Trouble ahead?

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 11 Jan 2007 10:20 am

And with the new MOT system, it supposedly makes it all a lot harder to slip the guy a bottle of whisky....

As for the 25 year thing, there is a petition on number 10's site, Nick sent it to me the other day, I think he want's free tax for the Dolly ;)

Considering F plates only have 6/7 years for it, pays us to get it pushed through, we'll all be covered by 2016!!!
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 11 Jan 2007 11:49 am

The new MOT system can still be 'tweaked' cos the computer only knows what you tell it :P,

The emissions test is pretty easy to pass tbh and really doesn't tell whether the engine is in good tune or not.

Nick C

Post by Nick C » 11 Jan 2007 11:50 am

Chris_C wrote:As for the 25 year thing, there is a petition on number 10's site, Nick sent it to me the other day, I think he want's free tax for the Dolly ;)
Damn right, it's a classic and deserves some sort of recognition! all mk1 340s would be covered too...

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/historiccartax/

A M R

Post by A M R » 11 Jan 2007 07:57 pm

pettaw wrote:The new MOT system can still be 'tweaked' cos the computer only knows what you tell it :P,

The emissions test is pretty easy to pass tbh and really doesn't tell whether the engine is in good tune or not.
yep this is right.
pretty easy to fool the computer.

actually one time, we MOT'd a ML55 AMG. the brakes were so good the brake test roller thingy mahine couldnt take it and wouldnt let it pass unless the brake was applied a little less hard lol.

petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by petefarrell360 » 11 Jan 2007 08:08 pm

Done and done. I never understood how they could stop the free tax barrier moving with the years. It means too much lost revenue!

Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........

trabitom99
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by trabitom99 » 01 Apr 2008 03:39 pm

Just thought I'd bump my first ever post in a V3M thread.
SteveP wrote:Can't really be bothered to say much about it, another pointless politician thought - but I'd love to see how they'll enforce it all. I'll be suprised if it happens, a 10year old car nowdays is barely run in.
trabitom99 wrote:"Stuttgart's tough rules will result in many cars sold before 1996 and virtually all cars sold before 1992 being banned."

No way they're going to get that through. There're load of pre '92 cars driving around all over Germany's big cities. I can't wait to see someone trying to tell some Merc CEO that he can't take his gullwing out to the shops anymore.
... and I was ever so wrong! They ARE enforcing it, as from today! Without a 3-way catalytic converter, and a colour-coded sticker on your windscreen to match, your Volvo 300 is BANNED from Cologne, Stuttgart, Berlin, Hannover, the whole of the Ruhr area soon, and undoubtably several other European countries once politicians have realised this is a great way of getting people to buy new cars :-(

Tom
343 GL Touring B14.1E CVT (155) 98000kms 1980 (sold)
343 L Junior B14.3E MT4 (155) 229000kms 1981 (scrapped)
343 DLS B19A MT4 (155) 167900kms 1982
360 GL Injection B200F MT5 (231) 348598kms 1988 (scrapped)
360 GLT B200F MT5 (302) 230000kms 1988

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 01 Apr 2008 09:46 pm

pettaw wrote:The new MOT system can still be 'tweaked' cos the computer only knows what you tell it :P,

Often the mixture is adjusted to pass then reset to for the engine to run right
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 01 Apr 2008 10:13 pm

some mot stations dont even do that Dai ,

I heard a guy took his car to a place where he new the tester and told him the emissions were out but the car ran fine so the tester shoved the probe up the exhaust of a mondeo that was in and had already passed.

how bad is that

Jason B
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Jason B » 01 Apr 2008 10:16 pm

I'm pretty sure when I got ptf tested the carbs were not in passable tune! passed fine though (probably tuned to test and then back again)
'89 360 GLE awaiting 2.3 power

sven360

Post by sven360 » 01 Apr 2008 10:28 pm

redline wrote:some mot stations dont even do that Dai ,

I heard a guy took his car to a place where he new the tester and told him the emissions were out but the car ran fine so the tester shoved the probe up the exhaust of a mondeo that was in and had already passed.

how bad is that
:shock:
Thought I told you to keep that to yasel' :roll:
Keeper of The Knights' of Bushido-lest we forget

Write it in your heart.
Stand by the code and it will stand by you.

Ask no more and give no less than honesty,courage,loyalty,generosity and fairness.

The code of the West.

