Llandow Trackday

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 25 Mar 2008 10:23 pm

Glad you had a good time on the track with the car. Can you see now that with some work a 360 could make a viable car?
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

sven360

Post by sven360 » 25 Mar 2008 10:29 pm

swordfish210 wrote: during heavy manouvering oil surged in to the pump and flooded the head
Oil surge would be the most obvious-seen many a pinto let fly on Albermarle airfield during the 80's when they used the long U bend at the bottom of the airfeild :cry:

It would certainly tie in with the oil level being high on 1st circuit and then dropping as the day wore on.
Keeper of The Knights' of Bushido-lest we forget

Write it in your heart.
Stand by the code and it will stand by you.

Ask no more and give no less than honesty,courage,loyalty,generosity and fairness.

The code of the West.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 25 Mar 2008 11:15 pm

swordfish210 wrote:few more pics in here:
http://anthonyshuttle.com/photos/llandowmarch2008

theres some quite good ones towards the end
Tires seem to be working rather well compared to mine :D

I have little trouble of tires beding under wheels no matter how high pressure I set.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

swordfish210

Post by swordfish210 » 26 Mar 2008 07:08 am

classicswede wrote:Glad you had a good time on the track with the car. Can you see now that with some work a 360 could make a viable car?
well i made a list on page 1 of the stuff that i would consider pretty essential for the 360 to become a decent track car legend :D
Proud owner of a Crummy Volvo and a Ratty old 205

swordfish210

Post by swordfish210 » 26 Mar 2008 09:40 am

jtbo wrote:
Tires seem to be working rather well compared to mine :D

I have little trouble of tires beding under wheels no matter how high pressure I set.
they might not have much sidewall flex but they certanly didnt grip well :lol: Take note everyone....Pirelli P6000's and Budget Firestones dont work well on a track....shocker :lol: :lol:

Frits

Post by Frits » 26 Mar 2008 10:49 am

Haven't found any real good perfoming street tires. People say Toyo proxes are good. Haven't money dough, to try it.

The flex of the sidewal is normal. Even racetires do. Don't blow them harder to avoid, you will have less grip. You will see the tire has worn edges, don't blame the tire, its the fault of the design/setup of the suspension of the car.

SoLaMaNdA
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SoLaMaNdA » 26 Mar 2008 11:37 am

I love this photo...

What body roll?

germ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by germ » 26 Mar 2008 03:44 pm

Some nice piccy's :) looks like it was alot of fun.

as to your list :P

serious weight stripping - yes but its free :D
engine rebuild - maybe but if you were to do it add some performence bits!
brake upgrade - hell no! they are great if looked after, maybe braided hoses.
suspension pick up points changed -maybe
some much stiffer springs - yes
i'd also want to independantise (ok i made that word up but you know what i mean) the rear end - not a big issue..
Probably make my own steering collum -why?
upgrader the steering rack - why?
copious amounts of roll cage to stiffen the body up - copious? :P its not that bad :lol:
some better tyres (Pirelli P6000's are terrible) - agree
LSD - not really THAT important.

stiff springs new gas shocks and poly bushes and it will handel good
maybe your brakes just need bleeding if they dont work so good/pads could be worn.

Cheers
will
Volvo 340 Image 1988

MJ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MJ » 26 Mar 2008 05:17 pm

Brake upgrade. Depends what king of upgrade. Renewing pads, fluid and possibly hoses etc would be a good idea, as for a real upgrade, really depends on availability of funds and the intended use. Stock brakes can lock up fine in normal use, but I believe they get hot and ineffective quickly. No personal experience of this though ;)

For the LSD, it really depends on how the car is driven. It would make a big improvement in tight corners at speed. Having seen Chris taking sharp corners fast on a track, the inner wheel was smoking away, with not much forward motion. Pity they're so expensive/difficult to track down..

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 26 Mar 2008 05:33 pm

Factory LSD (HÖR unit) won't take abuse you get when driving on track, you would need something more solid.

Brakes are really bad, on some tracks they just don't loose enough heat to stay on sensible temp range.

Steering is too slow, 50% less revolutions on steering wheel should be aimed.

Front end of suspension does not really offer much for track day driving, it will just plow trough turns.

With proper suspension work one should be able to get some power to road even with open diff.

