volvo 340 van conversion

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
mac

Re: volvo 340 van conversion

Post by mac » 29 Aug 2014 07:29 pm

I'm intrigued by this,

Seen all sorts of trial and prototypes at Helmond and Born - the convertible, estate, etc. and my dept. even had a 345Van for a while (LHD) but I confess I never, ever saw a 343 van, let alone with rear seats left in place and RHD.

As to this being "Volvo" sanctioned - my guess would be one off by a dealer for a specific customer requirement - some sort of courier vehicle perhaps?? Seems to be based round an '84' DL (but has the GL chrome wheel rings and a dealer of aftermarket fit accessory glass sunroof.

IMHO definitely not a factory job. - love to be proved wrong though - something new seems to crop up every week.

Mac.
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 29 Aug 2014 08:35 pm

foggyjames wrote:although it's arguably worth a bit more for rarity value
I'd argue it's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

a) If no one has the desire to buy it, then it's worth nowt.
b) Just because it is rare, (a) still applies
c) Just because it is old, (a) still applies
d) (a) always applies.

"Rarity value" doesn't necessarily equate to higher monetary value. The mix of opinions (of desirability of ownership) so far leads me to conclude it's worth a similar amount to a regular V300. Maybe even less, as passengers desire to see outside (otherwise we'd all be going round in vans :D ). I've seen a number of base model classics that are far rarer now then their top-of-the-range brethren, fetch far less, because they are less desirable.

"Rarity value" in this case only adds up to bragging rights rather than cold, hard cash.
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

madseb

Post by madseb » 30 Aug 2014 10:02 pm

Im glad to have been avle ti construct a topic, that has caused some interesting debate.

I can reveal some more story details, as given to me by the owner..

In his words "purchased from a volvo dealer, new. It was one of two, brought into the country by "mistake".
The dealer was instructed to make them disapeer, But instead sold them.
One of the two remains with the other being written off in a t/a in the nineties.

It was uaed regularly, untill 1996 when it was put into a garage and forgotten about.

Ill be truthfully honest, this excited me at first, with the prospect of owning something so unique. But after sharing it with the masses, it seems its may not be as special, as i first believed.
Ill still attempt to liase with the owner, but if the price isnt right ill gladly reveal the details to purchase to anyone interested.
Im as yet to further hear from the owner.

madseb

Post by madseb » 30 Aug 2014 10:02 pm

I can also confirm, having seen the vehicle in the metal, that the sunroof is a volvo option (branded on the roof), and also the original volvo extinguisher.
Further additions are the volvo casette player. And also electric windows!
It seems to be a standard 1.4 engine, and has no other trick bits.
First inspection of the car would suggest its also rust free.

mac

Post by mac » 30 Aug 2014 10:55 pm

In his words "purchased from a volvo dealer, new. It was one of two, brought into the country by "mistake".
The dealer was instructed to make them disapeer, But instead sold them.
I call Ballcocks

If this is true such vehicles would never have been let anywhere near a dealer - let alone a dealer being given responsibility for disposal. They would have come through my department for that. In 1984 (the year of the vehicle shown) cars were NOT shipped direct to dealers from the factory - All UK cars came through the import centre for final quality and body inspection - I think a "mistake" like a previously unknown 2 door van might have been noticed.

Second comment - in 1984 there was a rapidly developing Eurowheeze called "homologation" whereby each specific version of a vehicle had to go through an inspection to ensure compliance to specific standards and specifications. Each vehicle sold req'd an homologation certificate to enable initial registration. My department were also responsible for liaison with the Dept.Of Transport (in Bristol) and for preparation for Type Approval inspections by gov.inspectors. Without a certificate for a van variant the vans could not have been registered. No such certificate for a RHD van variant ever existed (3 or 5 door).

I accept two "vans" could well have been fabricated by a dealer (after all dealers over the years created such things as a 165 estate, 200 and 700 Utes, 360 turbos and a 360 2.8 V6 - but (to avoid type approval issues) they were all created after the base vehicles had been sold.

Whoever is saying that these are factory "Vans" is either mistaken, telling porkies, really thinks it's April 1st, or is stirring the pot. In my personal opinion of course.

Mac (Volvo Car Product Quality Engineer/Homologation Engineer/Material Analysis Engineer 1974-1993)

madseb

Post by madseb » 31 Aug 2014 05:23 pm

Mac, your wisdom speaks volumes. And i dont douvt your right.
I look forwars to finding out the true origins of the cat.

Fascinating non the less, i hear there is a lot off paper wotk that could also awnser a few questions.
But allas we can obly speculate until the owner shows his hand.

mac

Post by mac » 31 Aug 2014 06:08 pm

Don't worry about doubting me - I still hope to learn something new every day - and I would be happy to be proved wrong in this case if it expands our collective knowledge - but:-

With my experience and long association with Volvo Car BV (and AB Volvo/Volvo car) I can aboslutely say that "one off" odd balls simply don't get produced by major car manufacturers and end up "at dealers by mistake".

Quite plainly somebody created this car in 1984 or later and time has gathered a story around it. We know it is created from a 3door, possibly a GLE in view of the electric windows and chrome trim rings. It however has DL side mouldings and an accessory glass sunroof (Volvo accessory - but dealer fit) and solid paint which points to a lower spec.
"True" factory vans were all 5door, LHD, and had a rear load floor - not rear seats - they were designed with the Dutch Post Office in mind.

Without a confirmed "history" it's impossible to set a value and I for one look forward to see what other snippets will emerge. IF the story is being embellished to "add value" in the hope that nobody can remember how things worked in the eighties then this forum is probably not the best place to find the gullible!

Of course the story may, over the years, have confused "Volvo" and "Volvo Dealer" - in many peoples minds the franchised dealer is as good as the factory - if this is a dealer creation it might well be thought of as "official" and the "mistake" and "sale" rather than "disposal" a later add-on.

Following this with interest!

Mac.

volvomania

Post by volvomania » 01 Sep 2014 09:32 am

Let us look at the bodyshell and the interior seperately.

I think, and I am sure that Mac will agree with this, that the only way to be 90% sure is to study either the car itself in person or detailed photographs of the interior (side panels inside, ...) and of the way the windows where blinded (inside and outside) besides the ones archived of "known" vans.
Normally a van should be missing the foldable front seats and the rear seat al together, but these could be added at a later stage.

Personally I have questionmarks with this car and it would be interesting to see what a VIN search in Volvo systems would give us.
Life is a journey, so sit back and enjoy the ride!

Born Built Beauties: Parts keeping our cars on the road!

http://www.Born-Built-Beauties.eu

360beast

Post by 360beast » 01 Sep 2014 04:00 pm

Could it be someone imported a van and fitted the rear seats and did a RHD conversion?

Hell Driver

Post by Hell Driver » 01 Sep 2014 09:44 pm

And change it from a 5 to 3 door :) !!!
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
343 DL (W 80) :-)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Transit Tipper 125 T350 (02)Alive Again!
Transit Tipper Smiley face Q reg
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)
R.I.P. 77 343 DL vario :-(

360beast

Post by 360beast » 01 Sep 2014 09:48 pm

Hell Driver wrote:And change it from a 5 to 3 door :) !!!
I forgot that bit :lol: