Photos

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
jtbo

Re: Photos

Post by jtbo » 06 Apr 2013 07:46 pm

Another animal track near my yard:
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 06 Apr 2013 08:03 pm

Guessing thats a bear?

Kill it.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 07 Apr 2013 05:09 am

volvosneverdie wrote:Guessing thats a bear?

Kill it.
One of them, we have several here and they do pass regularly from view distance from my house. Also, foxes, rabbits, lynxes and now new addition of Wolfs.

It is illegal to kill a bear, unless it is a hunting season when only named hunters can hunt only one bear or something like that, it is highly restricted.

Also I'm not quite sure my bowie is match to claws of bear :lol:

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 07 Apr 2013 03:59 pm

jtbo wrote:
Also I'm not quite sure my bowie is match to claws of bear :lol:
No, probably not.
How can it be illegal to kill a deadly bear?
If one attacks you, what are you supposed to do? curl up in an assball and hope it gets full before it eats anything vital?

If I lived in Finland, I wouldnt leave the house without a .410:
Bear Self Defence Items

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 07 Apr 2013 09:01 pm

volvosneverdie wrote: No, probably not.
How can it be illegal to kill a deadly bear?
If one attacks you, what are you supposed to do? curl up in an assball and hope it gets full before it eats anything vital?

If I lived in Finland, I wouldnt leave the house without a .410:
Bear Self Defence Items
You are supposed to pretend to be a rock or something. For some reason here you are not supposed to take care of yourself so you are only supposed to be passive.

There are not many animals that you can hunt without a permit, all big ones are protected so that it is even more controlled who can kill and when, but without completing hunting exams you can't really hunt even a squirrel or rabbit and with air rifles you can't hunt anything here. Putting squirrel down with 12 gauge is bit excessive, but here it is important that all killing is humane and does not make animal to suffer.

But then again, bear is not really that dangerous, they are shy creatures that know where you are long before you have even idea about bear being near and they try to avoid contact with human quite well. Sick wolf is my most concern, such might attack against human, but healthy Wolf tends to stay clear and even when meeting one, does not really like to attack human sized creature.

Official guide how to act when wolf is too interested from you:
Try to walk away if not possible look strong and try to walk away.
If Wolf bites, make loud noises and wave your hands, use branch to hit wolf.

I must say, that I might go for a throat with bowie instead if wolf tries to bite me, but that too is illegal, of course having a bowie with you is also illegal. But it is my universal tool, I pull nails out of wood with it, also I have used it a lot when removing plastic flooring carpets and interior wall material from house, yesterday I had to fix skies a bit, good thing bowie is great replacement for screwdriver too. Those city laws are bit silly in woods, but here they make laws to fix problem in one city and every place is then suffering from same law.

Anyway it is very unlikely to even see such bests yet alone get attacked by one, so there is no much to worry about really.

There was relatively fresh Lynx tracks today, also I did spot something I would put as Wolf tracks, but it might of been huge dog also, bit hard to tell them apart. There was also one track that I could not tell what it was, but it was a huge one, around 17cm, it was not a wolf track, imo. Also not a bear, so there is only Lynx and one another possible, but lynx has smaller paw, however that another which name I don't know in english should have 5 toes instead of 4 and there were other differences.

Anyway it is 4/4 or 3/4 from our largest beasts tracks spotted in one week which is not so bad. I just would need to take better camera with me, pocket cam is not taking very good photos from tracks.

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 07 Apr 2013 09:25 pm

jtbo wrote: But then again, bear is not really that dangerous, they are shy creatures that know where you are long before you have even idea about bear being near and they try to avoid contact with human quite well.

Anyway it is very unlikely to even see such bests yet alone get attacked by one, so there is no much to worry about really.
Tell it to Timothy Treadwell dude.

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 07 Apr 2013 09:49 pm

72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

thebear54

Post by thebear54 » 07 Apr 2013 10:19 pm

macplaxton wrote:I'd go for the "Oh look! An Eagle!" distraction. :lol: sm4
You first Richard. :lol: :lol:

John
DAF CLUB of AMERICA Director & DAF MUSEUM-USA Director

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 22 Apr 2013 04:02 pm

Realised I hadn't posted this one, for the randomly interested among you.

Flame powered LED, with forced induction. Those are espresso mugs, it's not the worlds biggest LED...
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 22 Apr 2013 04:40 pm

Hi lads.
If i was at work i could take it out with an MP5 :lol: :lol: :lol:
But as i am of not well i would just have
to let it eat me :lol:
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 22 Apr 2013 09:06 pm

Chris_C wrote:Image

Realised I hadn't posted this one, for the randomly interested among you.

Flame powered LED, with forced induction. Those are espresso mugs, it's not the worlds biggest LED...
So, how many watt/lumens?

Such photo has some challenges, you have handled light and shadow nicely, it gives great mood to photo :)

Spring is near:

This stream used to be crystal clear, until they started to dry swamps, it has been brown since then, like Coca Cola.

Some ants:

Let's see bit closer:

Let's see VND beating monitor and screaming to ants DIE, DIE, DIE!

Ants have so much detail, but you just have to look closer:

That was actually 7 shot low to high zoom test, but it is bit long to put fully here.

Someone is late from meeting:

Probably our board cuts rightmost edge from the shot which makes whole idea go out of the window, but incase such happens, here is link: http://jtbo.pp.fi/images/road_pics/insects/palaveri.jpg

I'm facing limitations of my Tamron 70-300mm quite often, I'm not quite enough good to always be able to overcome those limitations, but maybe ultra crisp images without CA are not always needed, if photo is enough interesting there is perhaps no need for ultra sharpness. It has taken me long time to overcome issues that I found after moving from D40 to D3100 Nikon, lack of detail and always blurry images, only way to avoid those is to shoot RAW and keep noise reduction OFF. What I have seen from D5100 photos it should be worlds ahead in detail and sharpness, so maybe I move to that one day, I doubt that I will have money to any better than that in anytime future...

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 23 Apr 2013 10:03 am

Hi Jani.
Those are amazing pictures. All i can do is point and click.
Cheers Mark.
sm4 sm4 sm4

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 23 Apr 2013 11:57 am

Cheers Jani, technically it took a heck of a lot of playing around with light, I don't have adjustable power on my flash gun (it's a £1 boot sale find...) so I have to find different things to bounce it off and move it different distances away... vs the natural light of the LED and much less on the flame.

LED is a CREE unit, can't remember if it's a 1W or 3W, I'll try and dig out the data sheet. It can light a decent sized camp area when in the field, I'm going to mount it in one of these

Great photos as ever, the colour of that water is pretty special! We have a pond in the New Forest that goes the same colour, never worked out what causes it.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 23 Apr 2013 05:53 pm

Chris_C wrote:Cheers Jani, technically it took a heck of a lot of playing around with light, I don't have adjustable power on my flash gun (it's a £1 boot sale find...) so I have to find different things to bounce it off and move it different distances away... vs the natural light of the LED and much less on the flame.

LED is a CREE unit, can't remember if it's a 1W or 3W, I'll try and dig out the data sheet. It can light a decent sized camp area when in the field, I'm going to mount it in one of these
Photographer's nightmare, multiple different colour light sources, one of the most challenging areas I have read and most guides recommend to steer clear of such, which of course is why technical minded ones seek into such situations :)
I see you have also some interest to join old and new, I have that bicycle lamp project which is mounting led to 60's bicycle lamp.
Progress is slow as we don't really need lights here anymore, it is not getting fully dark anymore and soon nights are very bright for few months.
Chris_C wrote: Great photos as ever, the colour of that water is pretty special! We have a pond in the New Forest that goes the same colour, never worked out what causes it.
Thanks, some are not quite as great looking when so small, but even 1080p size is bit difficult to put on these boards, yet alone some full size ones, which are great for exploring things from pic, still need to make panorama from the stream, I have photos, but sadly hugin does not read NEF and I need to convert photos first.

It is the soil, peat it seems to be called in english, reason why they dry swamps is so that they can get peat out from them, which of course destroys whole swamp ecosystem from such swamp and is something that is under heated discussion at times. Some consider it renewable energy, but as it is hundreds of years until peat can be collected, it is bit questionable as such, also it does that to nearby water as water runs out from swamp area, some peat gets mixed to water and that makes water undrinkable unless it is purified. Well, I guess one could drink it, but it would be bit like eating dirt.

It would be lot less problematic, if effect would be only small and for small area, but when tens of small ponds and lakes are affected from quite large area, it becomes bit of a problem.

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 25 May 2013 09:11 pm

Jani those ant pictures are amazing!

I haven't done much photograhpy lately. I'll have to redeem myself. :-P

Few random shots and most of these are taken with a cellphone cam. :oops:

Ice and fire. Burning of some cut down hawthorn and old parquet flooring. Pic taken with a Canon Powershot SX200 IS.

I visited Netherlands and Belgium (Yes Duvel is a great beer! :D) at last month.

Loooong dam at Netherlands. Pic taken with Canon Powershot SX200 IS.

It's almost like a pie chart of the elements in the picture it self. :D

Autumn colors viewed from the office window @ Viikki, Helsinki, Finland. I should take a "four seasons" compilation with a proper camera, as it's pretty different view at different seasons. :-P This one is taken with a Nokia E7 cam... :oops:

Ocean viewed from the Suomenlinna Sea Fortress at the Helsinki coast at this spring. (also taken with Nokia E7...)

Ice fishing at the frozen Vanhankaupunginlahti (it's a bay next to Helsinki, I know.. nice name for foreigners to read or pronounce... :D). Again taken with the E7.

Summer in the city, viewed from the S90's side mirror. 8) E7... This is starting to get annoying. I've taken more pics with that "camera" than a proper one... :D I really have to start carrying my proper camera with me more often.

This one is few years old, but the view is still the same. ;) Panoramic view from the hill next to the summer house @ Iisalmi, Finland. Taken with some random oooooold Canon Powershot camera.

I won't post a direct image as it wont fit in the forum frames. :-P

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/eh8f ... norama.png

-Marko
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway