New dude ..

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
Joe Danger

New dude ..

Post by Joe Danger » 07 Nov 2013 08:25 pm

Hey guys, guess what !? I'm new.. inhere..

Totally awesome forum you've got. sm6

I'm a young strange person, who is (Finally) taking my drivers license AND therefor I'm signing in here.
I've allways been loving the idea of getting a RWD car, and want to learn a lot about the car, I know a bit
but would call myself a rookie when it comes to cars.

WHY the volvo.. well i haven't got one... yet.. (keep reading I'll get to the point)..
Well i have a nice friend - who is a rally/car/cool guy who said: "Joe quit the idea of a S13 and get a volvo"
at first i felt like.. "whaaat ? s13 vs. that boxy thing of a housemothers brand ?"
but after reading stuff onhere - checking prices and so on, I started falling in love !

SO here's my plan ! (the point)

I WANT A 3 DOOR VOLVO 360 GL !
340pw

but with that point there comes questions...

what should I be aware of, when going out buying one ?
rust wise, engine wise, so on. ?

(I'm from denmark, so my plan is to import a 3 door from sweden.)

Cheers Joe Danger !? // Jonathan

BTW sorry if this is to be found somewhere inhere.. but otherwise then use this as a "Hello from Joe" ? sm6 :mrgreen:
Why "Joe Danger" ?.. well I allways imagine a japanese drift speeker screaming it "DjooooooeDjeeeenDjaaaarh !!!"
... and then i smile

Logan360

Re: New dude ..

Post by Logan360 » 07 Nov 2013 11:56 pm

Welcome mate. the 300's are a way of life. as is volvo. take a look at my signature and see how many I've had in 5 years. its not many compared to some on here.

these cars are cheap reliable fun that surprises many SR and RB people.

as for looking at buying one, check sills wheel arch's door bottom's and under windows the front lower radiator support and spare wheel well.

When you do finally buy one you'll be in, hook line and sinker.

but my question.

why a GL? not a GLT or GLE?
Own:
86 360GLT
97 S90
92 960S, Royal
01 Subaru Lancaster 6
96 Volvo 854R

Owned
E90 320 M-sport wagon
S60T -Mazda Familia
850lpt -AU Falcon
855T5 -91, 95, 97 960
940TIC -Mitsi GTO TT
16x 360-Toyota corolla
Toyota corona-R32 Skyline
V70R -V70T5

Joe Danger

Post by Joe Danger » 10 Nov 2013 03:33 pm

Logan360 wrote:Welcome mate. the 300's are a way of life. as is volvo. take a look at my signature and see how many I've had in 5 years. its not many compared to some on here.

these cars are cheap reliable fun that surprises many SR and RB people.

as for looking at buying one, check sills wheel arch's door bottom's and under windows the front lower radiator support and spare wheel well.

When you do finally buy one you'll be in, hook line and sinker.

but my question.

why a GL? not a GLT or GLE?
Thanks !
- I'll have a look :b

Oh i was thinking a GLE - just needed to figure the last letter (:

Okay thanks ! so basic rust places, i guess ? :)

To make it more interesting, I can tell you i'm working on a old school (jap'ish) design layout for the car :)
- drawing a bit and so on :b
and yes it will be my first car, and i simply just can't wait !
just wanna get a hold on one, take it apart, make it look awesome and simple :)
Why "Joe Danger" ?.. well I allways imagine a japanese drift speeker screaming it "DjooooooeDjeeeenDjaaaarh !!!"
... and then i smile

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 10 Nov 2013 06:56 pm

As with any old car the key is getting one with the least rust you can afford. I'd not worry on what spec the car is especially if you intend to modify it as almost everything can be upgraded as you go.

If the car is going to be one that is built as some sort of race car and probably be stripped for parts in years to come just look for something fairly solid but not mint.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

Logan360

Post by Logan360 » 10 Nov 2013 07:30 pm

I would agree with dai on the racecar aspect. if its gonna be something you plan to keep till it dies then find one you just can't pull yourself away from. there not all the same. My baby was my second car. its my turbo project now. I've got build thread somewhere but heaps of people race them, lower and run widened steelies etc or do a 2.3 turbo engine swap.

have you found any possible candidates yet?
Own:
86 360GLT
97 S90
92 960S, Royal
01 Subaru Lancaster 6
96 Volvo 854R

Owned
E90 320 M-sport wagon
S60T -Mazda Familia
850lpt -AU Falcon
855T5 -91, 95, 97 960
940TIC -Mitsi GTO TT
16x 360-Toyota corolla
Toyota corona-R32 Skyline
V70R -V70T5

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 12 Nov 2013 03:20 am

If you are new to cars and tuning, I have only one piece of advice, please get a workshop manual and read it from cover to cover. You might get away with the technical resource part of the forum, but do not work on any part of the car unless you have read instructions on how to do it.

