History of the Volvo 300 on the site

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
volvomania

Re: History of the Volvo 300 on the site

Post by volvomania » 15 Dec 2009 08:33 am

antiekeradio wrote:sure; L = no folding windows, DL did have them
The fold out rear windows were only introduced on the DL with the launch of MY78 in Sept. 77 to make a greater difference between L and DL.
None of my earlier (76 and 77) cars, and they are all DL versions, have the fold out windows.
Early 78 cars even have creudly recut B and C pillar trim to allow for the "modification".
Life is a journey, so sit back and enjoy the ride!

Born Built Beauties: Parts keeping our cars on the road!

http://www.Born-Built-Beauties.eu

Hell Driver

Post by Hell Driver » 15 Dec 2009 09:31 pm

Yes, our car was a DL and had the non opening windows. Another thing I once noticed was a difference between the left and right rear foglights on our very early car. Only the drivers side rear fog light had a bulb in it and that side had a silvered reflector in it. The passengers side had no reflective surface. Later cars still had only drivers side fog lights but a non silvered fog light. I only noticed this when I broke the offside indicator and had to replace the light. I still have the original (broken) light! You can see the difference in some of the early sales leaflets if you look closely. I never did understand why they didn't connect both lights up and put a bulb in the passengers side, cost saving or regulations? You would think two lights were better than one :)
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
343 DL (W 80) :-)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Transit Tipper 125 T350 (02)Alive Again!
Transit Tipper Smiley face Q reg
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)
R.I.P. 77 343 DL vario :-(

volvomania

Post by volvomania » 15 Dec 2009 10:10 pm

At that time it was illegal to have 2 rear foglights. I some countries you didn't even need to have them...
Life is a journey, so sit back and enjoy the ride!

Born Built Beauties: Parts keeping our cars on the road!

http://www.Born-Built-Beauties.eu

*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by 990 » 04 Jun 2010 05:35 pm

Did anyone ever get anywhere with this, I did a basic translation of the French history with other added facts and figures from various sources (some may be wrong). I am happy to hand it over and let people have a look, or even copy and paste it onto the forum.

:360:
Volvo 360 -- Small Car - BIG Ideas

E990 UBA Volvo 360GL - Vanised
D133 OBU Volvo 340GL - Died
F330 FWB Volvo 360GLT - She Runs :)
GJ53 GPF Volvo S60 - Daily

2 Fast 4 U

Post by 2 Fast 4 U » 04 Jun 2010 08:17 pm

I would like to add that my wife and I have 2 1989 340 GL Blueline edition cars one is a 1.4 CVT and the other a 1.4 5 speed both have tinted windows, central door lock and special Blueline interior:

Blueline CVT:

Blueline manual trans:

Understeer: The front of the car hits the wall,
Oversteer: The rear of the car hits the wall,
Horsepower: How fast the car hits the wall,
Torque: How far the car pushes the wall.

*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by 990 » 04 Jun 2010 11:31 pm

Right I found it, so here is what I have: (I do have a properly formatted version as well) :)

Volvo 300 Series Automobile History

Overview
The Volvo 300 series was a rear wheel drive automobile sold as both a hatchback and (later) a conventional saloon from 1976-1991. It was launched in the Netherlands shortly after Volvo acquired a major stake in the passenger car division of DAF in 1973. The series consisted of the Volvo 340 (initially badged as the 343/345) and the Volvo 360 4 door saloon.
The 300 series was unusual in having the gearbox mounted over the rear axle (which was of the De Dion tube type), with the 360 having the driveshaft enclosed in a "torque tube". The rear-mounted gearbox helped with weight distribution. 360GLT versions were well regarded by more enthusiastic drivers, with the unusual gearbox location ensuring good weight distribution and unusually good balance and traction.
After building a series of compact cars, DAF sought a partner to bring its new larger model, codenamed P900 and intended to become the DAF 77, to the market in 1970. Several manufacturers were approached. Volvo was not originally interested due to the cost, but they were later persuaded by DAF's access to Renault engines. This helped Volvo expand its model line-up without the large expenditures associated with developing a new model. Building cars in the Netherlands also helped the Swedish can company the markets of the EEC (European Economic Community (now the European Union – EU) of which Sweden was then not yet a member.
Volvo purchased a one-third share in DAF in 1973, increasing to a three-quarters stake in 1975 at this point the DAF company's name was changed to Volvo Car BV.
The Volvo 300 series first appeared in 1976
In the beginning the Mark One
The Volvo 343 (3 door) was powered by a Renault 70 hp engine with a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission (automatic)). This car was the successor to the DAF/Volvo 66. This project was also developed under the name DAF 77. Due to this we find many features of the DAF/Volvo 66 such as the chrome exterior mirrors, head restraints on the front seats and the use of the famous CVT automatic transmission.

During 1978 the Volvo 300 underwent some exterior and interior modifications, chrome mirrors give way to black mirrors, turn signals appear on the front wings and the dashboard is now black (previously brown), two round air vents are fitted in the centre console and the push button light switch is replaced by a rotary knob. The Volvo 300 is also equipped with the recognisable open backed Volvo headrests on the front seats, finally a manual transmission is now available.

In 1979 the Volvo 345 (5 doors) makes its appearance. The mirrors are now magnified and the wheels are updated.

In 1980, the 2 litre 95 hp (B19A) engine was available to both the Volvo 343 and 345, this engine was popular with the Volvo 240 series. The Volvo 343 and 345 with the B19a are indicated with an "S" following the "DL" or "GL". Steel bumpers are replaced with plastic units that offer better protection to the front wings.

Welcome to the Mark Two
In 1981 there were some significant changes made to the 300 series, the front of the car is completely redesigned including the headlights, grille and indicators. The plastic bumper remained unscathed. These changes made the little Volvo more elegant and improved the aerodynamics of
To combat the Volvo image of being a prestige and expensive car manufacturer the company introduced the 343L early in 1982 at a very attractive retail price, owners would still enjoy all of the benefits of Volvo ownership including the security features, reliability and most importantly comfort unique to their cars. This particular model obviously featured the bare minimum of equipment.

With the introduction of the L spec model coupled with high visibility advertising, public attention was also drawn to the other Volvo 300 series models which also proved to be particularly attractive and competitive vehicles. The success of this concept in the Netherlands was exported to some other countries.

The 300 series began to develop an excellent reputation, particually in the United Kingdom where sales figures were particularly positive. The Volvo 300 series also began making an appearance as a police car in the Netherlands and also in also in Malaysia, Switzerland, Indonesia the United Kingdom and others.

The February saw the introduction of the 345 commercial characterised by a flat front seat and rear opaque windows.
In August, the interior gets a new dashboard. It is around this time that the Volvo 343 and Volvo 345 are superseded by the Volvo 340 and Volvo 360. The 360 model is exclusively equipped with the Volvo 2 litre engine.

During August/September 1982 the Volvo 360 GLT is introduced. This is the sports model fitted with an injected 2 litre 115 hp (B19E). This particular model has auxiliary fog lights integrated into the front spoiler.

A year later, in 1983, the saloon models are introduces the top model being the Volvo 360 GLE with the 2 litre B19E engine and the introduction of electric windows and central locking.

During 1983 the front doors are updated with one piece glass and larger wing mirrors integrated into the door setting the interior on high level spec models.

In 1984, the expansion of the Volvo 300 range continues with the arrival of the Volvo 340 Diesel.

1985 heralded the appears of the 1.7 litre and a 5-speed transmission which became standard equipment on most models. Only the lowest spec versions still had the 4 speed transmission. The CVT automatic transmission went on to continued success.
The B200 engines put in an appearance replacing the B19 units. The Volvo 360 is now available in two guises, one with a carburettor (B200K) and one with fuel injection (B200E).

Welcome to the Mark Three
By the end of 1985 and into early 1986, the exterior undergoes another facelift, the bumpers are modified and the side repeating indicators are moved from the wing to the corners of the bumpers. For the 360 GLE/GLT the bumpers are painted in the body colour, the grille is also changed. For the hatchback the boot is updated and receives a larger window.
Technically, the most important changes are: the addition od an anti-roll bar in the front suspension of the 360 series and updated brakes.