It is easy to hit rpm limiter on corner when trying to accelerate, there is so little amount of grip, well at least that was how it was with my slightly tuned engine, could not floor it because it would just resulted banging against rev limiter.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

SoLaMaNdA
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SoLaMaNdA » 26 Mar 2008 06:16 pm

I loved those P6000's :cry:

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 26 Mar 2008 08:37 pm

I think you are onto something there Jani, with less body roll, I reckon I wouldn't loose anywhere near the amount of power that I do now. I'll be able to try soon enough.. I should have stuck my spax on for the weekend, but I've taken them home now!

Fake on monroes doesn't spin up anywhere near as early as Kar did on 18year old rear dampers though, and Fake still has a lot of roll. Rear ARB???
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

Jason B
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Jason B » 26 Mar 2008 08:46 pm

rear arb is a really quick and dirty solution but it would acheive some of the desired characteristics. I've been tempted by switching to a linked setup on the rear for some time now, but still undecided. First port of call is the front, as with a 300 if you can get the front end you turn in properly then the back can be easily made to follow ;)
'89 360 GLE awaiting 2.3 power

swordfish210

Post by swordfish210 » 26 Mar 2008 08:58 pm

germ wrote:Some nice piccy's :) looks like it was alot of fun.

as to your list :P

serious weight stripping - yes but its free :D
engine rebuild - maybe but if you were to do it add some performence bits!
brake upgrade - hell no! they are great if looked after, maybe braided hoses.
suspension pick up points changed -maybe
some much stiffer springs - yes
i'd also want to independantise (ok i made that word up but you know what i mean) the rear end - not a big issue..
Probably make my own steering collum -why?
upgrader the steering rack - why?
copious amounts of roll cage to stiffen the body up - copious? :P its not that bad :lol:
some better tyres (Pirelli P6000's are terrible) - agree
LSD - not really THAT important.

stiff springs new gas shocks and poly bushes and it will handel good
maybe your brakes just need bleeding if they dont work so good/pads could be worn.

Cheers
will
Ok i'll explain my list:

Weight stripping: As mentioned, it's free so it really does make sense to do it. Plus if the interior is in good condtion and able to sell then you can make money on it...brilliant :D

Engine rebuild: i was concerned by the oil that it was chucking out so i think renewing the seals would be a good idea, I supposde porting the head wouldnt be the worst thing either :D

Brake upgrade: despite having DOT4 racing fluid in (only 1 day old) they boiled over really quickly and the discs turned blue...not good enough i'm afraid

Changing suspension pick up points: The wheelbase to track width ratio is too low. The front and rear track needs to be a lot wider, and since the use of wheel spacers is the biggest load of crap i'v ever seen, the whole suspension set-up needs moving out a bit.

Stiff springs: For many obvious reasons :lol:

Independant rear end: I'v allways found solid rear axles to be a severly limiting factor when setting up a cars suspension so if i was going to do it i would build a spaceframe cage to hold the geaqrbox to the body and hand the rear suspension off of that (i'd make some tubular wishbones as well...fully adjustable, Cool huh :D )

Steering collum/rack: The steering is very wooly and unresponsive. Also the amount of turns lock to lock is too much. 3 turns L to L would be ideal.

Roll cage: Allways better to have a stiff shell when setting a car up, just makes it much easier as you eliminate the body flex as a factor.

Tyres: I like A539's as a dry track tyre... or some slicks :D

LSD: i just spun the inside wheel when i was exiting bends. Plus the ATB diffs that are out these days really make a difference tot he handling... and essental if running big power.

Anyone thinking about doing some of this stuff to your cars :wink:

swordfish210

Post by swordfish210 » 26 Mar 2008 09:02 pm

Frits wrote:Haven't found any real good perfoming street tires. People say Toyo proxes are good. Haven't money dough, to try it.

The flex of the sidewal is normal. Even racetires do. Don't blow them harder to avoid, you will have less grip. You will see the tire has worn edges, don't blame the tire, its the fault of the design/setup of the suspension of the car.
Yokohama A539's all the way. Cheap enough and damm effective in the dry.

I dont agree that more pressure means less grip. From personal experience i think that more pressure with road tyres on track is better. The car feels more responsive and less floaty