Planning to head to Australia

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 31 Aug 2008 09:08 am

Lol have been looking around and probably will try to get a Holden Commodore or similar then. I'll be picking up in Cairns and then driving myself down to Melbourne, so will probably have to stick to the larger places otherwise won't be able to pick up and drop off in another place.

Don't worry Mick I'll get a booster cushion to enable me to see over the wheel ;) Do you have to get pedal extensions :P

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 31 Aug 2008 03:10 pm

Sorry, can't resist, 500hp and pretty neat sound, lot of straight road with no cops can be seen :wink:
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

Chesh740R

Post by Chesh740R » 31 Aug 2008 11:18 pm

http://www.chesh.co.uk/MovieFiles/Bathurst.avi

Above is me and The Toyota Avalon in action at Bathurst.

All I can remember was it had 3.0 V6 and bald tyres when we picked it up.

carnut1100

Post by carnut1100 » 02 Sep 2008 03:18 am

Avalon is not a Aussie Camry at all. It is the American one a size up from a Camry, when they facelifted teh yank one they shipped the tooling out here. Only pensioners and hire fleets bought them so they quit making them.
We make Camrys here in Aus, as well as a bigger V6 only one called the Aurion.

As for roos, watch out in country areas at night.
In the day they are not much of a problem but at night........
Where I live there are only little ones, but inthe last 5 years or so I have probably hit around half a dozen. they don't do much damage but a big Western Red..............just be careful.
And do NOT hit a Wombat, they are pure bone and muscle and are wrecking balls if you hit one.
Volvos rock!

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 02 Sep 2008 09:59 am

[quote="carnut1100"]Avalon is not a Aussie Camry at all. It is the American one a size up from a Camry, We make Camrys here in Aus, as well as a bigger V6 only one called the Aurion. [quote]
thats wierd .

my mistake ,I thought the avalon was the Aussie Camry and the solara was the yank one

it turns out the solara was origionally the camry coupe

the haynes book of lies lists the avalon, camry ,solara and lexus es300 in the same manual suggesting they are basically the same car

wikipedia says you are spot on ,
as you say

The Avalon was based on a stretched Camry platform and had a 3.0 litre V6

In 1999, Toyota sold the old tooling for the Avalon to Toyota Australia, which launched this Avalon as an "all-new" model in June 2000.

The Australian Avalon therefore had an identical body to the original American built 1995 Avalon

no wonder it failed in Australia , you guys were being sold a "brand new " model that was already 5 years old in the states :lol:

the model I have is a 1999 V6 sx v20 which I believe was the conquest in Australia

blackbox

Post by blackbox » 03 Sep 2008 11:37 pm

Chesh740R wrote:http://www.chesh.co.uk/MovieFiles/Bathurst.avi

Above is me and The Toyota Avalon in action at Bathurst.

All I can remember was it had 3.0 V6 and bald tyres when we picked it up.
that was the wrong way to go around bathurst and it is still a race track it hold a little race that is 1000 ks long did u have fun there anyway
1984 360glt B19 black