared bit there was about two inches of snow (left side of road, I'm here in non cleared right side of the road).

macplaxton

Re: Winter bicycling (with more photos)

Post by macplaxton » 13 Mar 2013 12:42 pm

and here's me thinking it's nearly spring :shock:
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

williswoody

Post by williswoody » 13 Mar 2013 01:26 pm

jtbo wrote:Never have met another person despite doing 2 hour trips, thing is that I can't even hear any sounds of civilization there, kind of nice.
Nice place for a bit of nude hiking? :P then again, as soon as you get your gear off, no doubt that'd be the first time someone would decide to drive past :) haha

That looks really beautiful though. I've only been to the snow once, and loved it :)
1984 VOLVO 360 GLT HATCH Owner. First car. Aussie. Uncertain of it, after it's started playing up lately :/

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 13 Mar 2013 02:37 pm

Well, there was a squirrel this morning, only living thing I saw during one hour and bit under 7km of distance, you can't really race on snow as there is not knowing what is under that snow, often wheels slip because of that and at high speed it would end up really badly really soon.

Next night it is again nearly -30C, but I try to get and take some pics from the stars to add here. Breath is whistling a lot, but to stop my condition getting worse I started 1 hour bicycling trips that I do daily, so far those have offered bit of help, but very little bit. Sometimes I extend my rides if I feel I have enough strength and max I can do is about 2 hours.

macplaxton, it is the spring, see, sun is above the trees! During the winter sun never gets even half way up to trees, so it is always a new thing after the winter to see the sun :lol: