340 in Derby!

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
JLavelleee

340 in Derby!

Post by JLavelleee » 26 Oct 2022 08:25 pm

Hi, I've recently bought an 89' 340 1.4 3 door 40K miles. Having always been into older cars and now being able to insure one it only seemed right to get a 340!!

my dad had a 340 1.4 as his first car back in 98' which got used and abused a fair bit!!

I bought mine off a bloke in Selby, Yorkshire. I believe he is on this forum I just don't know his username! I do know his Instagram tag though.

Perfect spec for me, 1989 1.4 manual DL 3 door, heated seats which I need to have a look at, Sunroof, GLT spoiler, factory mud flaps and winter floor mats.

Its already sat on lowering springs and blocks, with 14" Steffan EVO 90s which are quite rare by the looks of things. I'd love a set of 13" alley cats or something but I reckon they'd look a bit lost in the arches unless I went lower and as a daily I don't fancy welding coil overs in it.

Originally bought from Pollendines of Frinton, Essex in 1989. Which was a Volvo and Fiat Dealer. Other than that I know no other history of it, i'm guessing the owner passed away and the family sold the car to its next owner without any paperwork. Along with another 340 but a Saloon with a very similar reg plate so possibly a his and a her's back in the day? MOT history says 40K miles up until a point where I'm under the impression the clocks broke and they got replaced with another set with 199K on the dials...

it also sports a dealership special pinstripe and Pollendine Sign writing decal above the Volvo badge!...

http://www.volvo300mania.com/uk/forum/d ... ew&id=3539

so chuffed with it, already got plenty of plans for it which I want to document on this forum... already sorted out a new hazard light switch and passenger side speaker cover, also got a set of replacement door handle gaskets coming from Classic Swede. I've also picked up a retro alpine head unit to drop in it.

Its got the original Pollendine reg plate which is fairly old and nasty so I recently ordered a set of replica dealer reg plates off of RetroPlates on Instagram, highly recommend! I opted to go for Speeds Volvo of Derby as a nod to my dads 340 which was bought from that dealer. I'll drop a photo once I've fitted them.

My need to do/buy list!

- 4" Alpine speakers for the front
- 6x9 Alpine surface speakers for the parcel shelf (I don't want to completely knacker up the intact shelf by cutting massive holes in it so having the speakers in enclosures with just a couple tiny screws holding them down feels much less destructive!!)
- OMP deep dish wheel (the DL spec with no steering adjustment doesn't help my short arms)
- new back box
- new manifold from Classic Swede
- Weber 40 DCOE
- spray parcel shelf back to factory grey
- 3D print headlight washer blanks

I'd like to document my progress with this car on here and give it some new history seen as I have nothing of its past!!!

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated, I'm located in Derby so any local 340's shout up!!!

Cheers, Justin.
Attachments
IMG_1027.jpg
89’ 340 DL

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: 340 in Derby!

Post by SteveP » 27 Oct 2022 12:54 pm

Tidy looking car that!
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

bogbasic

Re: 340 in Derby!

Post by bogbasic » 28 Oct 2022 12:47 am

Nice one!
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!