Back to the fold with a 360 GLT!

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Back to the fold with a 360 GLT!

Post by Ronnie » 27 Oct 2005 11:10 pm

Hello everybody!

I've just bought myself a 360GLT.

The first two cars I ever owned were 360GLT's, Mk3's both in silver metallic. After a few years messing about with a Renault-Dodge 3.5 ton van, an Audi and 3 VW's I have eventually gone and bought myself an '85 Mk2 360GLT in a deep russet red colour - and it's a 3 door with only 40k on the clock. I probably paid more than it was worth, but I wanted it. I'm very pleased. I love the combination of power, safety and cheapness all wrapped up in a rear wheel drive hatchback that you can only get from a 360.

Drove it back from Wales straight after buying it. Brakes gradually got worse all the way back with a lot of pedal travel, requiring pumping. Protyre have just given me new rear cylinders and shoes but say I also need a new master cylinder for silly money (they could only source the part from Volvo).

Are these units all the same, or specific to year/variant? I'm told that it's just the seals that are bad, anyone got a source for these alone? I have a go at most jobs car related - but have never got intimate with brakes. Is this a hard job? Any tips?

Only other thing is engine temp. Runs cool at about 3rd of the dial. Soon after buying it I took it for a good 10 mile burn at 90-100mph (before the brakes declared themselves!), and I ran hot at about 2/3 of the dial, but not hot enough to have flashing lights etc. It was not a particularly hot day. I'm thinking thermostat for running cool. What might be making me run hot - rad? water pump? viscous coulping on the fan?

In my youth I used to run these cars from London to the Highlands of Scotland and back at 90-110mph all the way and they never dropped a beat or had any temp problems - and those cars had more milage on the clock than this one.

Only other issue with it is that the rear spoiler is missing a chunk, but I think I've sourced a replacement already from Chris of Isle of White fame (who I think is active on here!).

It's good to join you - sorry about all the questions

Ronnie

340GLT
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by 340GLT » 27 Oct 2005 11:27 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum there is currently a master cylinder on ebay which is at something like £4.99 Dealers usually say they can only find a genuine replacement. If you are having problems i can ask my local parts shop. i bought a new rear wheel cylinder the other day no problems!!
Cheers Adam
F559 LFE - 340R 2.0 16v
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 28 Oct 2005 12:20 am

Howdy Ronnie! Welcome to our merry gang! Now what was I saying about low mileage cars not being any easier... :wink:

I think you're sorted there on the master cylinder.

The thermostat has got to come out. There are two versions available - 85 and 92 degrees. Pass on which one to get!

Also check the condition of your radiator. Mine (at 17 years) had at least 1/4 of the cooling area missing, causing overheating, especially with my performance upgrade.

I'd say a combination of the two is probably to blame.

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

5lab
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by 5lab » 28 Oct 2005 10:15 am

lo mate

that is a lovely car. i'd suggest it sounds like something is leaking - i had a similar problem when my rear brake cylendar went pop, albeit on a worse scale

regarding temps - it could easily just be your gauge. i'd replace that first (cos you can get them for next to nothing) and see what happens..
Siddy-'87 360 Glt lhd convertible
Swapsea-'89 360GLT-swapped!
Leah-'84 340GL-sold! Maisie-'85 340GL-sold!
Snowy-'88 360GLE-killed by a truck! Dougle-'89 360GLT-dead&stolen!
Nessy-'86 340GL-foggy's! Grace-'86 360GLT-gone!

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 28 Oct 2005 11:13 am

ronnie if your coming to the meet I have a temp gauge you can have

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 28 Oct 2005 06:53 pm

Nah I doubt its the gauge. James is right. Cool running on cruise is a duff thermostat. You need the 92 degree one. The hot running is almost certainly a clogged rad.

When you drain the system to fit the thermo then take the front bumper off. and take the rad out and give it a good ol' flush, backwards and forwards with a hose. Keep going until the water runs clear. Some people use a cooling system flush solution but I've no experience of it. If you can't get it cleared out you might need a new rad.

With the brakes if you can get a second hand master cylinder then make sure its in good nick. Run some brake fluid through it and push the plunger a good few times to make sure the fluid is clean and not manky. If in any doubt, I'd spend the 100 or so quid and get the Volvo one, because if you think about it brakes is not something you want to mess about with.

Good luck and post back if you need any help

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Ronnie » 28 Oct 2005 10:27 pm

Thanks for all the unput guys, I probably should have put all these questions in the technical section.

I'm bidding on a master cylinder on eBay, please don't bid against me because I need it more than you! Trust me, my car is scary!

My thoughts exactly re under/over heating. Need a new thermostat and a sorting out of the rad. I really doubt it's the guage. Where is the thermostat? My Haynes is in the post. On the VW's I've run for the last couple of years it was in the bottom of the water pump...

Strangely tonight I saw a girl driving about East Bristol in an old 360GLT, didn't clock the reg, but the car looked even older than me. The girl looked a bit punk/goth - anyone on here?

Sorry, can't make the meet - my firstborn is due around then! Catch you at the next one.

Cheers

Ronnie

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 28 Oct 2005 10:42 pm

Ronnie wrote:I'm bidding on a master cylinder on eBay, please don't bid against me because I need it more than you! Trust me, my car is scary!
There's a gentleman's agreement along those lines here, so declare your eBay ID, and you ought to get left alone.
Ronnie wrote: Where is the thermostat? My Haynes is in the post. On the VW's I've run for the last couple of years it was in the bottom of the water pump...
In the housing for the top hose on the head. I think I'd fit the (hotter) 92 degree version, on reflection.

I don't think the lass is registered here.

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...