Quick tuning advice

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
Ozbrick

Post by Ozbrick » 26 Mar 2008 11:56 pm

Fuse wrote:
Ozbrick wrote:Block the oil breather hose that breathes into the hot air intake, it increases exhaust flow and you'll notice an immediate power jump and exhaust sound increase.
:shock: Surely you don't mean to block the breather hose completely. You'll eventually blow seals somewhere if the pressure won't get out anywhere.

You can run the breather hose under the car though or in to a catch can so breather gases and vapor won't go in to the engine.. But you can't block the breather completely...

Or what breather are you talking about, one which is coming under the intake manifold from the black box? Blocking that is a big no no.

It is the breather from the block that breathes from the right side of the B200E into the hot air feed, when the engine is running (I use a cold air feed behind the fog) that breather hose is the loudest sound from under the bonnet. I blocked it with a urethane bung and cable ties and it runs much smoother and idles 200rpm lower. The local exhaust guy told me to do it. I never blocked the one on my clio as that is a much more effective breather and the cylinder pressures on the clio are much higher. THe volvo technically has two breathers, the one under the black box is still there.
1985 - Volvo 360 GLT - V3M downunder! Uprated coils and leafs, Gas shocks, 3A Racing Filter + balls!
2002 - Renault Clio Sport - http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/vie ... php?t=7697

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 27 Mar 2008 02:05 am

I can't believe you guys are arguing about air filters. :P You're going to get utterly abused by anything even remotely fast, so I'd not do anything 'daft' (like removing the air filter altogether) in an attempt to keep up. Just have some fun! :) As for weight....take out the spare...and keep the fuel level down.

Getting hold of a set of really decent tyres (if you don't have any already) will make more difference than pretty much anything mentioned so far.

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

Jason B
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Jason B » 27 Mar 2008 02:10 am

yup :)
'89 360 GLE awaiting 2.3 power

Ozbrick

Post by Ozbrick » 27 Mar 2008 02:31 am

Point is kinda moot on a carb 200K anyway... i did it on my B200E for the sound!!! :P
1985 - Volvo 360 GLT - V3M downunder! Uprated coils and leafs, Gas shocks, 3A Racing Filter + balls!
2002 - Renault Clio Sport - http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/vie ... php?t=7697