Driving conditions

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
jtbo

Re: Driving conditions

Post by jtbo » 24 Jan 2009 01:19 am

sven360 wrote: Everyone smiled more tho' :wink:

The nanny states only encourages a lack of personal responsibility :evil:
Can't agree more, seems to me that these nanny states makes brainless producer units that consume and produce, they lack of any responsibility and failure means also nothing to them, all they do is work work work and consume all they get from work, just as they are being told to, thinking is prohibited.

Here if there is accident at winter media instantly claims that fault was in slippery conditions, so did slippery conditions took over control of car? Or did driver make error estimating how much grip there was available or overestimated his abilities?
How for me it is more obvious that it was driver that has made error, not slippery weather...

So this is just one example how responsibility is thrown to something else than person that should be responsible, in above case it is slippery weather that gets all bashing. Driver continues as ever and probably will crash again.

Were are all those people with straight backs? I remember one from 80's, he accidentally bumped to my brother, that did drop his ice cream, this guy then very politely ask sorry and demand that he can get him new ice cream, he was tourist from Africa somewhere, of course finnish person would just cursed and yelled to my brother to watch out :roll:

Some certain way thinking group has gained more power in last 20 years, same group that have nannying in genes, I'm not saying that is reason to current failing state of society but it is bit too convenient to be an coincidence.

Maybe it is just my age, feeling old already :D
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

kaos

Post by kaos » 24 Jan 2009 02:21 pm

jtbo wrote:Brainless message is "follow your speed, don't pay attention to road", I just hate that very much, all instances ring that bell as horn of truth and nobody is making even subtle notes how situation speed and actual brain utilizing has much greater benefits in safety aspect, maybe it would require actually bit of trying and that is too much to ask.

I dont know if that was intended to offend?

I was a learner back then. took 2 years to get my license. i got a crusing speed of 52MPH in my van that im driving round in alot at the moment. so i cant break the law unless i really push it( drop cog etc) and then you can hear the gearbox screaming - the old renault trafics aparently eat boxes so. im glad it cruises there.

the volvo according to what ive heard the rev limiter will kick in at 90mph on a 4 speed. which is wwwwaaaaaay more than enough. This is with the 1.8 16v engine.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 24 Jan 2009 03:23 pm

Sorry, I can't write, I meant that goverment and whole that forces us to brainless driving with all this watch your speed nonsense, they never tell you to pay attention to road really, just watching speedo like that would make all ok again, I don't know what kind of brainless people are behind of that insanity, but I guess it is politicians we vote to power :lol:

So I wasn't indeed talking nothing about your driving or you in any way, it is just that sometimes I can't write that leads misunderstandings.

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 24 Jan 2009 04:03 pm

Hang on.
Are you saying im ugly?!
:lol:

kaos

Post by kaos » 24 Jan 2009 04:08 pm

jtbo wrote:Sorry, I can't write, I meant that goverment and whole that forces us to brainless driving with all this watch your speed nonsense, they never tell you to pay attention to road really, just watching speedo like that would make all ok again, I don't know what kind of brainless people are behind of that insanity, but I guess it is politicians we vote to power :lol:

So I wasn't indeed talking nothing about your driving or you in any way, it is just that sometimes I can't write that leads misunderstandings.
Thats fair enough :), i just wasnt sure, :cry: still friends....? :cry:
volvosneverdie wrote:Hang on.
Are you saying im ugly?!

yes :D

germ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by germ » 24 Jan 2009 04:08 pm

Yea kaos mate, its not a dig at you lol, he just saying that the trend is to be glued to the speedo rather than the road and that causes (in theory) more accidents than watching the road and feeling the speed. its like blame the road conditions not the driver. i think people just can't take responiblity these days. the only gauge i watch of late is the fuel gauge lol (i don't want to be caught doing a foggy lmao)

340pw
Volvo 340 Image 1988

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 24 Jan 2009 04:40 pm

kaos wrote:
volvosneverdie wrote:Hang on.
Are you saying im ugly?!

yes :D
Cant argue with that.
Im also a very poor driver.
:mrgreen:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 24 Jan 2009 06:19 pm

germ wrote:Yea kaos mate, its not a dig at you lol, he just saying that the trend is to be glued to the speedo rather than the road and that causes (in theory) more accidents than watching the road and feeling the speed. its like blame the road conditions not the driver. i think people just can't take responiblity these days. the only gauge i watch of late is the fuel gauge lol (i don't want to be caught doing a foggy lmao)

340pw
Germ, you can put what I did mean to text much better, so let's make a deal, I just think something and you translate it to board? It would save lot of my keyboard but I think there is something I have not quite thought trough yet, just can't figure out what it could be :mrgreen:

kaos, of course we are friends :D

These videos are so funny, volvosneverdie, watch out for them :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ebKO1JKR2I

germ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by germ » 24 Jan 2009 07:04 pm

Your english is ace Jani. better than mine :oops: Loving the topics your raising shame we can't do anything about them though :cry: it is quite a horrible nanny state we live in (where isnt now? everywhere is following) Time to get the pitch forks out and go nuts? *by the time you read this ive probally been arrested for typing such a rebelious thing*
Volvo 340 Image 1988

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 24 Jan 2009 08:03 pm

There are places, where one still can be a man and do some Image hunting for example, it is just fading possibility, costs 40 000 - 100 000 :cry:

Any country where there is not curse of being modern and civilized is pretty good candidate. Where is very small amount of street lighting, there is probably low amount of nannying, coincidence? :lol:

Oh yes, in Africa you can drive with same tires all over the year (unless stolen) and there is warm weather, nights are dark so very good for astrophotography too. Also in sahara, cars can't rust, that is completely impossible to happen there, but there is naturally some other minor problems, raids, no water, more raids and such :roll:

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 24 Jan 2009 08:14 pm

jtbo wrote:Oh yes, in Africa you can drive with same tires all over the year (unless stolen) and there is warm weather, nights are dark so very good for astrophotography too. Also in sahara, cars can't rust, that is completely impossible to happen there, but there is naturally some other minor problems, raids, no water, more raids and such :roll:
And the heat mate.
Ive heard its quite hot there.
and sandy.

And theres no alchohol.
:x

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 24 Jan 2009 08:20 pm

volvosneverdie wrote: And the heat mate.
Ive heard its quite hot there.
and sandy.

And theres no alchohol.
:x
But alcohol is only useful for cleaning anyway, so I guess it is not major issue :wink:

+45C in shadow, it might get tad hot, but should not be that bad if it is dry, right? :lol:

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 24 Jan 2009 08:26 pm

you have 1 gallon of water.

radiator, or drink?

Do radiatorns run on humanwaste water? :lol:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 25 Jan 2009 04:07 pm

For radiator it is not necessarily water that it needs, but before one can answer to such question there is need to know how much fuel there in fuel tank and does radiator still leak, also how far one must travel to get closest source of water?

If radiator does not leak and there is plenty of fuel, then it would be more logical to put water into radiator as with vehicle one can reach nearest water source more likely than by foot and with only gallon of water, but if water does not stay in radiator it would be pure waste of good water to pour some to there, would be perhaps better to take window out from car, take any bit of water in radiator to pot and use sun's heat and window to distil remaining water to something one could drink and continue by foot.