340 Handling?

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 12 Dec 2008 02:27 pm

[quote=EDIT: Slow cars do win, out of everything I've driven two of the most fun are 300s and MG midgets. Both you can get to play at silly slow speeds[/quote]

The first car i (was) drifted in, was a morris 1000.
It was a few year ago mind, and I mustve been about seven, and it certainly taught me not to take the p*ss out of my old mans 'banger'.

Driver training VS Driving equipment?

Got to be a fifty-fifty investment I recon.

But then again, what do I know?
:oops:

filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by filthyjohn » 12 Dec 2008 04:41 pm

Chris, did the IAM course drop your insurance much? I've wanted to do it for a while, and 25 is looming so looks like I've missed out on the discount.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 12 Dec 2008 05:59 pm

It didn't drop it mate, but when I was under 25 it was the deciding factor that let me have a modded car and do 15,000m in it a year. Seems the 7years NCB doesn't count for much :roll: :lol:
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by filthyjohn » 12 Dec 2008 06:29 pm

Still, it might be worth having even if it doesn't cheapen things. Quite apart from being a better driver, it means the next time a copper casts aspertions on my driving abilities (they do this a lot) I'd have some proof I'm not a spaz.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr

Joshy

Post by Joshy » 13 Dec 2008 12:01 am

Thanks for the words guys

Funny you should mention Skid pan days, as a part of my apprenticeship programme we'll be doing a driver dynamics course next year for a week, which will involve a bit of rally driving and best of all, a skid pan session in a 400BHP 2,500kg twin turbocharged Arnage T! 8) Just one of the many perks I get working for Bentley! :twisted:

The 1.4/1.7 debate still rages on. The cheaper tax and insurance are a bonus, but I'd think I was always missing out. Plus it would make any future engine swaps (I want a turbo! - A completely standard looking turbo vovlo sitting on steelies is RIGHT up my street, hehe)

I'm maybe Getting ahead of myself though, I wanted to know if 340s were any good at the twisties and they are, so the search can begin!

How much am I looking for a 340 in good shape? There is one over the road that doesn't get used much, but I have no idea what to offer for it!

Paula

Post by Paula » 13 Dec 2008 12:45 am

Hi Andy,

Totally agree with all you guys about Volvo 340's.

I am a semi-retired Motor Racing Journalist but still go to a lot of race meetings.

In September 2003, I was motoring in Trundle 2 down to the Goodwood Revival Meeting.

I took the lower route the A283 Petworth road to Goodwood and half way along a nice Alfa Romeo came up fast behind me.

I thought to myself " Right let's give him a run for his money "

Well I kept him at bay for many miles along this wonderful driver's road until we came to a long climbing hill and I indicated left to let him get past me. He waved in acknowledgment and we beamed at each other.

When I arrived at Goodwood, his Alfa was just in front of me and I popped over to see him.

I recognised him and let's say that this guy is a well known " Le Mans 24 hour driver ".

He also recognised me and we had a great laugh.

He said that he could not believe that a Volvo 340 1.4 could handle that well around bends and be pretty quick on the straights too.

He also said that " I was the quickest and safest female driver that he has ever had the pleasure to drive against ".

That made my year coming from him, I can assure you.

I did not tell him though that I won " Fastest Driver of the Day " race cup with my Renault 5 TS converted into a Renault 5 Alpine back in 1978.

A year later a friend of mine was testing his Formula Ford at Goodwood and when we left he shot past me in his Peugeot 306.

I thought to myself right David, I will just stalk you and overtake you when you are not concentrating.

He always said that " I had no chance catching him in my Volvo ".

Well I just kept up a high average speed and when we got to Milford on the same A283, I saw him up front.

I overtook a few more cars and then caught him napping as I sailed past.

He nearly dropped his steering wheel in shock ............ :lol:

Later that day he called me and said that I must have used a short cut.

David I said " There is no short cut on that road ".

He has never believed me to this day .....Tee Hee !!

These stories just prove how quick a well driven 340 can really be against " So called faster cars ".

I love it's solidarity and excellent all round vision which all helps to make fast driving feel very safe and secure.

