New dude ..

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
thododd

Re: New dude ..

Post by thododd » 13 Nov 2013 07:14 pm

I'm 100% with dia on the 'plan of attack'. Handling is priority 1! Id rather have 100 horses and be able to use every single one than have a 300+bhp monster that cant put its power on the road

mac

Post by mac » 13 Nov 2013 07:15 pm

mac wrote: pleaselearn to walk before you run!
Mac.
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.

Joe Danger

Post by Joe Danger » 13 Nov 2013 07:22 pm

classicswede wrote:My rule for tuning is start with the handling and then start making it go.

So start with replacing any worn suspension parts and upgrade where possible. Select the right kind of springs and dampers for your use. Wheels and tyres around 195 wide works well.

Engine stage zero service and tune up. If staying NA (non turbo) then a set of 45;s or 40's would do the trick (I keep the manifolds) combined with a free flowing exhaust and a cam upgrade would be good. Something like a V, K or H profile wold get the job done. You can even fit a 2.3 engine from a 240 or 740. Ideally to support the engine mods you would want some kind of tunable ignition system so that the advance curves can be adjusted.
Yea, Bushes, roll, rust, coils, blocks, dampers, wheels, brakes.
at the same time, service. and fix what is half dead all over.

i'm trying to find parts - so i have some sort of list of where to get what - i know you have the manifolds, bushes, coils, brakes and so on.

yep, i'll get more into the things when i finally find the right car, and start buying stuff.
but, i don't wanna do this crazy 400hp volvo thing, just freshen it up a bit. I like the idea of a NA and make it a bit old school like. :wink:
Why "Joe Danger" ?.. well I allways imagine a japanese drift speeker screaming it "DjooooooeDjeeeenDjaaaarh !!!"
... and then i smile

Joe Danger

Post by Joe Danger » 13 Nov 2013 07:25 pm

mac wrote:
mac wrote: pleaselearn to walk before you run!
Mac.

oh i know <3

trust me, my rallyfriend is all about handling and putting "it" down, whatever "it" might be :mrgreen:
and he knows weird stuff...

YES ! i'll take it easy, I think i got a bit carried away - looking on a lot of sweet ass 300s inhere
Why "Joe Danger" ?.. well I allways imagine a japanese drift speeker screaming it "DjooooooeDjeeeenDjaaaarh !!!"
... and then i smile

mac

Post by mac » 13 Nov 2013 07:49 pm

"it" is grip - it's all about handling and converting what power you have into grip - effectively turning engine power into kinetic energy - ie:- motion.

Knowing the 300 as I do I can assure you that even a 1.4, in perfect, original factory spec. will handle and perform far in excess of an "average" drivers ability. The engine/drivetrain layout confers excellent weight distribution (albeit with a slightly high polar moment) and very good handling as standard (the greater or lesser tendency to understeer is no bad thing for a relatively new driver).

I am sorry if I sound like a miserable old fart (guilty) but I have seen too many young (inexperienced but invincible) drivers getting into difficulty with poorly thought out modified cars. In the UK at least the insurance industry uses "young", "inexperienced", and "modified" as excuses for crippling premiums.

I have no wish to denigrate you, or put you off - just take care and be safe.

Mac (with his grumpy old beardy head on).
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.

Joe Danger

Post by Joe Danger » 13 Nov 2013 08:23 pm

mac wrote:"it" is grip - it's all about handling and converting what power you have into grip - effectively turning engine power into kinetic energy - ie:- motion.

Knowing the 300 as I do I can assure you that even a 1.4, in perfect, original factory spec. will handle and perform far in excess of an "average" drivers ability. The engine/drivetrain layout confers excellent weight distribution (albeit with a slightly high polar moment) and very good handling as standard (the greater or lesser tendency to understeer is no bad thing for a relatively new driver).

I am sorry if I sound like a miserable old fart (guilty) but I have seen too many young (inexperienced but invincible) drivers getting into difficulty with poorly thought out modified cars. In the UK at least the insurance industry uses "young", "inexperienced", and "modified" as excuses for crippling premiums.

I have no wish to denigrate you, or put you off - just take care and be safe.

Mac (with his grumpy old beardy head on).
Well i am young, but i'm in the 20's so i'm not a stupid teenager - and there is a difference.
i've build a go-cart from scratch - calculating how strong everything had to be and so on.. 217 parts... as a school project, and i have a total respect for speed.
when you've done that, you start looking at things in another way. even when you're doing basic stuff, you start thinking about what happens to the car.

and yes you can fuck up a car totally if you don't think and just do. but have done things like handling stuff on a car before, just not the tuning part witch means that is what i'll have the most questions for... i don't say i'm an expert - but i guess you as well learned what you know by asking and doing stuff your self (:

ofcause is handling the main thing, but did you honestly think i would go tune/swap the engine and don't even think about anything else, even when i say i do not want a turbo ?

shure a 1.4 can be awesome with the right knowledge !
i just wanted a volvo, with a volvo engine - as it, would be the best choice - when i live like 1 hour from sweden..

anyway ! it's cool - i know respect is something you have to earn inhere, anywhere.

but thanks Mac (with his grumpy old beardy head on) (:
... and then i smile