That was a Volvo 340...

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
Duvel78
Website Admin

Post by Duvel78 » 13 Aug 2004 09:05 pm

foggyjames wrote:To be fair, looking at the cars they've destroyed....they were all wrecks before they started.

I don't agree. (concerning the red 360 GL)

Firstly, who tells you that the car was a wreck before they started?

When I go to the scrap yard, I see cars that NEVER should be there, with NO rust or damage (minor sometimes), they are there just because they are old and nobody want that (or because the owner won't pay a last reparation). When my Volvo dealer sells a new Volvo to someone, they keep the old one and don't believe they will try to sell that old Volvo 340, 240 or 740! The final destination is: SCRAP YARD, although the car shouln't go there.

Secondly, I call a real "wreck" a damaged car that will never come back on the road again and WHERE THE GOOD PARTS ARE DISMANTLED. Not the case here on the website.
foggyjames wrote:I can't see the harm in destroying something with no real value, which is easily replaced, and which isn't at all rare or cherished.
I am sorry but that's the fuck... mentality that I hate in the rich countries like here in western europe, where we consume, consume and consume! Something without a real value for YOU has maybe a great value for another guy or someone else living in the world. Furthermore, when I look to that website and see that they destroy cars like little stupid boys with a 4 years old maturity (putting water instead of oil in the engine, using hammers to break everything and so on), I'm really angry cause there are other ways for "having fun". My parents haven't teach me to destroy things "for fun" and I thank them. It's maybe hard what I say, all apologies if I offense someone with what I said. I don't talk about the first pictures where it's a race. In that case it's totally different and I would say it's a pitty for the cars. But for the red 360 GL, it's a shame and I don't like that. Sorry again to be angry. :oops:

Would you like a red interior Aymat? I see those in the scrap yard occasionally...
Probably in the future, when I will have all models of the Volvo 300 range :P Is it dark red velour?
Collection: '78 343 Black Beauty, '82 345 GLS, '83 340 DL 2.0, '84 340 DL vario, '88 360 GLT 5d (2x) & 4d (2x), '89 GLT, '91 340 vario
Dad's cars: '87 340 vario, '89 340 vario
Lot of donors cars and parts...
V3M for life!

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 13 Aug 2004 10:50 pm

Easy Aymat dude, don't blow a gasket!

I completely agree with what you're saying...but what I meant is that I'd rather see a 'bland' common car destroyed than a rare one. I see 340s in the scrap yard every week, but they're all the same (they sold hundreds of thousands of the 'regular' cars). Its the rare 360 GLT 3-dr with the unusual accessories which would be cubed in-tact if it weren't for me raiding it which upsets me. Even then I know a perfectly good B200E has just been destroyed.

Having said that, I used to get upset every time I went to the scrap yard, especially when I saw the first few 360s - I stripped anything of use from them in a effort to make their demise 'worthwhile'.

And my choice of car ownership ought to tell you how I feel about scrapping cars when they get to be 'bangers' to everyone else! I love nothing else than out-accellerating prick reps in BMW 316s from roundabouts :) The look of amazement is classic. £20k of BMW owned by £100 of dutch mid 80s mediocrity. That's my statement to the car market!

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

Duvel78
Website Admin

Post by Duvel78 » 13 Aug 2004 11:12 pm

foggyjames wrote:Easy Aymat dude, don't blow a gasket!
LOL It's not the moment for that now! :P No it's ok, my anger is gone (and don't worry, it was an anger against the destroyers, not you :wink: )

I share your point of view in your last post... But you know, even if it's a "common" 340, I take all the good parts, it must not be necessary a 360 with accessories.
Collection: '78 343 Black Beauty, '82 345 GLS, '83 340 DL 2.0, '84 340 DL vario, '88 360 GLT 5d (2x) & 4d (2x), '89 GLT, '91 340 vario
Dad's cars: '87 340 vario, '89 340 vario
Lot of donors cars and parts...
V3M for life!

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 14 Aug 2004 01:49 pm

Very true...I got my first gauge kit (and my gauge 'panel' with voltmeter and oil pressure gauge) from a 340 1.7. Having said that, it tends to be 360s with the goodies.

cheers

James
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164

greken

Post by greken » 03 Nov 2004 07:34 am

Duvel78 wrote:
foggyjames wrote:Easy Aymat dude, don't blow a gasket!
LOL It's not the moment for that now! :P No it's ok, my anger is gone (and don't worry, it was an anger against the destroyers, not you :wink: )
So you (Duvel78) have anger against us at http://www.gemigdinbil.nu
You think that we destroy something good like a scrapy old 360, you must be crazy !!
How do you think that the Nature would look like if everybody was like you ??
Driving old cars, that polutes the nature.
I can see your point, if you like a 360 or 340. But who wants to take care of an scrapy 340 in Sweden ??
These cars (340:is and 360:is) we destroy in our movies, was going to end on the scrapyard anyway .... all we did was hade some fun.
And now YOU say that "you have anger against us" :?:

OK !!

I have ANGER against you, for driving a "dirty" old car instaed of an new "clean" one. :idea:

By the way .... we have an 360 GL in good shape, shall we make a Movie with the 360 ???
OR ...
Do you want to take care of the car ???

// Greken GMDB-Crew (and Damn proud of it)

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 03 Nov 2004 08:44 am

Idiots. I don't see any fun destroying any cars. I mean even though they were gonna get scrapped anyhow but my idea of fun isn't wasting my time for fu*king up some cars.. Real redneck fun.. "Woohoo look it is broken yippee" Instead I'd rather get some good turbo motors and build some sleepers.. ;) And what comes to pollution I don't even have a catalysator but I have a 2 litre turbo in 360. Now you must be really angry cos I'm polluting the nature so much... Oh we have two of those things.. Damn I'm a real enviroinment threat... New cars? No thank's.. Not for me. Bunch of computers on wheels and you can't do much with engine nor anything else..
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 03 Nov 2004 09:30 am

do's this mean we won't be seeing our new member GREKEN at the meet then !!! (if you come bring your own body bag son )

greken

Post by greken » 03 Nov 2004 09:54 am

Fuse wrote:Idiots. I don't see any fun destroying any cars. I mean even though they were gonna get scrapped anyhow but my idea of fun isn't wasting my time for fu*king up some cars.. Real redneck fun.. "Woohoo look it is broken yippee" Instead I'd rather get some good turbo motors and build some sleepers.. ;) And what comes to pollution I don't even have a catalysator but I have a 2 litre turbo in 360. Now you must be really angry cos I'm polluting the nature so much... Oh we have two of those things.. Damn I'm a real enviroinment threat... New cars? No thank's.. Not for me. Bunch of computers on wheels and you can't do much with engine nor anything else..
Now we are getting somwhere :twisted:
Did i get you so angry ?? Thats funny
But i see that you dont have any idea what i meen with "polluting cars"
It was a sarkastic comment, i my self have a Volvo PV and a Volvo 240 that pollutes the enviroment.
The comment was ment for Mr Duvel78 for being so angry.
So if you dont like Car trashing, then dont visit our site.
(Älä nyt rupea itkemään vanhan romu volvon viestä)
And yes... you can do Anything you like with New engines ... if only you know how :wink:

// Greken (OHO !! osasko Hurri Suomea !!??)

greken

Post by greken » 03 Nov 2004 09:55 am

redline wrote:do's this mean we won't be seeing our new member GREKEN at the meet then !!! (if you come bring your own body bag son )
Comment from a 15 year old school boy ??

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 03 Nov 2004 10:07 am

No Greken I am not a 15 year old schoolboy , what I said was a joke
I have probably modded ,customised and raced more cars than you have had hot dinners and probeably crashed more as well LOL
. (By the way there is no K in sarcastic).

why dont you practice what you preach
You said" So if you dont like Car trashing, then dont visit our site "
If you don't have any thing constructive to say stay off of our site,
its not as though you have a 300 anyway and its very disrespectful coming onto someone else's site and dissing its members.

greken

Post by greken » 03 Nov 2004 11:36 am

redline wrote: I have probably modded ,customised and raced more cars than you have had hot dinners and probeably crashed more as well
?? And by that you mean .....?

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 03 Nov 2004 01:14 pm

just dont presume things about people you don't know.

greken

Post by greken » 03 Nov 2004 01:30 pm

redline wrote:just dont presume things about people you don't know.
You mean like you do, in the statement above. sm32

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 03 Nov 2004 02:57 pm

I didn't presume thats why I said probably.
I think we should both respect each others differences of opinion and leave it at that,
This site is for enthusiasts of the 300 series volvo
Your site is for people who like crashing cars .
different strokes for different folks
the difference is that out of respect to your views and interests ,I would not dream of coming onto your forum and dissing its members .

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 03 Nov 2004 03:05 pm

I know you were being sarcastic, but eco-warriors forget that about 40% of the natural resources a car 'consumes' during its lifespan are during its manufacture and disposal.

To be honest, I don't have a big problem with you smashing up cars that are only going to be scrapped anyway. I've abused a few cars in the scrap yard in my time...mainly when they're refusing to give up parts! I'm not at all sure what you get out of it, but never mind! I would have a problem with you smashing up a perfectly good car - especially something rare and desireable.

BTW...I think Duvel78 was annoyed mainly because that 360 had the rare red interior ;)

cheers

James
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164