How french crap fwd handles snow?

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
jtbo

How french crap fwd handles snow?

Post by jtbo » 27 Feb 2009 06:59 pm

Bloody giant lorries, if they don't drop parts, then it is pieces of snow that are twice the size of man's head, car came from opposite direction too so no chance to move left as that car was driving right middle of road, one car behind following too close while air was full of snow so if I would brake hard I would found that I have hatchback instead of wagon, so I thought it won't harm to drive over soft chuck of snow...

This certainly is no good for resale value, but do you know how many loose parts are allowed for MOT? :mrgreen:

Oh yes, gap between wheel hub and fender arc is about double now that what it is on other side, also car pulls slighty towards right, might be that it bend chassis a bit or some suspension arms, ridiculous how weak these things are :lol:
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: How french crap fwd handles snow?

Post by volvosneverdie » 27 Feb 2009 07:59 pm

think they were mostly designed for driving on the road dude.

The straight black type.
Not the Finnish crazy white rollercoaster of death type.

Well saved though. Looks like you saved it from absolute destruction anyway.

Lada Niva dude.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 27 Feb 2009 08:17 pm

I thought that I will lose a mirror, but I guess there was few fractions of inch left as no hit sound from left, only right side, if that chunk of snow would of hit middle of car, then it would probably taken off radiator and load of other stuff.

Still pisses a bit, there is car race tomorrow, then day after that I need to drive few hundred kilometers, so now I'm bit two minds about going to car race tomorrow, anyways need to bodge that bumper together somehow and need to lift car up a bit and see suspension arms that they are ok.

BTW lifting car up in snow is bit different than what many has used to in here, snow is not very solid so need to make first something that acts as solid ground and then I can lift car up, after that I can enjoy crawling at ice cold snow that finds it way to everywhere...

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Ronnie » 27 Feb 2009 09:58 pm

Jani, admit it - you've always hated that car. Get yourself a 940 and stop ****ing around :lol:

Well done for not stacking it.
'85 360GLT Mk2 3 Door B19E - SOLD
'94 L400 Mitsubishi Delica LWB

http://www.filterfeeder.eu

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 27 Feb 2009 10:13 pm

Ronnie wrote:Jani, admit it - you've always hated that car. Get yourself a 940 and stop ****ing around :lol:

Well done for not stacking it.
Yes, I did hate that car before I bought it :lol: Didn't even lifted throttle, once as door wouldn't close because lock had freezed open, I kicked door with all my strength, it did not helped, but door is now bit bend, it can be seen only when looking from top, once it got stuck to almost level ground, kept throttle floored and did flat shifts from 1st to 5th. Even I hate that car, I still don't feel good when abusing it, but it is quite crap really and deserves some punishment, love and hate relationship I guess :mrgreen:

I did bought it only to test if man really is capable of driving such thing for few years, I must say that it is not really possible, it is as pleasant to drive as if there would be pitbull hanging from balls.

I'm not too sure if car is actually saved, it could be that it has some structure damage as one corner is so high up now, but let's see that tomorrow.

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 27 Feb 2009 10:19 pm

You might have to scrap it and invest in a pitbull to hang from your balls instead dude.
:lol:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 27 Feb 2009 10:26 pm

volvosneverdie wrote:You might have to scrap it and invest in a pitbull to hang from your balls instead dude.
:lol:
I guess that I just invest to new battery for Pontiac, it is perhaps not cheap to run, but at least I fit in rather comfy :lol:

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 27 Feb 2009 11:19 pm

The 240 would stand up much better :D
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 27 Feb 2009 11:46 pm

classicswede wrote:The 240 would stand up much better :D
It does, I did hit some animal with 240, whole car bounced as it rolled under, lost one tiny bumper strip and front lip got bit loose from one end, which was easy to push back to place, also got few scars to bumper cover, but really not much of damage for size of impact. Don't really know what it was as suddenly I just woke up and something gray was right front of car, so had no time to avoid impact, even I managed to start braking. 12 hours work and after that 12 hours drive to home, so got bit tired at some point...

