Not everybodys friend

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
ilu-azuma

Post by ilu-azuma » 18 Aug 2007 08:53 am

another vid and better quality this time

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d8AjEGgC8nE

petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by petefarrell360 » 18 Aug 2007 02:22 pm

Looking good! I bet you want to get out and play at speed asap! Roughly how many hours do you think it's taken so far?
Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........

Johnny A

Post by Johnny A » 18 Aug 2007 03:53 pm

Don't worry about not owning a Volvo, I'm a Vauxhall fan (although I am working on my Girlfriend's 340) and these guys are very welcoming.
Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 16v supercharged
Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 M-V6 - Looks pretty standard, but it isn't
Girlfriends project 340 - Big engine, big wheels and lots of smoothing

ilu-azuma

Post by ilu-azuma » 19 Aug 2007 09:08 pm

Couldn't say how many hours - but I have been at for over 4 years, mainly during the summer months as I don't have power at the lock-up.

You're right I'm dying to give it a blast, but I'm going to restrain myself and start the body work. It certainly feels OK with the 340 running gear.

ilu-azuma
Doing something different
www.freewebs.com/ilu-azuma

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 11 Mar 2008 03:24 pm

How was last summer? Soon new one comes, maybe good weathers to drive too if you got car finished? :)

It is very tempting to take B200, install turbo in it and build such chassis for it, must think this a bit, but for trackday car that should work pretty nicely.

Here it is impossible to get plates on such car, so only trackday usage is possible.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 14 Mar 2008 04:32 pm

jtbo wrote:
It is very tempting to take B200, install turbo in it and build such chassis for it, must think this a bit, but for trackday car that should work pretty nicely.
Not a B230 and 16v head and big turbo then?? :lol:
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 15 Mar 2008 02:40 pm

classicswede wrote:
jtbo wrote:
Not a B230 and 16v head and big turbo then?? :lol:
VQ35 engines does look promising at the moment, There is very little from Volvo that would suit, Supercharging some whiteblock perhaps, but impossible to get as much power as from VQ35, which is ~500hp supercharged and close to 300 stock, engine weights around same as redblock.

Gearbox + diff options are of course big mystery still, also I'm not too sure of engine either.

Maybe it would be tad too much power after all sm14

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 15 Mar 2008 03:25 pm

jtbo wrote: There is very little from Volvo that would suit, Supercharging some whiteblock perhaps, but impossible to get as much power as from VQ35,
Autotech Motor has built whiteblocks in +800hp range and Aki Nurkkala has 790 horses under the hood of his 850, so nothing is impossible. ;) Of course that's not cheap and those are with turbo so poweband is not very nice for track use. But one might think that for example ATech whiteblock with supercharger might not be the most powerless engine in the world, though not the cheapest either.

Well, twincharging is a one thing also. Hilmersson's 16V twincharged redblock Manta seems to be giving a nice powerband for track racing too.
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 15 Mar 2008 05:17 pm

Getting lot of power from small engine is just waste of effort. Hayabusa engine is lot better for that, it weights next to nothing and will give out enough power to make your underpants brown, but you have to rebuilt it very often, same with whiteblock if you take lot of power out from it, usability suffers and rebuilding interval increases.

VQ35 seem to be rather good compromise, light, enough liters to give wide torqueband and also long rebuild interval.

Price is not very cheap, also availability is bad, but rest of features are quite impressive.

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 15 Mar 2008 07:59 pm

jtbo wrote:Getting lot of power from small engine is just waste of effort.
I wonder why did the engineers of the F1 turbo era and Group-B rally era thought otherwise. ;) Of course VQ35 might be the best solution what comes to total effort and cost but generally saying it's impossible to do something and it's waste of effort is kinda stupid.
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 15 Mar 2008 08:43 pm

Fuse wrote:
jtbo wrote:Getting lot of power from small engine is just waste of effort.
I wonder why did the engineers of the F1 turbo era and Group-B rally era thought otherwise. ;) Of course VQ35 might be the best solution what comes to total effort and cost but generally saying it's impossible to do something and it's waste of effort is kinda stupid.
I meant in cost effectiveness way, put turbo in Hayabusa engine and you have huge amount of power and almost zero weight, but you need to spend lot of time and money rebuilding it, in that sense it is waste of effort compared to some other options, where you need to rebuild engine maybe once in 5 years :lol: