Let it snow

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
sven360

Let it snow

Post by sven360 » 02 Feb 2009 01:03 am

Blizzardin' outside 8)

Thank god for woodburners and the Superbowl.

On call tonight-might as well stay up-bound to be some clown clatters summit. :roll:
Keeper of The Knights' of Bushido-lest we forget

Write it in your heart.
Stand by the code and it will stand by you.

Ask no more and give no less than honesty,courage,loyalty,generosity and fairness.

The code of the West.

OapEM

Re: Let it snow

Post by OapEM » 02 Feb 2009 01:22 am

Very sparce dusting this side of the water mate :( I was thinking before every 300 owner will be going sideways tomorrow like it or not :lol:

Fancy getting me a gig? lol
Get rich or die tryin'!

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 02 Feb 2009 09:01 am

No, it does not snow here, not even tiny bit of it on sky, but we get everything else with delay too :lol:
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 02 Feb 2009 10:11 am

Even Soton has an inch! That must mean rediculously deep elsewhere!!!
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

germ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by germ » 02 Feb 2009 12:00 pm

:?
Volvo 340 Image 1988

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 02 Feb 2009 12:11 pm

I had mock test snowed off at 0900.
our lass was meant to start a new job at nine. she had a taxi booked for 0800. taxi turned up at half nine.
Snow is not my friend.

xtrmjks

Post by xtrmjks » 02 Feb 2009 12:30 pm

COME ON PEOPLE!!! IT'S LIKE FREE TRACK DAY!!! GRAB YOUR HAND BRAKE!! :D

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 02 Feb 2009 12:39 pm

xtrmjks wrote:COME ON PEOPLE!!! IT'S LIKE FREE TRACK DAY!!! GRAB YOUR HAND BRAKE!! :D
yeah, i'll try that on me test! :lol:

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 02 Feb 2009 12:47 pm

Well yes some of us do have ,lots of snow, for England at least!
How do you lot who live in snowy climes manage? My car is absolutely Sh*t in the snow, or is it because i opted for 7" wide Ultralites?

Anyway myself and a mate thought it would be nice to go to the pub last night, even though it was snowing!

So this is what my car looked like on the driveway just before i left.

I tried going up the road, only a slight incline, but gets steeper at the top, got half way up then just thought sod it, i'm not going to make it so turned round and went down the hill.

These were taken when i stopped in the road.

Even the main roads hadn't been cleared at all be it by grit/salt or plough, do we have them in the UK?

Got to the pub about 9, had a few bottles then left at 11, when we got back to the carpark my car looked like this.

My mate lives just around the corner from me, and to drop him off and me get home usualy takes no more than 10 mins, last night it took me....... well lets just say i got home but my car didn't!

After crawling up a slight hill at a 45% angle in fourth the engine decided it didn't like taking this abuse and spewed it's cooolant out of the expansion tank! I pulled to the side of the road and promptly shut it off.

Where i got stuck/stopped so did lots of other vehicles including an articulated truck. My mate and some local house owners spent the next hour or so freeing up and pushing the cars on their way, funny how snow brings the best out in people, i was offered a cup of Tea by a total stranger from one of the houses.

Anyway a bit later 2x Landrover 90's turned up and tied themselves together, then managed to pull the stranded (admitadely unlaiden) artic out of the snow and up the road on it's way. Which to me i was something i never thoughtwould happen and was quite impressed.

After that i topped up my coolant with my water bottle, and the rest with snow :D and we carried on but in the time we had stopped the snow had carried on and settled more making it even more difficult, so we got as far as we could and abandoned the old Volvo at the side of the road and walked the rest of the way!

Heres a few more pics.

This is what happens after you do doughnuts in a snow filled empty carpark, snow made Moon disks, it doesn't really show but the snow is flush up to the rim lip!

This is where we got stuck and abandoned ship, see on the curbside back wheel the snow is 3 quarters up the wheel!!
Some cars were making it down here, but most were either 4x4's or modern fwd.

These were taken when i finaly got home and no this tape measure is not doctored in anyway.
This is on the roof of my dads Skyline.

This is looking down my road

And the snow on the road with my footprint next to it.

So god knows when i'll be able to recover my car because it's snowed all night, and its still snowing now, that'll learn me for messing with mother nature lol :lol:
89 3dr 340DL in Battleship grey with Ultralights and Williams power
Whats the matter with the car i'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?

xtrmjks

Post by xtrmjks » 02 Feb 2009 12:51 pm

Wow! more snow than here (midlands)!! Where did You get that airfreshner?? Want's one!!! :D

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 02 Feb 2009 01:22 pm

xtrmjks wrote:Wow! more snow than here (midlands)!! Where did You get that airfreshner?? Want's one!!! :D

Yes and yet it's STLL falling it's pretty crazy, everyone out in the strret talking to people you've never talked to before, the main roads are shafted with cars totaly stuck and not going anywhere, it's quite fun really lol.

TBh can't remember where my airfeshner came from but most likely a VW show somewhere.
Whats the matter with the car i'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 02 Feb 2009 01:31 pm

Glad you made it home ok Magnumpi. We're not quite that bad up here. Looks like the end of the world down your way!
Could be a scene from 'The Day After Tommorow'!

Good job you didnt have far to trek home mate.
Bet your fingets and toes were starting to feel the nip.

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 02 Feb 2009 01:43 pm

Funnily enough although i only had trainers on whci were wet through my tootsies were fine, as were my fingers, good old water/rain proof jackets and pockets.

Well i'm just heading out now on my mountain bike :shock: so will get a few more pics of my car and if possible recover it home but tbh i think thats highly unlikely.

Oh well this should be fun i'll report back later with more pics!

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 02 Feb 2009 05:07 pm

Our secret is to replace tyres twice a year, one is summer set and another winter set.

VS

It has these Image which are probably illegal in UK.

There are also spikeless winter tyres, type that I have now:

Those are different that what they sell in tyre shops in there, you have probably central europe version only and it does not grip even nearly as well.

On snow, I can floor it on 2nd withot wheelspin even boost goes up to 14PSI, grip is just incredible with those, but not on ice, spike version however has very good ice grip too, easily one can keep 100kph speeds on ice with such tyres :D

My V8 has 250lb ft of torque, it has winter tires too and it can spin tires quite well, however it can also accelerate quite quickly (well for 1900kg car anyway), needs bit of throttle control, trick is not to let wheel spin, just keep it close to that.

edit: love to see decent amount of snow in UK, seem to be quite bad there, but looks pretty :D There are some videos on youtube, in one I saw person using an umbrella, I think that I have never seen person using an umbrella when it is snowing :shock: Of course it does actually help quite a bit as snow makes everything wet when it melts :wink:

edit2: use rubber car mats under driving wheels to get stuck car moving again, also swing it back and forth so movement does not stop, spinning wheels does not make any good, that should be avoided at all cost. Sea salt can be used to melt ice/snow under driving wheels, some added weight at trunk helps too.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 02 Feb 2009 07:59 pm

It's completely down to wheels on 300's. I never used to have *any* issues on 175 steelie 13's with avons/michelins, but today on my 195 eagle F1's and Potenzas on 7j 15's was a pain in the backside!

So.... I put the Colways on :D
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast