Recommissioning of the 360...

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

Recommissioning of the 360...

Post by Carl » 27 Jan 2008 08:59 pm

Since the T5 is now gone to its new owner, and the SD1 is locked away safely until the spring I thought I may as well bring the 360 GLT back out onto the road for me to use. It's been sat in my Dad's garage for months, and recently got broken into. Today I've finally started getting it roadworthy again.

I put one of Mac's diff gaskets on last year (as a test subject), but unfortunately I had to re-use the old bolts which weren't in the best condition (as least one didn't do up properly). So first job was to sort this - got the whole kit from Mac so did the gasket again as well. Diff seems to be in good nick (no nasty metal filings anyway and no obvious damage:
And with the nice new bolts and gasket:

Next on the list was the rear brakes. After sitting about so long they needed an overhaul. So after eventually getting the old drums off (they had a massive lip on the inside) I lubricated and cleaned up the shoes/mechanism and put some shiney new drums on:
Whilst I was under there I also cleaned up all the brake pipes and undersealed them for protection. Also undersealed some of the underbody, just because I was enjoying spraying things :):

Also decided to renew the gear box oil. I've been meaning to do this for about 2 years, so finally got round to it in the hope of making the gear change a bit nicer.

Next decided to have a look at the PAS. It's been dodgy ever since I got it - very reluctant to give you any assistance when cold, as it's been getting worse and worse. Took a spare pump with me to try that, but Dad had a look in the resevoir and said it looked like it had been topped up with oil :shock: So drained that out and put some proper fluid in to try and clear the old crap out. Unfortunately we then hit a slight problem in that we couldnt find the key. Looks like one of the young guys in the garage took it home with him on saturday when he put the car on the ramp for me. And my spare was at home 30 miles away. Doh. So we left it at that for the day. But the car is near enough ready for me to use, the rest of the jobs I can do later on.

So here's how I left the car, still looking sad on the outside, but looking much better under the metal!!

One more problem though, regarding the break in. Both o/s doors have been bent out, but should bend back into shape ok. However they've also pulled all the wires off the ignition barrel. There's 4 in total - dont suppose anyone could supply me a picture of which wires go to which terminals??

Also had a little helper with me, in the form of Nat. trying to get her involved in the oily bits of car ownership. But she ended up spending most of the time cleaning/polishing her cars. So just to add a bit of french spice to this thread, here's what Nat had done to her new car...

:D
Carl
Rover SD1 Vitesse (and no Volvos :()
But previously:
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1984 Volvo 340DL
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 27 Jan 2008 09:40 pm

ahem ,
I thought pictures of "fwd french tat" were banned on this forum :lol:

nice to see fioner again , I know it was Petes car but its like seeing an old friend

Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Carl » 27 Jan 2008 09:57 pm

redline wrote:ahem ,
I thought pictures of "fwd french tat" were banned on this forum :lol:
Well it was to show off Nat's handywork. if I play my cards right, Fioner may be as shiney next weekend ;)
redline wrote: nice to see fioner again , I know it was Petes car but its like seeing an old friend
Indeed. She's finally getting the TLC thats been needed for a while. Not sure how long I'll keep her TBH, but I'm looking forward to driving her again :D
Carl
But previously:
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1984 Volvo 340DL

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 28 Jan 2008 02:56 pm

Ohhh :) Its like freind reunited.

Nice to see your interest back in the car. Coming to a meet soon?
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Carl » 28 Jan 2008 07:12 pm

classicswede wrote:Nice to see your interest back in the car. Coming to a meet soon?
I'd like to, but depends on when/where because my life is a bit hectic at the moment!!
Carl
But previously:
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1984 Volvo 340DL

Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Carl » 03 Feb 2008 04:38 pm

Fioner is back home woo hoo!! Nice to drive the old girl again - feels much better than the FWD stuff I've been using recently :) Although the engine is sounding a bit rougher than I remember, but it probably needs an oil change which I'll do soon. But filling the gearbox up with Magnatec has made the box much smoother to use which is nice!

Wind noise is pretty horrendous - partly due to the sunroof, partly de to the knackered o/s rear door. When the theiving lil monkeys broke into it they bent the door out which also pulled the middle window support pillar off so the door wont bend back into shape. So I need to take the door cards off to see what I can do with it - hopefully it'll rivet back into place, but if not I'll be looking for a red door or 2 :evil:

PAS still needs sorting out, but I'll give it a proper flush when I get the chance. And she desperately needs a wash/polish, but it's definately good to have her back :D
Carl
But previously:
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1984 Volvo 340DL

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 03 Feb 2008 06:00 pm

Excellent :)

Did Mr Farrell buy your T5, by any chance? I stood in the spot you took that picture in in Kingswear over Christmas. Just to make things even more wierd, another random friend (from London, this time) attended a ball at Britannia naval college on the other side of the river just before Christmas. Small world....

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by petefarrell360 » 04 Feb 2008 02:09 am

foggyjames wrote:Did Mr Farrell buy your T5, by any chance?
Indeed he did!

Good to see Fioner back in use mate. It's good that you've figured out the PAS, or are getting there. I remembered never getting time to look into that, but it seemed to work for right hand turning assistance and not left or something like that from cold.

Good to see it getting some care and maintenance!

Is the plate transfer looking possible at all mate!?

Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........

Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Carl » 04 Feb 2008 08:40 am

petefarrell360 wrote: Is the plate transfer looking possible at all mate!?
Yes definitely. We'll need to sort it out soon. I'll try and look out all the paperwork tonight.
Carl
But previously:
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1984 Volvo 340DL

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 04 Feb 2008 10:08 am

I've got a complete PAS kit on the island Carl, I wasn't wanting to split it, but I don't think I want to fit it to my cars, and doubt it'd sell whole, so could well be useful if you need bits.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Carl » 04 Feb 2008 06:05 pm

Chris_C wrote:I've got a complete PAS kit on the island Carl, I wasn't wanting to split it, but I don't think I want to fit it to my cars, and doubt it'd sell whole, so could well be useful if you need bits.
OK mate, I'll let you know. I need to flush the fluid properly as all I did was change what was in the resevoir. If that doesn't make a difference I've got a spare pump of unknown condition that I'll slap on first.
Carl
But previously:
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1984 Volvo 340DL

Carl
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Carl » 17 Feb 2008 05:59 pm

Sorted out the broken doors today - not perfect, but much better than what they were. Hopefully the wind noise will be reduced a bit now. Also attempted to fix the rear boot seal to stop it leaking, so we'll see what happens when it rains!

Also gave her a wash and polish and she's looking much better now. Paint still hasn't come up gleaming in some places, so I might try one of those electric car polishers next time to try and buff the paint up a bit more.

I've also come to the sad conclusion that I'm probably gonna have to get rid of Fioner in the next few months. I've not used her once since bringing her back home, so it just seems pointless to spend all the money on tax / insurance / running costs for no real gain. So the Hella grill, auxillary gauge panel and gauges will probably be removed and sometime in March / April I will try and find another home for her :(
Carl
But previously:
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1988 Volvo 360GLT
1984 Volvo 340DL