Look what I found from garage :-O

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
jtbo

Look what I found from garage :-O

Post by jtbo » 15 Sep 2008 08:23 pm

Ammunation from m/39, finnish evolution version of WWII Mosin Nagant.

Joy of buying old house, one gets surprises, I'm not particularily sure if this is happy or not so happy surprise as if there is even more of those it would be better not to weld and use angle grinder in garage, little accident could become tad bigger if I manage to start small fire that causes bullet to launch into my lung or brain whom I prefer without additional holes :?
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

Chesh740R

Post by Chesh740R » 16 Sep 2008 01:11 am

If the fire had happened. It would have been the casing that would have fired across the room not the actual round and unless you were standing pretty point blank range it would not be fatal.

If your feeling brave, Put the casing in a vice, Grab a nail and a hammer and fire the round!!!!!

Don't do that!!!!! But thats what kids that knew no better did in the 2nd world war.

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 16 Sep 2008 10:33 am

Chesh740R wrote:If the fire had happened. It would have been the casing that would have fired across the room not the actual round and unless you were standing pretty point blank range it would not be fatal.

If your feeling brave, Put the casing in a vice, Grab a nail and a hammer and fire the round!!!!!

Don't do that!!!!! But thats what kids that knew no better did in the 2nd world war.
Lol!!!

Nice find Jani! We found a snare trap in our loft when we moved to the island... loaded... tied to teh rafters with a bit of rope. No idea what they thought was in the loft!
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 16 Sep 2008 03:45 pm

Perhaps it was not meant for something that was in loft, but what goes there? Anti theft device?

Well, I must now start looking if I can find m/39 from some hideous location, surely rounds are good for shooting? :lol: Perhaps better not to test :D

MJ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MJ » 16 Sep 2008 10:49 pm

Good find, maybe you should get a metal detector.

A friend of mines grandad moved house sometime after the war, and they found some unused grenades :shock:. I think they asked someone to come and collect them :lol:

V6 Man
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by V6 Man » 17 Sep 2008 10:18 pm

Chesh740R wrote:If the fire had happened. It would have been the casing that would have fired across the room not the actual round and unless you were standing pretty point blank range it would not be fatal.

In about 1987 or thereabouts a group of 14 yr old lads at the Judd Grammar School in Tonbridge in Kent found a couple of 0.303 rounds in one of the former WW2 underground bunkers that were on site used exclusivley by military personell and that had been exposed to the elements by the fabled '87 hurricane.
Now these lads were of an inquisitive frame of mind and happened to wonder if the rounds were live, and if indeed were still capable of being fired. Rather than hand them in, or suggest that a trial firing or these bullets in one of the School Cadet Forces Lee Enfield rifles it was felt that the best course of action was to wait until a chemistry lesson, hold a bullet in a set of tongs and place the bottom of the cartridge in the hot blue flame of a Bunsen Burner..........

Assuming the school chemistry labs haven't been refurbished (I hope not, they were good old fashioned solid affairs) there should still to this day be a large chunk missing from the 4" solid oak front desk and a large chip out of the frame of the old fashioned roll type blackboard. The hole in the wall got plastered over though.

Yes, I went to Judd School.
Yes, in 1987 I was 14.
Yes, I did explore the underground bunker.
Yes, I was present in that Chemistry lesson.

That's all I'm prepared to say without my lawyer present........
Terms and conditions apply. This post may go down as well as up. Regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Hard hats to be worn. No reversing without a banksman. No admittance to unauthorized persons. Stop that. Put that down. Leave that alone.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 19 Sep 2008 08:42 pm

Those other boys surely were quite something back then :lol:

I take a peek into dark corners of garage tomorrow, let's home there is no mines or grenades :shock: