Its taken 20 years...

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
kaos

Its taken 20 years...

Post by kaos » 01 Jan 2009 06:03 pm

But alas its finally hit home My 340 3 door needs its first piece of welding. :cry:

Ive taken the damaged wing of after seeing chris's thread to see if there was anything there.
and well heres some pictures

Shockingly clean.

Oo whats that?

ohwell lets take the whole bloody awkward thing off!

that wing has never been removed! it was fecking solid! ohwell it aint goign back on the car now anyway! so need to source a decent wing again!
luckly i found diamond cutting discs in the shed for my angle grinder i thought i was completly out of discs!

Fairly large chunk cut out!

well thats bassicaly that section sorted for now. ive painted it to protect it over night. the other little bits are all surface rust so untill i find a workign drill i cant skim over them.

Ive also had a play

ideally i will do all of the inner wing section just to play safe that i just slapped over the top of the current stuff non rusty after cleaning the dust n dirt off.

Even my new van got the patchwork hammerite!

i need to find the wire wheel and clean it all up and slap it all on again but it will do for now.

then theres the otherside to do but i dont want to damage that wing right now as its still in good condition!

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 01 Jan 2009 07:08 pm

How much have you cut out?! Dude that looked solid too! Then again I basically cut the entire thing out today too!
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

kaos

Post by kaos » 01 Jan 2009 07:28 pm

about 2" by 5" roughly. it looks solid the minute i hit it with the screw driver it sank in a bit, second prod went through. everything else there is super still!

the front valance needs to be tidyed up aswell. but i'll just hit it with a grinder and the paint brush.

shes still rediculously solid! its taken 20 years and thats the first bit that needs to be patched. admitaly theres surface rust round the rear lips but thats from all th emud and crap. still from inside the bay theres surface rust arround screw holes and thats its! all the bits on yours that were rusty mine are spot on still. I needed a new wing for the passenger side anyway as it came with the awful dent in when i brought it so ive spent money elsewhere in the car. so i guess its time of body work now :(

Ohwell retrimming my interior will make up for it. i just dont know whether to stick with my bucket seats or put the originals back in but retrimed in black.

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 02 Jan 2009 11:26 am

Whilst your wings are off, I'd thoroughly rust proof them - the wax that Volvo put in never looks distributed very well and obviously doesn't offer much protection!
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

xtrmjks

Post by xtrmjks » 02 Jan 2009 01:22 pm

SteveP wrote:Whilst your wings are off, I'd thoroughly rust proof them - the wax that Volvo put in never looks distributed very well and obviously doesn't offer much protection!
Whilst wing are off, SPACE FRAME IT!! :lol:
Bloody rust!! :roll:

kaos

Post by kaos » 02 Jan 2009 02:37 pm

SteveP wrote:Whilst your wings are off, I'd thoroughly rust proof them - the wax that Volvo put in never looks distributed very well and obviously doesn't offer much protection!
Yep im gonan find somethign decent, then hammerite all over that section

xtrmjks wrote:
Whilst wing are off, SPACE FRAME IT!! :lol:
Bloody rust!! :roll:
I have been thinking of that! but i'd rather this car was rolling again shortly instead of me then having to learn to weld better than i can and nto be afriad of the welder yet again" and find shit loads of metal!

greenvan

Post by greenvan » 03 Jan 2009 09:17 pm

Funny this is Steve but my inner wings were just like yours (my f reg blue 2 door)!
The wax rust application might have had the same dude! Just a little bit there before tea break. At least its got something there. When I used to run a Morris Minor (back in the day) there was no rustproofing.
2012 Fiat Panda Twin Air
1995 Peugeot Harmony Autosleeper 1.9D
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan