Hello!

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
chunkybond

Hello!

Post by chunkybond » 23 Feb 2009 11:57 pm

Hey there!

I think its about time I introduced myself. my name is marcus, and I bought this 340 gl a few weeks ago from ebay:

I have learned that someone from here owned it before me??
anyways, its mine now, and I think its great! =] certainly beats driving my LWB transit everywhere!

I just cant believe the car I got for 300 squids! heated seats, cruises at 70 comfortably and quietly, service history, and only a spot of rust on the passenger door...

anyways, courtesy of Jay J340glt, I have now acquired a haynes manual (to see how to change everything!), a savage backbox (will be fitted in a couple of weeks...) and a badgeless grill, which Ive just fitted and the car now looks like this:

I do have a few plans for the car:
fit the exhaust
Get the 440 alloys from filthyjohn at the next volvo meet, paint them black and fit
Limo tint the back windows
Get it lowered by driftmoto
Put in an optima yellowtop battery and install the sound system. (this has got to be done, as a DJ should always have a nice soundsystem!) any pointers, comments, advice would be much appreciated. I am not an engineering genius but I am patient and willing to learn through (a few) mistakes!

cheers
Marcus

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Hello!

Post by volvosneverdie » 24 Feb 2009 12:31 am

Hello marcus, I know youve been bobbling round the forum for a while, but Welcome all the same dude.
That grille looks cool man. And i recon the cars gonna sit really well hunched down over those alloys.

Glad youre enjoying the whole 300 experience too man, and youre totally right, what better way to spend 300 quid?
Wouldnt even buy you a 6month bus pass. But shell it on a 300, and its pimp-comfy-cruising all the way dude.

Good on yer for posting pics as well.
More please!
Youve found a good angle there man, but unless you get a few more in, people might think your cars a giant cardboard cut out.
:lol:
340pw

chunkybond

Post by chunkybond » 24 Feb 2009 12:43 am

haha, sure il put more pics up.
My dad is a director, so I know that angle is most of the picture!
Just wanted an identical pair of before and after pics for the grille thats all!

I was also thinking of putting a camber on the wheels, to give it more of a slammed stance, but would this affect tyre wear drastically?

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 24 Feb 2009 12:54 am

gawd knows dude. ask jonni. hes fully cambered up judging by his Another One thread. you doing much sideways driving like?
i thought djs would be all about rollin slow.

chunkybond

Post by chunkybond » 24 Feb 2009 12:59 am

I dont think im going to drift it, i love the car too much!

Yeah you got it right, I do like going slow. thats why I really want to slam it to the ground! get the sounds going, and relax.... :lol:

I will have a butchers at the thread you mentioned...

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 24 Feb 2009 01:14 am

Lowering mine (well, filthyjohn did) and putting 15s on really seemed to tighten up the handling. I dont know if it was just psychosamatic or not, but it seems a lot more stable and drivable now. A little bit heavier on slow speed parking, but nowt thatll tire you out.

If I was starting from scratch, that would be the two things I'd do first. 15 in wheels, 2in drop and then smaller steering wheel.
Doesnt get you Go Kart handling like it would on a mimi. But it all helps a lot man. say true.

chunkybond

Post by chunkybond » 24 Feb 2009 10:15 pm

well Im waiting to talk to filthyjohn, to see when I can get my rims so that will be the first part of that plan :D

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 24 Feb 2009 10:31 pm

chunkybond wrote:well Im waiting to talk to filthyjohn, to see when I can get my rims so that will be the first part of that plan :D
think hes a bit busy at the minute working on his valver 24/7 getting it ready for mot, but I know hes coming down for the re-arranged meet, which'll now be late march, early april. So its safe to to recon it'll be around then dude.