I fitted wider tyres to Trundle 2 as soon as I bought her from the too skinny standard 155's to 175's and that transformed the cornering and handling on the 5J rims.

Will not be long before I find another mint one.

Any news on T2 yet Andy?

Nite

Paula

PS. Hey guys, my first car was a Morris Minor 1000 Traveller and on the way to Cornwall I kept an MG Midget at bay all the way from Exeter to Launceston on the A30. In those days it was a windy cart track....The driver eventually passed me going up a long hill with the Midget's superior power..... :wink:

PPS. I was telling Andy last weekend when he came to collect T2, how I once had fun with the Volvo on a wet and three laned roundabout one winter when I sailed through with the tail nicely hanging out ...Great fun but only when you are experienced with RWD cars.

Andy P wrote:I'd tend to agree with Dai on the 1.4 front. It wasn't too long ago when I was a young driver looking to insure my first car.

Ended up with a 1400 Rover 214. Granted its fair bit more powerful than the 1.4 in the 340 but what I'm trying to get at is it'll be no slower than anyone else will have in your age group. Most your age will be thrashing about in 1.1 106's with spaceship like plastic bits hanging off them!

I can see why the more experianced drivers here are suggesting the 1.7+ motors but no matter how good you think you are a driver at that age you simply don't have the experiance. The 1.4 is more than enough to get you into trouble.

I've got a 1.4 340 and its plenty of fun - completely bog standard in the wet hanging out the back end will get you grinning from ear to ear and will happily cruise at 70 on the motorway.

I say get a 1.4 and bolt on a few cheap suspension mods and get some real experiance (and a no claim bonus!) I'm not going to say you'll crash but if it does happen and you write off the car at least you wouldn't have thrown away hundreds on expensive suspension mods. Once you have the experiance then up to more power. I know you'll probably hear this a thousand times from "your elders" and you'll get sick of it - I was too but no doubt in a few years time you'll be dishing out the same advice.

Oh and just before you think "whats this old guy saying with his slow cars" I'm 23 and own a 400hp S40 turbo along with 2x 1.4 340's. The S40 is fun in its own way but its nothing compared to the grin the 340 usually leaves me with.

Looking forward to another 340 owner on the boards.

Andy
Last edited by Paula on 13 Dec 2008 01:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paula

Post by Paula » 13 Dec 2008 01:05 am

Hi again everyone,

Seeing the slalom video reminds me how awesome the 340's turning circle is.

Surprised everyone when I used to do ' One Point Turns ' in my local High Street.... :lol:

It's just like a London Black Cab or Triumph Herald/Spitfire.

Paula

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 13 Dec 2008 12:56 pm

Paula wrote:Hi again everyone,

:D Yup, I had a few people try and copy me on that dumbell in the middle, and stop suddenly when they realised they had no chance ;) RWD Triumphs and 300s are awesome for turning compared to most other things.

Do you still do any motorsport stuff Paula? There are a few of us who compete/marshall/spectate whatever we can get involved in on here.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

Paula

Post by Paula » 13 Dec 2008 05:07 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes I still go to Race Meetings and have an MSA ( Motor Sports Association - for those who don't know ) Media Pass.

For the last four years I have been spending lots of time in the USA but recently I have attended more meetings such as the Johnny Herbert Karting Challenge at the Raceway, Docklands, East London.

That was a fun day with loads of celebs and ex F1 drivers such as Riccardo Patrese.

James Hunt's son Freddie was there as well as Rick Parfitt Jnr ( son of legendary Rick Parfitt from Status Quo ), Nick Mason - drummer with Pink Floyd, the BBC's 'Strictly Come Dancing's' Brendan Cole, Louise Goodman from the ITV F1 team and Ted Kravitz who is now with the BBC's F1 team.

My ex-partner and great friend John Smith is an MSA Steward and Clerk of the Course for the Masters Series and some 750 Motor Club. We sometimes see each other at race meetings but it was he who was responsible for me getting involved again in the sport 10 years ago.

Here are some fotos from the JH Karting Challenge 3 weekends ago.

