Let's play with engines :)

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
bennett

Post by bennett » 25 Feb 2008 11:18 pm

i need them here not there :D
thanks lee

Nikdev

Post by Nikdev » 25 Feb 2008 11:44 pm

EDIT: oooops posted in the wrong place :roll:
Last edited by Nikdev on 26 Feb 2008 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

sven360

Post by sven360 » 25 Feb 2008 11:52 pm

Paddle
Keeper of The Knights' of Bushido-lest we forget

Write it in your heart.
Stand by the code and it will stand by you.

Ask no more and give no less than honesty,courage,loyalty,generosity and fairness.

The code of the West.

griffo20022

Post by griffo20022 » 01 Mar 2008 07:06 pm

Little bit more to add.

During the week I had a phonecall off Bennett with him saying "I know your gonna think i'm joking but somebody broke into your car last night" I didn't believe him at first lol, although this confirms it.

Luckily nothing looks like it's been taken which is good, although it's still the unnecessary hassle of having to change the window damnit! It'll be sorted either way though, like I say i'm glad nothing was taken as theres loads of parts in the car such as my minilites, carbs, pop out windows etc!

So today I went to Bennetts place and we had a little tat. Finished painting the block up and did a mock up of the new wheel idea lol.

I know the filters painted lol, but that's getting changed when the engines put back together anyway :)

a quick 'shop with em on the car...

Like I say that was a quick mock up, may even do the whole wheel black with just the yellow outer, not entirely sure yet (opinions would be good) hopefully going to get some sort of painting tent setup in my garden, get the compressor in there n have a crack at doing them with a proper air gun as opposed to rattle cans. The "short motor" should hopefully be put together during this week and next week should hopefully see the motor dropped in the car again yay!
'90 340 1.4 Vince!
'94 BMW 325i Saloon

kaos

Post by kaos » 01 Mar 2008 07:33 pm

looks good, was it just normal car paint sprayed on to the engine or high temp crap?

i think once mine is in and running it'll come back out to be cleaned up:)

griffo20022

Post by griffo20022 » 01 Mar 2008 07:40 pm

Was Hammerite type paint, nice n thick. We've done some components up such as manifolds etc in high temp black though. It'll be a bumble bee engine :D
'90 340 1.4 Vince!
'94 BMW 325i Saloon

filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by filthyjohn » 02 Mar 2008 10:41 am

Looking good, shame about the break in. Have you sorted a window out? I've got a spare kicking around somewhere.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr

griffo20022

Post by griffo20022 » 02 Mar 2008 12:53 pm

I think so John thanks for the offer though :) if Bennett doesn't get one, Volvo360GLS has one he's said I can have.

Again thanks for the offer though dude, appreciate it 8)
'90 340 1.4 Vince!
'94 BMW 325i Saloon

griffo20022

Post by griffo20022 » 04 Mar 2008 08:23 pm

Another update from the Bennett man today! Slowly drawing closer to March DWYB day and it's nearly there! Can't wait!!!

Super swanky shotblasted items :D

Ripe surface for a bit of head ;)

Head fresh from being tested and skimmed!

Inlet manifold fitted

Yummy carbs 8)

I shall be going down again saturday and helping out where I can with refitting the engine, shall hopefully have her home saturday and sunday will be a day of fitting glass lol! Still don't know what's going to happen with the rocker cover yet hehe!

Absolutely top work by Bennett 8)
'90 340 1.4 Vince!
'94 BMW 325i Saloon

bennett

Post by bennett » 04 Mar 2008 08:27 pm

i want it gone sat lol. still waiting for the rocker cover from the shot blasters.
thanks lee

pistonpen paultje

Post by pistonpen paultje » 15 Mar 2008 12:42 am

Really nice work guys!

Some questions for u:

- what kind of fuelpomp did they use on the car?
- Bike carbs go up to 48mm. What would be the best amount?

bennett

Post by bennett » 16 Mar 2008 11:01 am

the fuel pump is a stock R1 motorbike pump.
as for carbs 1000cc bike or bigger carbs are best to use.
thanks lee

griffo20022

Post by griffo20022 » 18 Mar 2008 11:58 am

Well she's alive again and been running for just over a week with pretty much no problems! Absolutely cracking work by mr. Bennett!!!

The saturday came and Suze and I headed down to Bennetts place and we got cracking, engine went in with pretty much no problems, plumbed up some of the breathing system with some braided hosing and we tidied up a few bits n bobs where we could, although we didn't have much time. We filled the engine with oil just about to start it for the first ever time.....Wheres the oil filler cap?? Looked absolutely everywhere for it and nothing, shite! I wanted the car home that night too lol, so we stuck some blue roll in the top and prayed that'd stay in, which it managed to get me from telford to wolverhampton with no hassle! I then went and picked one up from a friend the same night so that was sorted :D

Freshly fitted lellow engine with masking tape rocker cover haha!

Sunday came the car was at home and I was happy so it was time to play! The passenger window was still broke so that was the first job! Throughout the day I also fitted my rear pop out windows, my Polybush ARB stuff and painted up my steelies and got those whacked on also refitted the passenger seat and got the new harnesses in there :D pretty productive day hehe! Few pics I took from the jobs I did

The remains of a smoshed 340 passenger window lol!

New front glass in but wheres the rear one gone now?

Arrrrrr poppy outy goodness hehe! With pimp OAP Chrome trim y0!

Engine with fully functional oil cap lol! That rocker cover is a temp spare I have while Bennett plans to do something funky with my old orange one

Old nakered ARB stuffs

Funky fresh blue Poly items :D Do make a nice noticeable difference! To steering response!

Painted up steelies with pimp ass polished up chrome trim rings lol!

Driver seat and passenger seat back in with new Luke 4points :D

Anyway, wednesday came last week and it was DWYB @ the Pod! Perfect way to test out the new engine build haha! Engine ran like a dream and i'm well happy!!!! What i'm now not happy with mind is my suspension lol! I went out on the kidney track and when I came off Lozza stopped me and said "Your front wheels are lifting off when your going round corners" WTF lol!? Luckily Suze my gf recorded a vid of me going round the kidney track so see for yourselves. I think this is what's causing me to keep bogging down when i'm trying 2nd gear stuff too, aswell as understeering like a full on gay! So stiffened landrover shocks will be on the shopping list friday! Time for some noice thick oil in the front shocks too!!

I'm starting to feel alot more confident with the car now though and slowing down on just impulse buying stuff so it helps me find stuff like this out and learn from it :D Can't wait to get the new shocks on!
'90 340 1.4 Vince!
'94 BMW 325i Saloon

Jason B
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Jason B » 18 Mar 2008 12:26 pm

engine is looking good, though you definitely need to sort out your suspension as the front dampers look knackered and thats whats causing the front end bounce and wheel hop. Also worth uprating the rear dampers too as this will help reduce body roll
'89 360 GLE awaiting 2.3 power

griffo20022

Post by griffo20022 » 18 Mar 2008 12:56 pm

Yer well as I say I will definately be investing in some stiff ass landrover shocks for the rear, as for the front I will drain the oil out and refill it with gearbox oil or something providing there still the original dampers and not just inserts, will clean them up as best as I can too
'90 340 1.4 Vince!
'94 BMW 325i Saloon