What have I done to deserve this?

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

What have I done to deserve this?

Post by pettaw » 15 Jul 2008 08:45 pm

Two accidents in about 3 months :(

This time the red car, parked at the side of the road, everybody at work.

Some scroats steal a VW R32, and make off at high speed. PC plod gives chase, and they lose them. The scroats then manage to find their way onto my road and plough into our neighbour's van, bounce off that, career into another car, and end up resting into the front bumper and panel.

Apparently plod has all my insurance details and will contact my insurance company direct and I'll be able to claim off the uninsured losses department.

My mum managed to get a good few piccies before PC plod arrived the tow the car away. Apparently the people involved have been located and arrested.

Its in a pretty bad way, the lights miraculously have survived, as has the bonnet, but the front bumper has had it and the whole front panel has been pushed back against the engine. Whether the force has been enough to squash the box sections in the chassis is anyone's guess, but the research starts tomorrow to find a way to put it back on the road....again.........oh boy what a palava.

BTW I never updated you all on what happened with the blue car, after 3 months of writing letters etc, I bartered them up to a 650 gbp payout. They wrote the car off Cat C without telling me. I managed to convince the engineer to remove the write off and put it down onto the records as a 'cash settlement' in lieu of repairs and therefore the Cat C has been removed from the car and the history is preserved :D I located a second hand bumper and a Hadrian rear panel and those have now been fitted. The bodyshop haven't done a great job of removing the dent from the number plate panel, but when the rear wheel arch needs doing they can have another go.

Moral of the story never accept anything from insurance companys and always always ask. I never ever got anything in writing at all, and I bet I won't until I bank the cheque. I have since phoned up and it has all been confirmed that the car is not written off under any category and isn't registered on the databases.

MJ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MJ » 15 Jul 2008 09:47 pm

:( That is bad luck. And the thieves will probably just get let off :(

Lets hope the damage isn't too serious, good luck :)

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 15 Jul 2008 11:38 pm

has the piccy not showed up? :( its bad believe me.

petefarrell360
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by petefarrell360 » 15 Jul 2008 11:53 pm

I really feel for you mate, having experienced something similar myself recently. Thieving scum, I expect they'll only get a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again, what with prision overcrowding etc they'll not even put them away, letting them out to carry on thieving. The fact they stopped using your car and crashed is the only way the Police were likely to catch them. I hope you get it all sorted out soon, don't take any crap from the insurance company!

Pete
G reg 360 GLT, G reg 340 GL Variomatic, plus many more..........

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 16 Jul 2008 01:12 am

Man that's foul luck.

I think they should be locked up in a new "thieving scrotes suspended by their scrotes over a tank full of piranhas while school children hurl Ruperts used incontinance pads at them" exhibit at Alton Towers.

See if you can get a deal on the R32 ;)

If you need any parts...that GLEi SE is getting parted out in a few weeks.

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 16 Jul 2008 07:45 am

I agree with Foggy

in fact I will even donate the piranha

trabitom99
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by trabitom99 » 16 Jul 2008 08:47 am

Andy, I feel really sorry for you, two accidents which weren't your fault in such a short space of time :-(

What's going on in the UK at the moment? Not a month passes without someone on the forum saying their car got crashed into / stolen / joy-ridden / broken into etc. The German papers are full of the British governments' new plans to curb anti-social behaviour, knifing, binge-drinking etc. Is it really getting that bad or are the Germans just trying to distract from their own problems?

Tom
343 GL Touring B14.1E CVT (155) 98000kms 1980 (sold)
343 L Junior B14.3E MT4 (155) 229000kms 1981 (scrapped)
343 DLS B19A MT4 (155) 167900kms 1982
360 GL Injection B200F MT5 (231) 348598kms 1988 (scrapped)
360 GLT B200F MT5 (302) 230000kms 1988

MJ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MJ » 16 Jul 2008 11:26 am

No idea what it's like in Germany, but things seem to be getting worse here.

I can see it looks very bad in the pic Andy, but I hope the chassis is ok. As you say, you can only tell when you have a good look. :?

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Ronnie » 16 Jul 2008 11:30 am

Bad luck Andy - that looks like a big impact. Big enough to completely pancake a normal car anyway. I've had 2 cars written off while parked and it really makes you mad...

Good luck with the insurance.

As for anti-social behaviour - 20 years of incompetent parenting, with parents unable or unwilling to discipline their children and with a state system which castrates any teacher/police man who trys to do it for them, are coming home to roost. Kids need limits set or they will grow up to be little b******s - in fact they like it. It makes them feel safe.
'85 360GLT Mk2 3 Door B19E - SOLD
'94 L400 Mitsubishi Delica LWB

http://www.filterfeeder.eu

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 16 Jul 2008 12:52 pm

Same castrating going on here too, also similar problems are increasing. Why young lads feel sick and do these stupid things? They are not allowed to be mens but some castrated unisex persons.

Of course lot has to do how you raise kids, but with these norms and rules I feel it is rather impossible to raise kid that actually has bit more manly view of world.

But in my opinion castration is perfectly good punishment to those who steal cars and crash into some parked cars, if person is that stupid he/she should not ever have kids.

I hope that your car can survive with replacement of parts, but it surely sounds like it would be rather bad, if beam under engine has not moved or deformed then there might have chances.

We have one man that is almost family, he is most unfortunate fellow I know of. He had family and life did look good, however in few years wife got sick and passed away, bit later daughter died when teenagers raced on public streets, his house burned down, car was stolen, son did die because of drunken driver and sister was killed when returning home from restaurant, naturally he is not most happiest person in a world, but still he goes work everyday and somehow manages to keep head above surface.

Let's hope that for you things start getting better direction soon, life can throw lot of crap on you, but at end of day there must be sun too :)
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 16 Jul 2008 03:44 pm

Ouch as I said on the phone mate, I couldn't believe it. I do have a 1 year old Nissens radiator coming off my 360 if you need it for this. Let me know if you want the front panel, although as said it's not in the best of health.
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 16 Jul 2008 08:10 pm

Thanks guys. the front panel is pretty badly caved in, miraculously the lights seem to have survived, as do the foglights.

The front grill came flying out when I finally managed to pop the bonnet, it was held tightly shut cos the front panel had moved back against it.

I think, though, that there's good news. The chassis has held up. I think.....The box sections don't look squashed up at all really, the smash has torn and bent the tags which its held onto the front panel with, but the main structure is sound. If I can get a new front panel and new bumper and ancillaries, I think this is repairable.

The car was only insured third party, but I think I'm still able to claim against the uninsured losses fund, because quite obviously it wasn't my fault.

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 17 Jul 2008 12:28 am

I *may* have a usable front panel and bumper, etc, on this GLEi SE I have. I also have a couple of GLT grilles kicking around.

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...