nomead
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by nomead » 28 Feb 2009 11:21 am

You won't pass the Finnish MOT test with a loose bumper end, or at least won't if the inspector is in a nasty mood. Dangerous to pedestrians or some nonsense like that. My 340 came with a nasty bump on the side that one of the previous owners made. At that point the bumper end came loose. And there's an old MOT test report - failed, because of that loose bumper end - nothing more. So the previous owner took some self-drilling screws and just screwed the bumper on to the wing, bastards :evil: But after that it apparently passed the inspection.

On a related note, once in the past I drove my (thankfully not mine for a long long time anymore) Peugeot 309 into a traffic sign at about 40 km/h impact speed. Dead center on the front. Bumper broke in half, radiator came off its mountings and hit the engine, and promptly leaked all water out; also the signpost bent under the car and did some nasty things to it e.g. nice bump in the sump. The front was bent so much that the front light pattern was noticeably changed. Bonnet dead, bonnet locking mechanism dead, etc.

Being a cheapskate, and at that point a poor student living on bread crumbs, I made pretty much the bodge of the century and I patched that Pug back into drivable condition. Well, as good as any FWD crap ever becomes, that is. The car was white with white bumpers. Found a cheap bonnet at a scrappy that was red and slightly rusty, painted it quickly with the cheapest paint available (Biltema acetone-based spray bottles) and stuck it on. At the same scrappy, got a replacement for the panel that has the bonnet lock. Except of course it wouldn't go on because the front was bent out of shape. Below the radiator there was a beam that was supposed to be straight but now it was very clearly V-shaped so instead of getting a new one, me and a couple friends just bent it back to almost straight. Hmm, the bonnet lock panel still wouldn't match the holes. So, new holes in the panel, done. I actually patched the radiator with silicone RTV sealant but that started coming off so in the end I had to get a new one. But the bumper repair was probably the scariest bodge of them all. The plastic on top was naturally shattered, but even the fiberglass insert inside the bumper was now in two pieces. So, lots of self-tapping screws, and lots of steel strapping (steel band with holes) and it started to look like a bumper again. Some more white paint on it, and you couldn't tell the difference. Well, you actually could, if you were closer than 10 meters. :lol:
Volvo 340DL Variomatic -89
Volvo 360GLT -86

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 28 Feb 2009 02:05 pm

This is bit better pic of damage.

Silly rules there is in MOT, wise men has said, spare the duct tape, spoil the job, so I guess plenty of duct tape is in order :lol:

There is too much snow now as in last 48 hours some ~8 inches has been added, neighbour has been more here plowing snow than home, but still there is too much of it in yard, so probably won't bother to check if there is some weird damage, it is only one wheel, if it get's loose I still have 3 of them :mrgreen:

Oh yes, notice how large gap there is from tire to wheel arc, note that this is not a WRC model :lol:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 01 Mar 2009 12:18 pm

We got it straightened, with a tractor, easy as bending tin foil :shock: :roll:

I must just use duct tape to keep bumper parts from falling off and it would be fine, except it developed new symptom, bit after starting there is loud tsssshhhhh and oil dipstick shoots up, I push it down and tshhhhhh it blows it up, stays there only when engine is warmed, also side of block is wet from coolant and snow gets yellowish colour near exhaust, so I believe it starts to die now from some odd reason :roll:

Must buy new battery for Pontiac soon, might be I need backup car sooner than I thought.

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 01 Mar 2009 12:52 pm

all sounds a bit ominous dude.
I think if it was a horse, the kindest thing would be to have it shot.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 01 Mar 2009 07:23 pm

volvosneverdie wrote:all sounds a bit ominous dude.
I think if it was a horse, the kindest thing would be to have it shot.
Probably true, but I still try to sell it and get what I paid from it, just have to sell it to someone I don't know of and who lives far away :lol:
New bumper, one hose needs cleaning and then it goes as new again.