Should licence to be taken away earlier?

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
jtbo

Should licence to be taken away earlier?

Post by jtbo » 21 Jan 2009 12:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po2cEqQjEvs

That is what happened to me today, he probably had neck so stuck that head does not turn and only blinking that rings the bell is blinking eye, it can't be too much to ask that one use those damn indicators at very least, checking from mirrors and turning head to check side would be nice too before one changes lanes.

Oh yes, we drive right side of road, there is two lanes that go same direction.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

MJ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Should licence to be taken away earlier?

Post by MJ » 22 Jan 2009 12:55 am

Yikes!

If your original video is of higher quality and you can see the registration number, maybe you should send it to the police :/ They clearly didn't see you. How close were you to getting hit, it looked pretty close but was hard to tell with the time-lapse induced frame rate.

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 22 Jan 2009 01:01 am

Flick left, gas.
Thatd have woken the old boy up.
Or killed him.
Would have been nice to have seen him fishtailing off down the road though.
The only drawbacks would be thr damage to your front corner. And the resulting prison sentence. :lol:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 22 Jan 2009 01:40 am

Also that is good corner of my crappy fwd, other corner misses quite lot of plastic, that was result of previous owners driving.

There were perhaps good 20cm, bit hard to say because of angle, I didn't want to let them any closer than that so I found better to slow down a bit, license plate is very clearly visible. I'm just not all too sure if sending it to police would do any good, it could be that they get some silly charges upon me, they are sometimes less logical than one would think.

RobT_75

Post by RobT_75 » 22 Jan 2009 01:10 pm

You had the right idea hanging back and watching his next move.

Compared to other nations aren't Finnish drivers classed as some of the best? Looking at those roads I can see how this might be the case! Give your average Brit conditions like that and they would be off the road in a matter of minutes.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 22 Jan 2009 02:12 pm

I don't know, from me it seems driving skills are decreasing rapidly as people don't pay attention, they just sit in driver's seat and carry on their journeys happily without thinking too much of driving, there are really lot of people already that don't have any idea what amount of grip there is available, some drive way too slow, some too fast.

But I guess it is same all over, cars becoming too easy and lifeless so in areas where cold slippery winter is rare situation driving skills are much worse of course.

Those kinds of situations are almost every day events to me, there are really a lot of those drivers which seem to be bit lost of what they are doing, if they would try even a bit it would make my life lot easier as I'm starting to get bit tired of avoiding accidents on my trips, on average 1-2 incidents per trip is what I face nowdays, even 10 years ago it was much better. Of course it can be that today I see bit more when driving than 10 years ago :mrgreen:

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 22 Jan 2009 02:17 pm

I'm afraid that similar things have happened to me all too often, so its not unusual here. If you sent that to the police over here, they would be completely uninterested IMO.

I have had one really close shave where I blasted the horn at him and he kept coming. I slammed on the brakes, and even though the fronts locked up, I managed to get enough of a left change in direction so that we didn't hit each other :(

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 22 Jan 2009 02:28 pm

pettaw wrote:I'm afraid that similar things have happened to me all too often, so its not unusual here. If you sent that to the police over here, they would be completely uninterested IMO.

I have had one really close shave where I blasted the horn at him and he kept coming. I slammed on the brakes, and even though the fronts locked up, I managed to get enough of a left change in direction so that we didn't hit each other :(
Yeah, I don't know how driving standard can be so bad for some drivers, how they can get their licenses? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvAQvBA0FAw I can't imagine how those would do after 3 years when they are given their licenses, surely they will slip to their bad habits again and not utilizing their brains anymore.

RobT_75

Post by RobT_75 » 22 Jan 2009 03:17 pm

Lost of people seem to consider the driving and paying attention aspect as secondary to other activities whilst in the car, namely mobile phone usage, fiddling with ipods, staring gormlessly at their sat navs etc. Sums up modern life in general, too much distraction and lack of awareness about how dangerous driving actually is.