Have a great weekend.... :)

Take care

Paula

Tribute to the late and great Ayrton Senna at The Raceway's entrance

Ted Kravitz(right) with former ITV colleague

Johnny Herbert & Mike Segal (The Raceway's owner)

Riccardo Patrese getting into kart

Riccardo Patrese lapping kart

Riccardo Patrese and Mike Segal

Rick Parfitt's team ( SCD's Brendan Cole sitting in the kart)

Nick Mason - Drummer with legendary Pink Floyd

L-R - Rick Parfitt(Jnr), team member and Brendan Cole

Louise Goodman

The late 1976 F1 World Champion James Hunt's son, Freddie Hunt

The winning teams - Rick Parfitt Jnr's team with Brendan Cole came 3rd

Chris_C wrote:
Paula wrote:Hi again everyone,

:D Yup, I had a few people try and copy me on that dumbell in the middle, and stop suddenly when they realised they had no chance ;) RWD Triumphs and 300s are awesome for turning compared to most other things.

Do you still do any motorsport stuff Paula? There are a few of us who compete/marshall/spectate whatever we can get involved in on here.

Paula

Post by Paula » 13 Dec 2008 05:17 pm

Hi again Chris,

My friend Claire in the USA just read my first post on this thread and these were her comments.

She still has a LHD Triumph Herald and LHD Triumph Spitfire ..... 8)

I just went back and read it - great stories! Neat that you remember
that the Heralds had a tight turning ability too - when they were new,
only the London black cab was better. And of course, since the lower
trunions were almost always worn from improper lubrication, they got
even tighter turning as they wore out.

Paula
Last edited by Paula on 13 Dec 2008 05:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 13 Dec 2008 05:18 pm

:shock:
Woah.
That looks like it was a fun day out!

Bet you it was a blast Paula.

Envy. :wink:

Paula

Post by Paula » 13 Dec 2008 05:29 pm

Hiya,

It sure was awesome..... sm97

The running of the 14th annual ' Johnny Herbert Karting Challenge ' is in aid of:

See: Welcome to the Warwickshire & Northamptonshire Air Ambulance

and:

.::THE RACEWAY::.

Riccardo Patrese set the fastest lap of the day and was a delight to watch with his perfect lines through corners. Nobody could touch him and he passed everyone when he was racing...........:cool:

See Rick Parfitt Jnr's website:

rick parfitt jnr

At least this year, there were no smashed glass trophies ............:lol:

See:
YouTube - Johnny Herbert's Smashing Trophy

Yours truly is the tall blonde photograher in the background.

Still my highlight of the day was meeting Brendan Cole and I managed to briefly chat to him when Rick introduced me.........:cool:

I never did get a dance though and now he is engaged...... :(

Paula

PS. See Brendan's website:
Brendan Cole

and
Ladies man Brendan Cole shares tender hug and kiss with Strictly dance partner Lisa Snowdon | Mail Online

I'm jealous .............;)

volvosneverdie wrote::shock:
Woah.
That looks like it was a fun day out!

Bet you it was a blast Paula.

Envy. :wink:

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 13 Dec 2008 06:15 pm

Awesome stuff! I've been playing with motorsport photography for 12months or so now, but can't see me doing it pro. Let me know if you head down to the Sunseeker or South Downs stages in Feb though (or the Loco, but I don't think I'll be able to make it at the mo).

John, I had a look at the skill for life IAM thing today, I can get packs for £99, less £20 if you're under 25.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
Ex:

Paula

Post by Paula » 14 Dec 2008 12:50 am

Hi Chris,

Yes I do have FUN at Motor Race Meetings ......... 8)

Sadly, I can't make February next year as I will be recovering from a Hammer Toe operation with a metal pin in the toe..... :(

But I will be covering Autosport International 2009 at the NEC in early January for Karting Magazine ......... :)

Hope to meet up soon.

Nitey nite

Paula
Chris_C wrote:Awesome stuff! I've been playing with motorsport photography for 12months or so now, but can't see me doing it pro. Let me know if you head down to the Sunseeker or South Downs stages in Feb though (or the Loco, but I don't think I'll be able to make it at the mo).

John, I had a look at the skill for life IAM thing today, I can get packs for £99, less £20 if you're under 25.