Oh, oh, you're in the army now

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
Fuse

Oh, oh, you're in the army now

Post by Fuse » 04 Dec 2006 10:51 pm

So I won't be writing here as much as usual for like some first month of the year 2007 as I'm starting my military service in January. We have conscript army here, so for all men starting at age 18 it's mandatory to serve at least 6 months. (If I'm lucky I'll serve 6 if not it will be 9 or 12.) Basically it's just grown men playing in the woods and doing tasks which usually argue against common sense.. :lol: (For example there's always big hurry to everywhere but when you get there where you are hurrying, you just have to wait for couple of hours or such to do what you're supposed to do there.. :D) Well.. When you don't take it too seriously it won't be so bad. Hell.. free meals, accomodation, transportation and they even pay you some nominal sum per day and you don't have to think anything yourself.. :lol: I'll take it as a good nerve relaxation between studying.

First month will be kinda busy, but then it gets easier and most weekends are off. Which means I'll get to write here. :lol:

I was supposed to start my service a year ago, but I got some weird virus based infection which made all my joints damn sore and it lasted a half a year so they delayed my service for a year.. But now I'm fine so I'll be starting my service at January 8th. Place where I'm serving is about 2h trip from here by train and I was placed on air defence so after basic training we'll be playing with aa-guns and such.. :P At first it's same for all because it's basic traning for first month or so.

Over and out. :lol:
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by petefarrell360 » 04 Dec 2006 11:02 pm

Wow, good luck mate! Sounds interesting. Something that would never happen over here again, for many reasons! Yeah, I've never understood the rush everywhere thing, for no reason! Oh well, make the most of it, it's another experience.

I'm not sure I'd be able to keep quiet when someone of a higher ranking decides to belittle you. I'm afraid I'm not a follower like sheep, I can be quite outspoken!

Good luck and keep posting on V3M and look after the 300's.

Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 05 Dec 2006 12:38 am

Good luck, remember to leave your brain to home, that is what I have heard is best thing to do :P :lol:

They did not want me, maybe I'm just too crazy but they say that I have no chance to join sm43

Really it is my back, there is parts missing so they did not like from risk of wrecking it completely.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 05 Dec 2006 08:45 am

petefarrell360 wrote: Something that would never happen over here again, for many reasons! Pete
mores the pity ,

perhaps if National Service came back there wouldent be so much violence and crime on our streets .

At least the little shits woulden't have the excuse that they beat ,robbed and raped an old age pensioner because they were bored.

rant over !!!

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Ronnie » 05 Dec 2006 11:17 am

Good luck, Fuse and make the best of it! At least you'll have lots of toys to play with and you are bound to make many new friends.

As for national service here in the UK, I would not be at all surprised if something like that came in here in the near future - at least for people who don't go to university
'85 360GLT Mk2 3 Door B19E - SOLD
'94 L400 Mitsubishi Delica LWB

http://www.filterfeeder.eu

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 05 Dec 2006 12:22 pm

Ronnie wrote:As for national service here in the UK, I would not be at all surprised if something like that came in here in the near future - at least for people who don't go to university
why should smart arses be left out ?

they are usually the ones who benefit most ,otherwise the majority are left with all brains and no common sense

( please note I said the majority , I consider all V3M members a minority :lol: )

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Ronnie » 05 Dec 2006 02:40 pm

The UK has the worst youth problems in Europe - it tends not to be the university candidates who get the ASBO's, steal cars, stab people and generally behave like total little shits.

The problem is out of control and someone is going to have to something about it pretty soon
'85 360GLT Mk2 3 Door B19E - SOLD
'94 L400 Mitsubishi Delica LWB

http://www.filterfeeder.eu

d3k4y0
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by d3k4y0 » 05 Dec 2006 08:52 pm

The problem is, you can't tell people what to do over here because half of the country has become so litigious that the other half are scared of saying or doing anything that might get them sued.
This country has gone to the dogs because of a simple lack of respect all round, national service would address this, but i dont think it would cure it completely.
That said, I have a massive amount of respect for anyone who can stick it in the armed forces, I know I wouldn't last 10 minutes even if they'd take me!
All the best mate, don't let the bastards grind you down!

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 05 Dec 2006 11:26 pm

Yeah conscript army has been a hot topic for about last 10 years in here too.

Though most people are still in favor of it, as we still have the optional "civil service" thingy, where you don't go to armed forces, but you serve your duties in different public community sectors, like healthcare, education etc...

That's mandatory 13 months though, so most still choose armed forces, because it's 12 months maximum (if you don't start a career ;) ) and many get with 6 months, and in my opinion it's much more of an experience, because it's something very different than the normal life so that's why I chose it. But everyone chooses as they like. :)

Also Finland is quite sparsely populated country, Southern Finland excluded, so professional military might not work quite well, including the fact that Finland's population is just a bit over 5 million.

And of course the strongest influence is probably the history/heritage thing. Everyone has some relatives who fought in "Talvisota" (Winter war) and "Jatkosota" (Continuation War), (both of my grand fathers did) so many have maybe a feel of debt to the older generation who fought back then to keep our country independent. :P

Interesting fact, which many don't know, btw. is that UK actually declared war against Finland for some time, in the 40's in time of the Continuation War, because of the German relations of the Finnish government at the time. :P (Germans provided material support etc. though the Winter war and Continuation war were quite separate from the WWII or other situations and relations around the world back then) Though it didn't lead to any battles or anything else, but the formal declaration. ;)

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

V6 Man
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by V6 Man » 05 Dec 2006 11:36 pm

Useless fact no 3659:

Britain and Finland are the only two democracies to have declared war on each other yet never fired a single shot in anger against each others forces.
Terms and conditions apply. This post may go down as well as up. Regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Hard hats to be worn. No reversing without a banksman. No admittance to unauthorized persons. Stop that. Put that down. Leave that alone.

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 05 Dec 2006 11:43 pm

I think more wars nowadays should be like that, it would be much nicer to all parties involved. :lol:

d3k4y0
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by d3k4y0 » 06 Dec 2006 12:39 am

It was only a matter of formality, you where allied to Germany, if we'd not declared war on you, we'd have been hypocritical... and far be it from the British government to be hypocritical... *COUGH*trident*COUGH*

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 06 Dec 2006 01:02 am

Haha yeah I know. :P

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 07 Jan 2007 10:11 pm

So tomorrow I'll be heading about 150km to north from here. My cousin is now serving there also, currently as a Corporal (he's serving 12 months) so he's told me the basics what's going to happen, so there shouldn't be any big surprises. ;)

It's going to be quite busy for a first week as we're getting all the equipment etc.. but it should slow down a bit in few weeks. :P

I'll be leaving the car at home for now, it's easier to go by train when I got free tickets and I don't have to drive when tired etc.. I washed the GLT today so it'll be nice and clean when I get free weekends in two or three weeks.. :lol:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/mtn/images/autot/GLT/puhdasta.JPG

A M R

Post by A M R » 07 Jan 2007 10:42 pm

byeeeeeeee!