Front dampers

Put here your advertisements to buy cars and parts
jimmyhoppityhop

Front dampers

Post by jimmyhoppityhop » 20 Feb 2014 01:44 am

Hello there, I'm looking for front dampers for the 340. Their going to be made into coilovers so i don't know if i can get away with them being sent as the bar damper and not the whole thing, sure someone will point it out with how helpful this forum is ;D. If anyone wants to jump the gun and is willing to sell some coilovers i don't mind that either ;D.

EDIT: It seems to suit my needs for coilovers i am looking for a pair of front struts, but at the same time i am also looking for some dampers to test out the oil conversion that people do.
Last edited by jimmyhoppityhop on 20 Feb 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mac

Re: Front dampers

Post by mac » 20 Feb 2014 11:20 am

The first obvious point to make is that the front dampers are either the OE piston, rod, and valving built into the strut tube or are the replaceable cartridge type that slot in, in place of the "wet" system.

Std. dampers cannot be converted to coil overs - your strut units need to be converted using suitable damper/spring sets.

I may probably do you an injustice but you seem to be asking for standard dampers.

Mac.
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.

thododd

Post by thododd » 20 Feb 2014 01:44 pm

Who are you sendng them to to be converted? Theyll tell you what you need. Usually GAZ, AST etc only want the bare strut.
If you are going for coilovers youll need uprated dampers to suit whatever spring rate you go for (standard dampers are coupled with ~100lb/in springs, which in 2.5/2.25" dia will go 'coilbound')

The only instance I can think of where they would need the damper aswell is if theyd never seen that particular type of suspension before and want free length measurements etc.

I have a spare pair of bare struts you can buy :)

jimmyhoppityhop

Post by jimmyhoppityhop » 20 Feb 2014 08:58 pm

Well from what i read on the forum to do with gaz making coilovers you have to send them the bare front dampers to be used, now i assumed these would be the standard bare dampers? if i wrong it would be great if you could direct me to the dampers that i actually need.

thododd

Post by thododd » 20 Feb 2014 09:19 pm

Damper = shock absorber. You mean the 'strut' which houses the damper, has the lower spring seat, stub axle and steering knuckle on it and mounts on the lower arm by a ball joint.

Thats the bit that gaz will need. You could supply them with the whole strut (by just unbolting the ball joint, top mounts and steering arm) but theyll cut the spring pan off it, weld a threaded sleeve in its place and put a new lower spring seat and locking ring on that sleeve. Then insert a new uprated damper (throwing your old 'wet' setup in the bin) and either put the OE top mounts on or a pair of solid spherical bearing jobbies on new stiff springs, pending what you want to spend with them.

If youre after a pair of bare struts to send away I have a pair here, pm me.

mac

Post by mac » 20 Feb 2014 09:21 pm

Plainly confusion reigns!

Let us assume that GAZ is the chosen supplier, and that they would carry out the conversion work.

You take off your front struts.
Dismantle them completely.
Discard your springs, top plates, standard dampers.
Retain your brake calipers, caliper carriers and hubs,
Send off your bare struts (damper tube, stub axle, steering arm).
GAZ converts your STRUTS into coil overs using their dampers, springs, spring rings etc.
You pay them a large sum of money.
You install the units having found suitable top mounts together with (recommended) new brake discs pads and wheel bearings.

Or, if you really don't understand get somebody like Nev to do the work and pay him a large sum of money!!

Do not confuse dampers with struts!

Mac.

You got in just in front of me Tom!
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.

jimmyhoppityhop

Post by jimmyhoppityhop » 20 Feb 2014 10:18 pm

cheers for the confirmation you two 340pw , the confusion is all but gone and i understand now ha, but to be a bit cheap i do still need dampers so i can try out this oil change that everyone does without ruining my own dampers and can revert the car to stock more easily for the future ;D.

thododd

Post by thododd » 20 Feb 2014 10:57 pm

Keep spares like the rest of us :wink:

Are you in newton abbot? I was there with work today

jimmyhoppityhop

Post by jimmyhoppityhop » 20 Feb 2014 11:05 pm

Yes i live right next to newton abbot. Lovely little village where i live, newton abbot not so much ;D

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 21 Feb 2014 09:14 pm

maybe first start by reading how a damper works and what the oil goes through.

I know a there are lot of cars out there with the thick oil mod and the owners are happy. I've been in some of these cars and found them terrible.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/