Following the increase in the export of the cars to countries in sub-tropical regions see an option for air-conditioning on the 360 models with the B200k/B200E. The 340 is now exported to some countries in a CKD (Completely Knocked Down) kits that are assembled at the country of destination.

A new engine arrives on the scene to compliment the B200E, the B200F is equipped with a catalytic converter, and a multi-point injection system controlled by Lambda probe. The EGR (exhaust gas recycling) system 2.0 injection allows the engine to be as clean as that with catalyst.

In 1987, the Volvo 360 GLE is discontinued. The Volvo 360 GLT remains. During this year there are more significant changes for the Volvo 300 series. Including many special series, featuring special or enhanced options will appear on the market.

The saloon version on the 300 series is withdrawn during 1989

Total production of the 300 series ends in 1991

To conclude this short history, one can say that in fifteen years, the Volvo 300 series have passed the stage of problem child to a family car, made an attractive proposition due to its robustness, safety and driving pleasure.

Ongoing Benefits
Like other contemporary Volvos the 300 series developed and implemented many ground breaking safety features which have since become standard on most cars.

While the car was fundamentally robust, the detail build quality was never up to the same standard as the Swedish built models, this coupled to the fact that the early Variomatic cars proved to be particularly troublesome.

The Volvo badge however ensured that the car had a strong middle class following particularly in the United Kingdom during the 1980’s regularly making the UK’s top twenty sales tables for that decade, and they are still fairly common fifteen years after production ceased. The models exported to the United Kingdom had more standard features than most other units sold. These include a headlight wash/wipe system, high level third brake light.
The 300 series are robust, mechanically simple and easy to maintain. Even the Variomatic transmissions are reliable given proper care and attention.

The rust protection was poorer than other Volvos, but the engines especially the 1.4 and 2.0 were quite durable. An unusual feature of the car's design is the geometry of the rear axle. Two degrees of negative camber on the rear de Dion axle produces a similar stabilising effect as the expensive and complex Weissach axle launched by Porsche a year after the launch of the Volvo 343.

The inherent stability of this design made the car popular with caravan owners, being voted Tow Car of the Year in 1985.

The Renault-sourced 1.7 litre engine suffers from a well-known problem where the carburettor mounting flange warps due to engine heat, causing a small air leak and subsequent running problems. This is easy to fix.

The Volvo 300 has experienced something of a renaissance in recent years with a number of very active websites across Europe. A strong, young following has developed attracted by a rear wheel drive car which is very cheap to buy, insure and relatively easy to work on.

The car is featured among the top ten most popular new cars in the UK in 1982, 1983 and 1984, and was one of the UK's most popular imported cars of the decade. The 300 series was not sold in North America and the Volvo 360GLT only was introduced in Australia and New Zealand during 1984, and only lasted until 1987.

Hell Driver

Post by Hell Driver » 07 Jun 2010 09:18 pm

That sounds like the actual source of some (shorter) write-ups I've read elsewhere on the net, well posted!
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
343 DL (W 80) :-)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Transit Tipper 125 T350 (02)Alive Again!
Transit Tipper Smiley face Q reg
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)
R.I.P. 77 343 DL vario :-(

*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by 990 » 09 Jun 2010 01:28 pm

Thanks, although I could add pages of further detail to it (as I am sure you are aware)

Black Line

Post by Black Line » 01 Dec 2017 04:07 pm

Postby antiekeradio » 13 Jun 2008 11:39 am

yep model year 82.

in any case the 'wraparound' bumper introduction is still Mk1 territory :)

the blackline is some sort of mistery to me, too.
This reference has been on the V3C website since before I became webmaster, so I have always kept it in without being too sure it actually existed. Don't take the information for sacred, there are some other omissions that need to be tackled.

Greetings Wouter
Attachments
20171123_160412.jpg
Hello From Finland! Rusty little Pork head (Finnish nickname for 300 serie) But anyway, it is Black Line in deed. Yearmodel 1988 b200f engine.
20171123_160412.jpg (78.54 KiB) Viewed 7166 times