Volvo story

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
volvo360

Volvo story

Post by volvo360 » 13 Jan 2004 09:55 pm

So neat, I'll play a little hookie with my school
books and write a few lines about how I bought my second Volvo :D
Well, it was one of the most intense blizzards I've ever seen. The time was January 2002.
Temperatures were reaching Siperia like readings, wind blew wilder than you can imagine and
on top of that, it was "snowing" like hell. Snowing in citation marks cause white stuff was
practically being shot down from the sky.
Somewhere in the middle of the storm you might've spotted (if you had roentgen eyes like
Superman) a Metallic Grey Volvo zig-zagging through the ice and snow packed roads.
As it was, I had arranged an appointment with a car restorer whom somebody had paid his
depth with a Volvo 360. The car restorer being broke and not interested in the car, there were
good chances I might be riding that beauty home.
Everything went somewhat smoothly and we agreed on a test drive. Since gas was almost all
(not sure if that translates well from German...), the seller suggested me to drive to the nearest
gas station to get some gas. This is where the troubles began.
It took me some time to navigate through the snowstorm, but finally I found my goal. As usual,
my financial status was zero except for the five euros I got from the seller for gas. So my plan
was to fill her up and get back.
Unfortunately, the forces of nature weren't playing along and the gas pump froze in the
on-position. There I was some 30 euros later standing helplessly next to my future Volvo
unable to stop tanking. Finally, I found a man who made the gas gauge stop. You may well
image how long it took me to convince the staff at the station about the broken gas pump.
Finishing business there, I headed back to the seller's home.
The road back was a 1,5 lane small country road in the middle of large fields. Naturally wind
had blown everything full of snow, but that didn't really matter because you couldn't see
anyway due to the snowstorm.
A car, whose driver obviously thought he owned the road, approached from the opposite
direction. I made a correcting steering manoeuvre to avoid collision and ended up in a ditch
(filled with snow, of course). A quick call to the seller and he promised to come and tow me out
in 20 minutes.
After some time a man approached from the storm. Due to extreme snow-wind-combination
recognization was impossible, I assumed it was him so I told him to sit into the car "because it
was his car"? while we'd try to push it with another man who'd emerged from the storm. A
miracle happened and we were able to muster enough power to push the car just enough
back to the road for the rear wheels to take contact. Soon both men disappeared as soon as
they'd appeared. I assumed the seller went back home.
To my astonishment, when I returned, the seller hadn't even left (the tow car didn't start)... I
wonder who those two men were, one of the whom I made sit "in his own car"? :wink:
If you read this far, you must be either really bored or just interested in my story...
Naturally, one has to experience such a thing to able to appreciate all the twists I've been
trying to describe ;)
Cheers
Ari

volvo360

Pics

Post by volvo360 » 13 Jan 2004 10:03 pm

Here are some pics (click to enlarge):

Duvel78
Website Admin

Re: Volvo story

Post by Duvel78 » 15 Jan 2004 08:19 pm

volvo360 wrote:Unfortunately, the forces of nature weren't playing along
and the gas pump froze in the on-position. There I was some 30 euros later standing helplessly
next to my future Volvo unable to stop tanking. Finally, I found a man who made the gas
gauge stop.
sm54 sm54 sm54 sm54 sm54 sm54 sm54
Where do you live in Finland? in Lapland? sm61 I can imagine the storm... Brrr, I'm freezing!
It's a really nice story! sm99
But why is the paint so tern? Where is the gloss?? (are you the driver on the first picture?)
Collection: '78 343 Black Beauty, '82 345 GLS, '83 340 DL 2.0, '84 340 DL vario, '88 360 GLT 5d (2x) & 4d (2x), '89 GLT, '91 340 vario
Dad's cars: '87 340 vario, '89 340 vario
Lot of donors cars and parts...
V3M for life!

volvo360

wh33 again

Post by volvo360 » 15 Jan 2004 10:51 pm

sm80 somebody read the story!
I live in the southwesternern part of Finland (Turku, which is one of the warmest places in this
country). Temparatures between +5 and -20 celcius are normal during winter. And indeed,
that's me leaning on the drivers door.
The paint is a story itself but it goes well with the overall image of a matt black ghetto buster ;)
It appears the car has undergone some heavy rust repair and has at least three different coats
of paint (white --> metallic blue --> matt black). The origin of the car still is somewhat
undetermined, but I'm guessing it came from a swedish speaking community (second offical
language in Finland, most of the archipelago area is swedish speaking).
All in all, there are some funny stories about people confusing my car with a "black" taxi
(illegal, private --> cheap) and getting spontaneusly inside... I will resist the desire to write
about them right now, though. sm73
Ari

quentin

Post by quentin » 17 Jan 2004 10:06 am

That' s cool and interesting story. am looking forward to
reading you agian on your Volvo experiences. sm29
Just one question, am I dreaming or do you have a Volvo Compilation chillout album?
It's amazing because I also made my Volvo Compilations at home sm37 sm82 sm69 sm77 ,
volume 2 will soon be available. 44 euros is a little expensive for me, but if you're interested
we can have a deal sm70

Duvel78
Website Admin

Re: wh33 again

Post by Duvel78 » 18 Jan 2004 04:25 am

volvo360 wrote:The origin of
the car still is somewhat undetermined
Stolen, and then used for a murder... sm53
volvo360 wrote:from a swedish speaking community (second offical
language in Finland, most of the archipelago area is swedish speaking)
I see, it's the Aland island? I've learned that long time ago... sm19
volvo360 wrote:All in all, there are some funny stories about people
confusing my car with a "black" taxi (illegal, private --> cheap) and getting spontaneusly
inside...
Great, nice stories in the future! sm69
Collection: '78 343 Black Beauty, '82 345 GLS, '83 340 DL 2.0, '84 340 DL vario, '88 360 GLT 5d (2x) & 4d (2x), '89 GLT, '91 340 vario
Dad's cars: '87 340 vario, '89 340 vario
Lot of donors cars and parts...
V3M for life!