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Ronnie » 01 Apr 2008 10:30 pm

trabitom99 wrote:Without a 3-way catalytic converter, and a colour-coded sticker on your windscreen to match, your Volvo 300 is BANNED from Cologne, Stuttgart, Berlin, Hannover, the whole of the Ruhr area soon, and undoubtably several other European countries once politicians have realised this is a great way of getting people to buy new cars :-(
Outrageous, totally. This really worries me... It's just a matter of time before this hops across the North Sea
'85 360GLT Mk2 3 Door B19E - SOLD
'94 L400 Mitsubishi Delica LWB

http://www.filterfeeder.eu

filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by filthyjohn » 02 Apr 2008 02:47 am

trabitom99 wrote:They ARE enforcing it, as from today! Without a 3-way catalytic converter, and a colour-coded sticker on your windscreen to match, your Volvo 300 is BANNED from Cologne, Stuttgart, Berlin, Hannover, the whole of the Ruhr area soon, and undoubtably several other European countries once politicians have realised this is a great way of getting people to buy new cars :-(

Tom

That's the beginning of the end right there. Current 'environmental' policies are totally out of control, something must be done, but I'm at a loss as to what. Mass civil disobedience didn't work when they introduced poll tax, and people are too chicken to stand up for themselves these days.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 02 Apr 2008 03:09 am

The other way of looking at it is that we could just fit catalytic convertors. A universal 3" race cat is about £75 if you know where to look.

I know it's kinda beside the point, but if modern cars can make monster power yet pass the emissions stuff....doesn't that just make us lazy? I mean we have to be responsible, up to a point.

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

hatch360

Post by hatch360 » 02 Apr 2008 04:40 am

hehehe reading from ther top of this post I thought the infamous AMR had returned

petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by petefarrell360 » 02 Apr 2008 06:07 am

LOL! Hatch, I thought the same!

Filthyjohn is right, people are too chicken to stand up against anything. There are always people who will complain, but when it comes to action or complaining in a way that will get noticed they don't bother. IMO the congestion charge was the beginning of the end. It's done nothing to stop congestion, just another way of relieving us of money. Now other cities want to adopt the scheme.

The new green emissions zones in London, another con. My van, despite passing an MOT, will not be allowed into London after 2010 as it won't meet the emission requirements they've set, and I would be charged a fine of £200! They've introduced it in a clever manner, groups of vehicles at a time, so the amount of people affected and who will complain at a time is smaller, that way a campaign gets less weight and support behind it. I noticed the signs when they went up and like others entering London was left pretty confused, half expecting a fine to turn up on my doorstep. However as I say, it's currently lorries over 7.5 tonnes I think, so everything that goes into London by road is affected.

Now, it's only going to affect the smaller businesses, the large companies normally update their fleets pretty often. So it isn't going to affect them at all, however the smaller company who relies on using cheaper older vehicles will be. I won't be conforming, London can stick their business up their ****. I choose to own a large, high topped, simpler turbo diesel LDV, I don't want to spend thousands on a new van that will cost the earth to get serviced as I can't work on it, mine works fine and meets my needs perfectly thanks!

There was an example of a scrapyard in Central London somewhere that was using one of the oldest lorries or something along those lines in England everyday, however the new green emissions zone means it will not be allowed to leave the yard, unless they want to pay a £200 fine everytime!

I'm not going to continue doing any work in central London, the place stinks, it's grubby, there's nowhere to park, if there is it costs the earth, its congested beyond belief, and you get robbed for the priviledge of sitting in the traffic and you're more likely to get blown up, and now they want to fine me or stop me taking my van in, no thanks, it's not for me!

So..... how can they ban cars of a certain age from entering cities, or requiring a cat? I'm sure Ronnie and Tom are right, it'll spread, as soon as it's seen as either a simple money making scheme in fines, or makes people buy new cars.

On another note, remember when there was the hint of pay per mile tax, and a device to be fitted to your car to track and record the mileage, so adding to the nanny state this country is increasingly heading towards?

Tom, how does this new rule affect foreign visitors, i.e. if I took my UK MOT'd 360 without cat over there and drove into the city? It doesn't need one in this country, (currently) but does there.

As with all these things, it either affects the person who chooses to use an older car and is denied that right of freedom of choice, or hits the people worst off, who have no choice but to drive older cars that cost less in the first place.

I did however notice a bit of a public moan when there was a tax either introduced or planned to be introduced on vehicles of a certain engine capacity, to be paid ontop of the initial purchase cost. It hit one of the Porsche models quite hard, and of course would affect sales, so they had a good moan. Not sure how it ended, didn't really have the time to read it all.

I'll now climb down off of my soapbox, but soon you won't be able to drive anywhere, own, use, look at, appreciate, save, restore or buy a car over 10 years old! How are classics and historic vehicles that are part of history ever going to be preserved and saved, but also used. Not everyone wants to put them in a museum unused!

Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........