Once you know how to work on the standard car, you can consider modifications.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

Joe Danger

Post by Joe Danger » 12 Nov 2013 03:21 pm

Logan360 wrote:I would agree with dai on the racecar aspect. if its gonna be something you plan to keep till it dies then find one you just can't pull yourself away from. there not all the same. My baby was my second car. its my turbo project now. I've got build thread somewhere but heaps of people race them, lower and run widened steelies etc or do a 2.3 turbo engine swap.

have you found any possible candidates yet?
I think my idea is to make a race-like car - for the street.. so it's stripped, stiff - and still got the bad look with wide steelies - or what i come up with and slammed.
yea get a turbo... i don't know i just feel like getting webber carbs would be more fun ?
- after all it's a street car.

but sure, No rust is the basic value.

Not yet - theres only one for sale right now in sweden, that look OK, but still looking.

http://www.blocket.se/gavleborg/Volvo_G ... a=23_4&w=3

Ride_on wrote:If you are new to cars and tuning, I have only one piece of advice, please get a workshop manual and read it from cover to cover. You might get away with the technical resource part of the forum, but do not work on any part of the car unless you have read instructions on how to do it.

Once you know how to work on the standard car, you can consider modifications.
my plan is to get the construction manuel for the car - when i know what i end up with.
and sure, I need to know the car before i can really modify it.
... and then i smile

mac

Post by mac » 12 Nov 2013 04:25 pm

Welcome!
You suggest you're a young strange person - you ain't seen nuthin! You'll go a long way before you become stranger than this collection of certified fruitcakes.

Be warned - you WILL get hooked!
Volvo 300s get under your skin.

Any questions - just ask. There are a number of people on this forum who reeeeeally know their subject (you'll soon twig who) and who are very willing to give advice. Please take their advice rather than from a "bar room expert" and as for modifying a car please learn to walk before you run!

Good luck in you aims - and be safe.

Mac.
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 13 Nov 2013 10:28 am

Hi mate and welcome.
Mac has got it right there. This is the out patiants ward of the nut house :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69

Joe Danger

Post by Joe Danger » 13 Nov 2013 11:28 am

haha cool ! :D
and thank you guys !

but sure, just wait - i'll ask like a Crazy person :mrgreen: sm1

So i'm thinking Volvo 360 GLE 3 door..

but would it be better/smart getting a 340 DL, and then put another engine in it ?
- cause i can find 340's with a low amount of rust for cheap..
and then maybe a B230 ? or does it have to be a clio engine ? :)

and well yesterday i found a T5 for very cheap :roll: ... yes i know that is a hard job to pull that off.. but dreaming is a nice thing..

Any advice ? :)
... and then i smile

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 13 Nov 2013 02:52 pm

The 340 is fine provided that the engine and gearbox mounts are in very good shape and you do not abuse the clutch.

The 1.4 is not slow and might be the best insurance bet for you.

The 1.7 is also a very good engine and can be upgraded to the 400 series 2ltr 8valve with only minimal effort. The 16 valve conversion is much more complex on LHD cars.

To convert to a Volvo red block you will need all the running gear from a 360 to do the conversion.
Dai

phone/text 07824887160

Joe Danger

Post by Joe Danger » 13 Nov 2013 03:51 pm

classicswede wrote:The 340 is fine provided that the engine and gearbox mounts are in very good shape and you do not abuse the clutch.

The 1.4 is not slow and might be the best insurance bet for you.

The 1.7 is also a very good engine and can be upgraded to the 400 series 2ltr 8valve with only minimal effort. The 16 valve conversion is much more complex on LHD cars.

To convert to a Volvo red block you will need all the running gear from a 360 to do the conversion.
Well here in Denmark, we do LHD cars..
so in other words - get the 360 ?

I think i would go for the volvo engine ?

I'm told that the Volvo engines are much more reliable.

- well i was looking for a Nissan 200sx S13 before.. so insurance wise, everything seems cheap.
... and then i smile

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 13 Nov 2013 05:06 pm

The other possible swap with LHD is either a B14 turbo (Renault 5) or a 440 1.7 turbo engine.

360 is the better drive line for power but even so by Volvo standards it is weak
Dai

phone/text 07824887160

Joe Danger

Post by Joe Danger » 13 Nov 2013 06:39 pm

classicswede wrote:The other possible swap with LHD is either a B14 turbo (Renault 5) or a 440 1.7 turbo engine.

360 is the better drive line for power but even so by Volvo standards it is weak
Hmm, okay

I think my plans will be something like, double carbs, exhaust, cooling and then stiffen it up a bit..
i guess that it would be able to go like that for some time ?

And thanks Dai ! or should i call you the guru of the 3s ? sm11
... and then i smile

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 13 Nov 2013 06:57 pm

My rule for tuning is start with the handling and then start making it go.

So start with replacing any worn suspension parts and upgrade where possible. Select the right kind of springs and dampers for your use. Wheels and tyres around 195 wide works well.

Engine stage zero service and tune up. If staying NA (non turbo) then a set of 45;s or 40's would do the trick (I keep the manifolds) combined with a free flowing exhaust and a cam upgrade would be good. Something like a V, K or H profile wold get the job done. You can even fit a 2.3 engine from a 240 or 740. Ideally to support the engine mods you would want some kind of tunable ignition system so that the advance curves can be adjusted.
Dai

phone/text 07824887160