Not a great day really

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
swordfish210

Not a great day really

Post by swordfish210 » 11 Jan 2008 06:33 pm

Hi, before i start telling you about my day i have a confession to make. When i bought my 360 last year, due to the accident that it had been in the FD bearing on the nearside was completly wanked and had about 5mm of play. Despite this i taxed gthe car when i got it home, swapped the insurance over from the 205 to the 360 and just started driving it. Now i was reluctantt o change the gearbox for 2 reasons, 1: i'm very busy at college/work/working on my 205 trying to get it ready for the new season and 2: i hate working on manky road cars.
Now the last week or so i'v been treating the 360 a bit since i felt guilty for neglecting it for so long so last weekend i gave it a bit of a service. I drained the oil out and replaced the filter. The oil that came out was free of and metal filings so i was happy. Whilst i'm on the subject, is the oil filter in the stupidest place imagineable or is it just me? i spent ages getting all of the old oil off of the engine mount.
Then i changed the air filter:Image
and the spark plugs. I went for the Bosch Super 4 spark plugs because i'v used these before in my 205 and they are so much better than anything else i'v tried since:Image
I then scurried over to a scrap yard about 10 miles down the road from me because they said they had a Volvo 360 in. When i got there i found out it was actually a 340 but nevertheless i robbed the tailgate off of it and i found a 440 which donated it's rear view mirror:
Now the tailgate came from a Mk3 340, so it was hardly close to what i was looking for but it was better then what was on there:Image
So i had it anyway and i went home and fitted it. Now as some of you may know the tailgate lock on Mk2's and Mk3's are completly different so i took the catch from the 340 and bonded it on to my 360 and located it with a pair of self tapping screws:Image
It's by far the neatest job i'v ever done but it'l do for the time being. The tailgate also came with a wiper, since i dont have the stalk for a rear wiper or the wiring i just junked it and bunged up the holes:
At night the colours match perfectly :lol: :lol:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=015
A set of these turned up for me this morning to replace the ones that are in there at the moment as they are just like 2 candles in a glass box.

And that brings me on to today. I started out for college this morning and about 2 minutes in to my journey the gearbox began to make a horrendus grumbeling noise and i thought "oh well that diff's finally had it" so i continued in to gollege, allbeit a bit gingerly and i got there without incident. As i went to leave college (and having made plans to bring the ca in to the workshops on Monday to fit the new gearbox) the car was still grumbeling like hell so i cautiously made my way home but i had got about a mile down the road and the exhaust note sudedenly got much louder and throatier so i thought "damm it, i'v blown a hole somewhere" so now i had alots of bad noises coming from differnet places. When i got home i decided to check where the blowing was coming from and i discovered that the entire rear box was gone from the car, PISS! so now i'v got to buy a new rear box for the car. and there was me thinking that because i had treated her last weekend that she would be nice to me for a while.
Proud owner of a Crummy Volvo and a Ratty old 205

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 11 Jan 2008 09:58 pm

lol , when will you guys learn

they are just like women

the more you spoil them the more they want

just bought my missus this

and now she wants this

treat em mean and keep em keenn

d3k4y0
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by d3k4y0 » 11 Jan 2008 10:40 pm

redline wrote:
just bought my missus this

treat em mean and keep em keenn
I must say, that is quite cruel, even by your standards!

swordfish210

Post by swordfish210 » 11 Jan 2008 11:04 pm

ha ha, well she's got another think coming if she thinks she's getting that wash and polish that i promised her now :lol:

swordfish210

Post by swordfish210 » 12 Jan 2008 12:35 pm

i had a look at the car in the daylight this morning and the rear box has snapped off just behind the driveshaft so i thought i would be able to get away with just a new rear box but when i looked a little closer at the mid/rear section join i noticed that it was completly corroded so i ordered a new rear box and mid section from APD, it cost me £104 inc VAT so not too bad and it'l be here on tuesday. So on Monday i'v got to fit the new gearbox and on Tuesday i'v got to find time to fit the new exhaust as well :x