White 340 Mod thread!!!! Some photos

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
bobdylan

Re: White 340 Mod thread!!!! Some photos

Post by bobdylan » 04 Mar 2011 01:16 am

It'd be really interesting if you could video your exhaust with the bung in so we could hear what it sounds like...

I had exactly the same problem when my back section rusted through and just left the centre section, sounded lovely on idle, but frankly horrible throughout the rest of the rev range haha.
So yeah, would be good if you could get a vid
sm4

mrsoundcraft

2 years of ownership!

Post by mrsoundcraft » 26 Jun 2011 05:38 pm

Sorry still no video yet! Im blaming the frantic world of Sound and light hire for that one! and that Im having a bit of difficulty with my firewire.

Anyway I feel that I need to point out that on the 9th on June I achieved something pretty remarkable:

I've gone through a lot of cars since I started driving but the mighty 340 is the first one Ive owned for more thant 2 years! :D
Its passed both MOT's Ive put it through and despite numerous carb/air related issues its never let me down.

Ive got loads of things planned for the future. Hopefully a roll cage in the next few months, then maybe a look into the body roll, after that more power and bigger brakes.

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 26 Jun 2011 07:39 pm

Nice to hear youre still feeling the love dude.
You should STILL put a Stormtrooper decal on it.

Keep the updats up man.

(when things happen)

:340:

OliG

Post by OliG » 06 Jul 2011 08:32 pm

Awh mate, shes gorgeous!
Made my day reading this thread, keep up the :340: love man.
And the posts :P
'now it's just a shell... try putting it all back together'

1.4 fiesta si, Slammed&Smoothed - rusted away
2.0 xr2i track car, wasnt there when i got home.
1.6 corolla si 1off, daily driver/
volv340 next with some luck

mrsoundcraft

Post by mrsoundcraft » 09 Aug 2011 12:08 am

Its nice to get some good feedback on the car and all that!

Here it is, resting again for the time being. Not long fitted a sun strip to make up for not having fold down visors anymore. Its not so clear in the pic but its been great at keeping the sun out.

Ive done a few more track evenings. The 15 x 7s are great, they make a huge difference round the corners!

I think ive even improved myself a bit too. next thing to tackle is the amout of body roll, I think this is mostly the back axle causing this. Since double leafing the back has went up and needs brought down another inch but ive never quite found the time to sort this out and I think I'd like to go down the de-cambering route instead.

I'd like to know what you all think about the body roll though.

The other thing is the rear engine mounts desparatly need replaced. It took me a while to confirm it as I thought the clunking was a suspension issue because I could feel it though the steering wheel.
I have been getting a lot of this while driving the car latley but I think I can now confirm that the clunk is the down pipe hitting the subframe and steering column, caused by saggy rear engine mounts, and the fact that the suspension it tight ant spot on.
This should be an easy one to fix but without the parts being avalable Im otherwise stuffed to put it politely. Time to make something myself I think.

Ive been messing about with yet another car but hopefully I'll be able to give the 340 some time soon.
Ive also got to try and make atleast the rear half of a pug 309 cage fit :D

olliehood

Post by olliehood » 20 Jun 2012 08:54 pm

how did you find the carplan (white 18) paint when it dried ?

needing paint for my car and it looks the same cream-artic white colour and don't really want to pay over a tenner a tin for mixed stuff if this is a close match ?

would be much appreciated if you could take a photo again of the general area you painted on the lower wheel arch so i can see :)

thanks in advance :D

mrsoundcraft

Post by mrsoundcraft » 21 Jun 2012 05:51 pm

The Carplan white 18, If that was definatly the colour i used was quite a good match. I think the rubbing strip down the middle of the car helped though. The paint dried nicely and has a decent gloss. You get a lot for your money in the tins too.

mrsoundcraft

Post by mrsoundcraft » 21 Jun 2012 06:01 pm

The yellow tape is just there to hold the rubbing strip in place while the tiger seal was drying. Its quite a good finnish though.

olliehood

Post by olliehood » 21 Jun 2012 06:06 pm

looks good enough for me mate, will just do wee odd bits that aren't so noticeable, rear valance needs touched up so will get hid by bumper, need to do some bits on door and sill but they can be rubbed in with t-cut, do these volvo's have a lacquer on top ? mine is 1988, if not then did you lacquer yours just to protect it a bit better.

thanks very much for the photo :)

mrsoundcraft

Post by mrsoundcraft » 22 Jun 2012 07:11 pm

I didnt lacquer the paint. It still looks OK. Im not sure how the cars came out the factory but it was probably just finnished with the coloured paint.