Plastic Padding chemical metal question

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
jtbo

Plastic Padding chemical metal question

Post by jtbo » 02 Apr 2013 04:27 pm

Does anyone know if that stuff is good heat conductor? I have some P4 leds that I would like to 'glue' with the stuff into bicycle lamp, but I'm not sure if that stuff would work as heat conductor so that heat from led is transferred to casing?
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Plastic Padding chemical metal question

Post by MCHUDD » 02 Apr 2013 04:36 pm

Hi Jani.
A few years ago one of my core plugs popped out in extremly cold weather
{ my fault for not having enough antifreeze in it } I managed to squeeze in a
replacement and with the help of liquid metel there has been no futher leeks.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 02 Apr 2013 05:13 pm

Chemical metal should be fine, a friend of mine has his oil cooler plugged up with it.

Also, I love reading the classic adverts for this stuff in hot rod magazines:

'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 02 Apr 2013 06:40 pm

Its basically plastic resin with a powder filler, so its not a great thermal conductor. If the LED spec is suggesting you need a good heat sink you probably need something better. How many watts of heat do you need to dissipate?

Normally you would buy them on a PCB which should be well enough designed.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 02 Apr 2013 09:24 pm

Ride_on wrote:Its basically plastic resin with a powder filler, so its not a great thermal conductor. If the LED spec is suggesting you need a good heat sink you probably need something better. How many watts of heat do you need to dissipate?

Normally you would buy them on a PCB which should be well enough designed.
Ah, so it is not metal after all, EU will probably soon ban that marketing as a metal as they did with meat of moose, it is not natural product in eyes of EU :lol:

LED is Cree P4 XRE (WE), runs at 3.7V and 1A at max, I guess, I'm not sure what I have bought :D
http://dx.com/p/cree-xr-e-p4-wd-with-13mm-base-3393

I guess it is this:
http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/ ... 090XRE.pdf

I think that this is the same, but it is confusing that there are difference in mA ratings.
http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/ ... 0XREBL.pdf

I'm not sure about amount of heat, but I think with this it should work, oddly they shipped me one that is not such two boards in one, but just one board. :
http://dx.com/p/3v-8-4v-5w-cree-3-mode- ... -6mm-25517

I don't understand too much about this stuff, just want to improve old bicycle lamp without paying insane amounts of money.

I was thinking that I would get heat to go into bulb holder and then to metal reflector of the lamp, from there metal casing of the lamp as it is old lamp, it is all metal construction.

Here is pic of what I had in mind, led is on top of bulb holder there, in bulb holder there is hole at the middle of course, but I was hoping to put some thermal conductor material there that would hold LED on place and also transfer heat to bulb holder.

I guess I'm bit over my head here, also I have read 240lm to 80lm ratings for led's illumination ability, maybe lower is for low power of 350mA and other is for max power of 1A if those numbers do mean such that there are in those documents?

Inside the lamp itself there is lot of space, but bulb holder area has of course bit limitations in space. It is one of those egg shaped Solifer brand old lamps, not sure if anyone here knows about them, it would hold two leds, low and high beam kind of setup possible, but I wanted to first test with just one led. Maybe I need to invest to some heatpaste that acts as a glue and fill bulb holder with such to get effect I'm after, or maybe I would be better of with different approach, I'm not too sure at the moment.

L14MNP

Post by L14MNP » 03 Apr 2013 02:59 am

I too have Cree bike lights and torches. You cannot beat them for the money! sm4
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 03 Apr 2013 07:15 pm

Don't use plastic padding... there are "proper" thermal epoxies on the market.

However, if this is a "Make it so it's cheaper than buying one" then use a very thin layer, or, CPU compound behind the LED die itself and epoxy around the edges.

There is a huge amount of heat to get out of the die.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 03 Apr 2013 09:41 pm

Chris_C wrote:Don't use plastic padding... there are "proper" thermal epoxies on the market.

However, if this is a "Make it so it's cheaper than buying one" then use a very thin layer, or, CPU compound behind the LED die itself and epoxy around the edges.

There is a huge amount of heat to get out of the die.
Solder is expensive, but you know that similar stuff we use at new year to melt the metal and drop it into bucket of water, then telling next years fortune from weird looking metal cast? I know only word tin for it, we use same word for solder and that stuff, also there is tinfoil, which is actually aluminum.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting those new year tin horse shoes and melt them, then cast nice solid surface to bulb holder, fill interior of it with molten metal and use thermal adhesive compound to attach the led to that new flat surface.

I plan to make cooling like some Apple laptops have, whole laptop is metal and whole laptop is heatsink, so I plan to use whole metal lamp as a heatsink.

Should be ton more cooling than AAA flashlights have which this led has been used.

I think that that lower under 400mA current is enough for normal operation, that would be 80 lumens, which is already lot better than market lights we have here. 1A would be around 250 lumens which might be tad too much and it would blind areas outside of beam to pitch black which is not nice. Especially at full moon it is nice to see into forest too.

Using thermal compound as a filler might be indeed bit bad for wallet.

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 03 Apr 2013 09:58 pm

I'm not that much up with LEDs, but the simple solution is to measure the temp of the die if you can. The data sheet is the for the component not the PCB mounted unit. My P14 LEDlenser is thermally coupled to the Al casing.

As Chris says the main issue is to get the heat away from the Die, the PCB might be fine but the heat still has to get out of the casing. If its a plastic case it might not be suitable, or you may need to arrange some external sinking.
I actually have some guys in my office doing some development on a much larger sealed product (home coffee machine sized) and having trouble getting rid of 25w. Running thermal simulations etc. you could do that if you have £30K to spare :-)

If you are going to make your own products you need to engage in Engineering testing, or just suck it and see and modify it when it fails.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 03 Apr 2013 10:38 pm

Ride_on wrote:I'm not that much up with LEDs, but the simple solution is to measure the temp of the die if you can. The data sheet is the for the component not the PCB mounted unit. My P14 LEDlenser is thermally coupled to the Al casing.

As Chris says the main issue is to get the heat away from the Die, the PCB might be fine but the heat still has to get out of the casing. If its a plastic case it might not be suitable, or you may need to arrange some external sinking.
I actually have some guys in my office doing some development on a much larger sealed product (home coffee machine sized) and having trouble getting rid of 25w. Running thermal simulations etc. you could do that if you have £30K to spare :-)

If you are going to make your own products you need to engage in Engineering testing, or just suck it and see and modify it when it fails.
I guess that I can buy quite many ~2£$€ leds with 30K, for research and development :lol:

There is only one plastic part in whole bicycle lamp, it is knob of switch that selects which bulb is lit oh and wire insulation is plastic too, but rest is metal and glass, yes, it has no plastic lens, it is glass, this is proper old school lamp from 60's when they made things properly and not some silly plastics. Also it is made so that it can be disassembled, serviced, even individual parts can be replaced, some properly made lamp and it even looks nice.

Lamp is similar to this, different brand though:

Backside of that led pcb is aluminum, it is meant that heat is removed with something placed against that surface I believe. From there I conduct heat to lamp casing, it should be around 3 palm size of area that is dissipating heat, which, imo, should be plenty.

CBA

Post by CBA » 15 Jun 2013 07:20 pm

use heatsink paste wherever the bulb contacts the holder, everywhere else use filler. Allow a little air flow somehow.