Prop Shaft

Put here your advertisements to buy cars and parts
Swissipher

Prop Shaft

Post by Swissipher » 20 Oct 2013 11:22 pm

Evening All,

I have a 1986 340DL Manual with a broken prop shaft that I really don't want to scrap. So, as you may have guessed, I'm on the hunt for either a replacement prop, any information on a compatible one from another make/model or any form of clue as to a solution to my dilemma.

Many Thanks

mac

Re: Prop Shaft

Post by mac » 08 Nov 2013 02:50 pm

Hi there,

Firstly welcome to V3M.

As you have probably found propshafts are rather rare - and there is no instant answer - but given time one can generally be turned up!

They certainly are not available new and they are totally exclusive to the 340 series manual cars. The CVT version is different but similar in design (but not interchangeable). The slightly better news is that the same unit will fit both the 1.4 and 1.7 engined cars.
My first advice would be to keep an eye out on e-bay (340s sometimes are listed as being broken) and try scrapyards.
It's very unlikely a Volvo parts supplier would have one but try Braydon Motors, and Salvo. (Brookhouse definitely won't have one).

The other factor is what is your failure - and what caused it?
The "usual" problem is failure of the bonded rubber bush containing the splined connecter (the bush separates from the alloy tube). this is often caused by sagging engine mounts changing the prop joint alignment, causing excess heat in, and failure of, the bonded joint.

The danger is, simply replacing the prop without addressing the cause will result in, another failed prop. (good news is that engine mounts are available (remanufactured by an enthusiast in Belgium).

Do tell the forum more about yourself and your car - (and tell us more about the failure). Is your 300 your "daily" or a weekend fun car ? Are you new to Volvos? Or have you had others in the past?
Now we know of your need we can keep an eye out - but bear in mind that parts can be difficult to source and take time to find.

Bast regards and good luck - Mac.
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.