Hi!.... My odd 340 story

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
Ovylovy13

Hi!.... My odd 340 story

Post by Ovylovy13 » 31 May 2018 06:29 pm

Hi all, new to 300mania, I'm 22 from Kent in the UK, I am a huuuge Volvo fan, i brought my first car only 2 years back (fiat for 400 quid yuk) I brought and sold just to keep my license so I could save for my 340, which I have now owned for exactly a week!

Here is the odd story for you... I have a mechanical background and can get by without many problems so the following baffles me, I picked up my 340 last Thursday, drove it 45 miles home no problems at all, smooth sailing all the way, drove it to work and back Wednesday again all is good in the Volvo world, then comes Thursday morning.. without warning and I mean that in the literal sense my front passenger side wheel locks up at about 25 mph and pulls me straight into a very solid set of railings

Needles to say having owned a car that i have wanted for many years for the total sum of 36 hours then proceeding to come to a very sudden stop with a crunch, I was not best pleased..

Now it gets even stranger.. turns out my front passenger side wheel bearing had seized up, now i am 100% certian I could not hear or feel any whirring, whining, knocking or strange vibrations that would point to it being on its way out prior to the crunch moment, if anyone has experienced this before please do tell me but I am baffled as to why it never gave a warning, anyhow the 340 is down but not out, I shall post some pics of the damage If i can,
Thanks, Liam

360beast

Re: Hi!.... My odd 340 story

Post by 360beast » 31 May 2018 07:26 pm

Welcome to the forum Liam, sorry to hear you aren't having the best of times with your 340.

I honestly can say I have never heard of a wheel bearing locking up so I can't help woth that one sorry.

Ovylovy13

Re: Hi!.... My odd 340 story

Post by Ovylovy13 » 31 May 2018 07:56 pm

Thanks, no worries it's a new one to me to!