help neede buying a new tv

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
jtbo

Post by jtbo » 01 Jan 2009 12:04 pm

volvosneverdie wrote:Then its settled.

We're all getting projectors.

Anyone wanna buy a car?

:shock:
Who needs car when you have a projector, just project yourself to new locations... uh oh, right it was not one of those kind of projectors we were talking about :lol:

Mine did cost something like 400, it is not perhaps the best out there, but it is really easy to see stuff even with that.

Hmm, maybe I should just get new glasses? :lol:
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 01 Jan 2009 12:10 pm

Glasses?
No, just sit nearer the thing you want to see.
Or further away, depending on the level and severity of your sight problem.

Easy, and cheap !

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 01 Jan 2009 01:08 pm

thanks everyone , we are getting close to a decision.
we went into currys and comet yesterday and they wouldent shift on their display prices so screw them .
John Lewis do seem to have some great tv's for sale and the FREE 5 year warranty is a big plus , had heard plasma dont last as long as lcd and more expensive to run.
Went to the sony centre they had a tv for £1349 that was £995 at marks and spencer which was about 2 minutes away and was £885 on the net , the guys attitude was if you dont like our prices then fuck off.
maybe the pound note is no longer mightier than the card

a little over budget but this is the front runner so far ( wifes pushed it up from a 42 to a 47 personally I dont think 5 inches makes that much of a difference )

http://www.johnlewis.com/230551336/Product.aspx

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 01 Jan 2009 01:59 pm

volvosneverdie wrote:Glasses?
No, just sit nearer the thing you want to see.
Or further away, depending on the level and severity of your sight problem.

Easy, and cheap !
Problem is that my arm is not enough long to read small text, but can't really see if I put text further than that, so I got worst from both worlds :lol:

MJ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MJ » 01 Jan 2009 05:16 pm

jtbo wrote: Hmm, maybe I should just get new glasses? :lol:
Considering how much glasses cost, a bigger TV instead sounds like a good use of money :lol:

Luckily I can read anything within arm's reach fine, it's just stuff further away that's a problem - like road signs :?

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 01 Jan 2009 06:00 pm

MJ wrote: Luckily I can read anything within arm's reach fine, it's just stuff further away that's a problem - like road signs :?
thats all right MJ being as your car never leaves the village you should know all the road signs round your way off by heart ny now :lol:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 02 Jan 2009 05:49 am

MJ wrote: Considering how much glasses cost, a bigger TV instead sounds like a good use of money :lol:

Luckily I can read anything within arm's reach fine, it's just stuff further away that's a problem - like road signs :?
With price of my glasses I can get cheap projector, that is quite tough call as one really does not see on road, there is hardly ever situation that needs seeing clearly and if there is, I seem to know it before driver that causes it, which is bit weird, but same happens to co-worker of mine that drives equal lot in a year so I guess it is not just me going crazy, but my co-worker as well :lol:

Worst part with projector setup is that you have to start watching it, as it is not something you could just keep on, they heat quite a bit and require bit darkened room to really see all colours so those really don't suit for every situation.

V6 Man
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by V6 Man » 02 Jan 2009 05:29 pm

Bear in mind that LG stuff has a good picture, but the build quality and speaker design is poor. If you've got a decent (not a 'all in one') surround set up and are only using the screen for pictures then this won't be a problem, but it compared to Sony or Panasonic for example the sound is crap.

100Hz offer better pictures than 50Hz, but there's only a few 100Hz LCD sets about at the mo. The Panasonic Verilots of meanigless vowels sets have a truly glorious picture that's even better in 100Hz guise.

1080 is a waste of time unless you intend to use it for gaming. HD and Blu-Ray are only at 720 and there are no plans to use 1080 in those formats at all yet so it'll be at least 4 years before it happens if at all. nly certain X-Box, PS3 and Wii games have 1080 res at the mo so basically don't get conned into paying extra for it.
Terms and conditions apply. This post may go down as well as up. Regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Hard hats to be worn. No reversing without a banksman. No admittance to unauthorized persons. Stop that. Put that down. Leave that alone.

redline
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by redline » 06 Jan 2009 02:30 pm

ok , as always woman want the biggest they can afford so we ended up with the phillips 47 inch 1080p

now I have another question
the set has built in freeview and we do have a digital aerial on the house .

we also have virgin cable ( the old ntl )

both of these use the coax aerial socket

at the moment we have the ntl going from the box to our video recorder then onto the tv via the vhs video so that uses a scart and the coax .

can I just connect the digital aerial to the tv by putting a tpiece splitter into the coax socket and plug the ntl in one side and the digital aerial in the other or will that cause impedence problems ?

any help greatfully recieved and thanks for all the help so far