JTbo's project (360GL B200K 1988)

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
jtbo

Re: JTbo's project (360GL B200K 1988)

Post by jtbo » 20 Aug 2010 08:35 pm

More welding, actually at some point welder did work like I think it should, when I made underside welding of one patch, but today I could not find agreement with it. Some of the problem might be with my improper cleaning of surfaces, sometimes metal patch seem to be bigger than area that I cleaned, also some other issues, but it is really annoying at times when I can't really get good weld, but I keep trying.

I'm quite happy with how my metal cutting and bending is, usually pieces do fit in, but I'm not so good at deciding what size and shape of metal patch I should make, also welding part seem to be more or less problematic.

Wire does not ignite properly, it does kick back even feed is not too fast, at some places or times it does burn right, but mostly it seem not to ignite/burn too well. I think that it is partly because of my bad cleaning and partly because I keep handle too far or in wrong angle, because I can't quite get into seam from proper angle, I should be completely under the car and I can't fit there. Also those hot sparks burn too much that I could lie on my back and be under the welding point, I use t-shirt as protective gear, only few burned spots on skin from today :lol:
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 21 Aug 2010 05:46 pm

Give up for the day. I'd start the bit all over again. It's a bit too much like pigeon poo. :lol:

It'll be better tomorrow (e.g. it can't get much worse) and you'll hear that lovely frying bacon sizzle.
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 21 Aug 2010 06:38 pm

Today same settings, similar metal, other car:

It is not perfect, but at least it did worked somehow, but did not work at all so well when doing underside, also wire got stuck 6 times in handle when doing underside and only once when doing upper side. It has lot to do what angle nozzle of handle is, underside there is not so much to lean to and there seemed to be small push each time when I start, which dislocates nozzle and messes up the angle.

There was 6 power settings instead of 5, I'm now using 2 and feed is set to 7 of 10. Now what if I sometimes like to weld with setting 4, there is not going to be enough feed for that? :lol:

My machine is like this:
Power setting 1 = 30A and 6=160A, if that makes any sense, so perhaps setting 2=60A

It costs now 449 euros, maybe was same price back then.

Today that grounding jaw came apart, had to fix that before I could weld, quality :mrgreen:

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 21 Aug 2010 06:54 pm

Certainly miles better today

I would of though welding car panels (0.9mm ish) that you'd want it on setting 1?

Why not just bolt the earth lead to the car?
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 21 Aug 2010 07:19 pm

macplaxton wrote:Certainly miles better today

I would of though welding car panels (0.9mm ish) that you'd want it on setting 1?

Why not just bolt the earth lead to the car?
Probably setting 1 suits better for thin french metal, at least those two soft spots that I have to cover are going to need lower power setting, then need to find out again what wire feed works for it.

I think it is easier to just clamp those jaws to suitable location.

My hand holds the mask, as I got enough from my mask's head mounting straps, much easier really, only some times two hands would make it easier to weld, so then I weld without the mask, just closing eyes and looking away :lol:

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 21 Aug 2010 09:00 pm

a good automatic helmet really is gold! i've allways preffered 2handed welding, with MIG/MAG it's easyer to control the pistol and with TIG you don't have a choice as you need to hold the welding wire with the other hand :lol:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 23 Aug 2010 02:16 pm

I think that it is not really important to see wire burning, at least with my skill level there seem to be no difference, so only meaning of mask would be protection from sparks.

Sorry to post non volvo content here, but I just wanted to show weld that I'm quite happy with:

Sometimes I move pistol too much and there is then little gap, when I fill that gap there is huge ball of metal, there is still lot to learn, but I think that I'm improving, idea seem to be to hold nozzle against some surface and point it to seam, then weld enough short that it does not make big hole, but enough long that seam is filled, then move just little bit, so that wire touches spot I just welded and then do another short buzz, then continue this all the way around, however underside seem not to work as well, wire is not hitting the target so to say.

Cleaning is important, need to clean all paint etc out, otherwise it does not work too well. Under 1cm of wire, then it seem to be working quite well, if I keep it further apart, then it does not work so well.

It does weld really nicely with 2nd power setting and wire feed at 7/10, so I keep it there, only rusted very thin metal is problem, but I should cut that all out anyway.

Awful headache, those gases are not good for me, but I must fix the damn thing. There is some problems coming, front wings should be taken out to get all soft places fixed, but wings are spot welded from between the door section. I try to get it done with some shady weld over weld things.

It is kind of fun when you get to weld in good position, I just wish there would be someone else that would do undersides :lol:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 03 Sep 2010 11:20 pm

360 is put in safe storage again, it needs quite bit of welding to underside / inner fender area, but I'm currently needing car urgently so I will work with french crap that is faster to weld together.

Only proble is local weather, today top temp was +5.6C and some rain every now and then, wind was something around 20-25m/s in gusts, so I decided to stay inside as I'm not really designed for such weather.

So now it is +4C and there might be chance to snow if weather gets just tiny bit colder and there is rain at the morning.

Hell Driver

Post by Hell Driver » 04 Sep 2010 12:05 am

Can't believe it's time for snow again there! Your climate does make working on cars outside very limited! Everyone here complains about the UK weather but I think we are lucky most of the time. It's just starting to get cooler and a bit damp here at night but still hot and sunny all day.
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
343 DL (W 80) :-)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Transit Tipper 125 T350 (02)Alive Again!
Transit Tipper Smiley face Q reg
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)
R.I.P. 77 343 DL vario :-(

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 04 Sep 2010 01:12 am

Well we had -3.1C already two nights ago, yes that is minus, but it is bit early still, about month early and we had spring almost month late, but it warmed up really fast and also summer was very hot, winds have been from east.

Last year it was early october that we saw snow.

If I remember correctly, month ago we had almost +30C temps, autumn hit quite fast and hard this time.

Every day is rain and quite cold, so it starts to be few lasts days that can work with car outdoors and can't weld indoors as I'm too afraid of fire (my garage is made from wood, also there is wood walls etc).

Leaves on trees are turned up yellow and brown slowly, also those start to fall out, so we are quite well in autumn now.

Our weather is bit problematic as sometimes we still need to cut lawn in December, even that is bit rare, but sometimes we can get some snow even early october, getting snow early september would be really early, so there is really no telling when snow comes, but often some snow comes at October, which quite often melts away so that in November is often without snow and late November early December gives permanent snow cover, but this varies really a lot.

This causes of course rather big trouble for working with car and also need to plan when to switch to winter tyres which is mandatory to do in December, but conditions often require them much earlier, ice is normal, even last years road service has been trying to change this fact of nature with ridiculous amount of road salt, they failed last winter as it was too damn cold for salt to work.

You are lucky there as there is not so cold and often snow goes away, however last winter I remember that you got some point more snow than we did :lol:

I really don't like from rain, rains every day, several times a day, sometimes pours few days in a row.