The Battleship,Williams, sentenced to death!

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: The Battleship, Williams, Oops!

Post by Chris_C » 28 Feb 2010 06:23 pm

Tbh, with the fact they can now crush a car for not being taxed I wouldn't take the risk if it's an ex-1.4 rather than ex-1.7.

It's not hard, I got a really snotty letter though that looked like I was trying to evade tax by putting in a larger engine and that they didn't believe me sending me another V5, but with all the same info as before. Renault Customer services were awesome though and talked me through the best way of doing it, I got my new V5 yesterday.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 28 Feb 2010 06:46 pm

Crushing a car that is not taxed is just plain silly and really stupid in eco wise too, seems like you have got some car haters in power there too :?
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

340GLT
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by 340GLT » 28 Feb 2010 11:08 pm

Thye dont check engine no mate. So long as it goes through emissions it will be fine, which it will!!!
Adam
F559 LFE - 340R 2.0 16v
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 05 Mar 2010 09:36 pm

Been working away all week so not been able to get to a PC.

Thats good to hear Adam, i may well try and sort the horn first thing in the morning and see if i can get it in a while you wait place.
89 3dr 340DL in Battleship grey with Ultralights and Williams power
Whats the matter with the car i'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?

magnumpi

Re: The Battleship, Williams, now featuring a horn!

Post by magnumpi » 06 Mar 2010 10:27 pm

Smallest update ever, but decided to have a go at making the horn work with the deep dish wheel i fitted months ago. Don't know why i didn't bother before, was an easy enough job so now i have a working horn AND self cancelling indicators again :D

Next up is the Mot, and on that note has any one used KwikFit for Mot's? I know they aren't meant to be very clever but i just want it done now so was thinking of trying to get a test done tomo as they are the only place that does them on Sun. The thing is as my old test had lapsed it needs to be pre booked. I'm just getting impatient, if i can't get it in Thursday will have to do with my usual Mot guy.
Whats the matter with the car i'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?

magnumpi

Re: The Battleship, Williams, Pre MoT Q's!

Post by magnumpi » 08 Mar 2010 06:44 pm

So i've got my MoT booked for tomo afternoon, and i'm especting a fail, due to the way my mind works if i expect the worst i'll never be disapointed :D

Anyway i have two questions regarding the MoT, firstly should both sidelights work without the ignition on? I ask as only the drivers side works without the key, i was guessing it's a parking light, but both rear lights are still on? However they both work with the ignition so will this be a pass or a fail?

Secondly does the spare tyre have to be installed securely, as at the moment it's just loose in the boot?
If it does i know the simple solution is to take it out as if it's not there it can be tested therefore can't fail on it either.

Finally my Non MoT question is regarding my dodgy fuel gauge which i thought i had fixed but is still playing up (see thread in General tech if you've not seen it yet) ? Anyone got any ideas as to whats causing it, if it's an earth where should i be looking for it?

Cheers

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Ronnie » 08 Mar 2010 07:04 pm

I'm pretty sure they only test the lights with the engine running. The loose spare is probably a fail though
'85 360GLT Mk2 3 Door B19E - SOLD
'94 L400 Mitsubishi Delica LWB

http://www.filterfeeder.eu

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 08 Mar 2010 07:06 pm

Cool , thats what i thought, i'll just sling it in the garage before i go then, but sods law whats the betting i'll get a puncture on the way now :lol:

I'll get a bottle of tyre weld before i go as i need a new rear wiper anyway.

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 09 Mar 2010 01:16 am

Makes me laugh that a loose spare in the boot is a fail on MOTs.
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 09 Mar 2010 01:19 am

Are you sure the sidelight bulb lights up when the ignition is on? The dim-dip should light up once the ignition is on, potentially masking the fact that the little bulb is out...

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 09 Mar 2010 01:49 am

Speedy88 wrote:Makes me laugh that a loose spare in the boot is a fail on MOTs.
The thing is it is UBER dangerous and i know it only too well yet carry on driving around with it unstrapped.
Basicaly many moons ago my dad and his mates had been out for a few beers, they met a couple of lasses and him and his mates bundled into their cars for the journey home. Half way back they stopped and one of the guys in the back of the girls car decided she was too pissed too be driving (it was the 70's) so swapped with a mate from the boys car behind.

Cut a long story short not much later the girls car hit a lamppost and the unfixed spare wheel came through the back seat and hit my dads best mates spine and paralised him from the waist down, so i REALLY should do something about it!

I have a plan of welding a long upturned bolt to the boot floor so the wheel nut hole goes through it then hold it down with a nut, simple and cheap/free.

Er i have a load of bulbs (like 3 sets) in the glovebox so i'll swap them over before i go and see if it makes any difference, the bulbs in there now are probably less than a month old.

magnumpi

Re: The Battleship, Williams, Sods law strikes my MoT!

Post by magnumpi » 09 Mar 2010 07:02 pm

Foggy- You were right it was the little side light bulb that was out so i replaced that and checked ALL light settings before setting off, all were fine and dandy.

I waited and i got my results- FAIL, on No full beam FFS. Could've been a lot worse though and to be honest i was expecting more than that.
On my way home i could only see one light on the reflection of the cars in front, odd as i'd checked them all when i left home. When i got back i pulled the main bulb out and the tip of it has snapped off somehow releasing the gas and making it look all milky, odd considering they said it ONLY failed on fullbeam?

Well it would appear that my indicator/full beam stalk has given up the ghost. It's never been very "clicky" when putting the full beam on but has always worked, now it does nothing.

So anyone got a stalk for sale reasonably locally so i can come and pick it up and get it fitted for my retest, as per usual i have 10 days.

Turns out the MoT tester was an apprentice at Volvo when he was younger and knows these cars inside out, couldn't shed any light on my dodgy fuel gauge though :lol:

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Ronnie » 09 Mar 2010 07:07 pm

Check it's not the bracket holding the switchgear - these are of crap design and bend and break. When you try to activate the highbeam, the whole assembly just twists and bends, so the switch doesn't get thrown. I've never seen the switchgear itself go bad, but there's a first time for everything.

You can often bodge the bracket together with judicious use of araldite and big washers to clamp it all up with.

PS - when buying yourself new bulbs, do yourself a favour and get some Osram Nightbreaker H4's - less than £15 on the bay of e, and you'll thank me for it if you like to drive at night.
'85 360GLT Mk2 3 Door B19E - SOLD
'94 L400 Mitsubishi Delica LWB

http://www.filterfeeder.eu

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 09 Mar 2010 07:16 pm

Ronnie i've already popped the steering column housing off and it doesn't move very much so got a feeling it's the stalk itself, i may be wrong though. I'll investigate further but that involves getting the speedo surround out to get to the top screw which is a bit more of an involved job, but i still need to sort the fuel gauge anyway.

Funny you mention those bulbs i picked some up in Makro but they were £20, i decided i couldn't be bothered to que for ages for a set of bulbs so put them back on the shelf. I then went to Halfords and paid near enough the same for their equivalent only to find it already had them fitted :roll:

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 09 Mar 2010 10:56 pm

Although it's almost always the mounting that goes bad, I did encounter my first bad switch a few weeks ago...so it's certainly possible.

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...