"first" snow of the year

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
tim-andre

"first" snow of the year

Post by tim-andre » 04 Dec 2011 04:16 am

it snowed again today, and this time it didnt go away
gues what we did :D
pics and some movies will be up some time soon :wink:
War isnt about who is right, but who is left

jtbo

Re: "first" snow of the year

Post by jtbo » 04 Dec 2011 07:13 am

I should of taken pic when it snowed here 13cm on sunday/monday night, there is still some of it left and temps have been -4C last night even forecast was +2C, so night's rain was snow again, even many of eariler snow did melt away snow pile I put snow from yard still is there, it was 90cm high, 1.6m x ~18m in size as I did pile it.

It is still very dark outside, but there is white layer over everything it seems.

It looks like that there is this day rather warm (forecast is +2, but reality is probably around 0) and then temperatures starts to plunge down, has not been even nearly as warm here than what news have claimed, after many years first typical autumn and winter, not painfully cold one that is.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 04 Dec 2011 02:09 pm

weird weather now, it did snow a couple of times, but it just melts away, same with this time sadly, the snow that came stayed for two days, and now it looks like its summer outside again

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 04 Dec 2011 10:29 pm

Hello there north people.
It snowed in Belfast today as well. Not much but it did snow
for a short while.
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 04 Dec 2011 11:20 pm

i love snow :D especially around christmas :lol:
no one guesed right yet :wink:
anyway, i have cr*py internett connection now, and the movies is on my friends phone, so will upload when i get the movies :wink:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 05 Dec 2011 07:47 am

Here yesterday evening there was warmer and raining water, this morning ground is white again, this is quite typical weather for time of the year, it is quite usual to have snow at October and then on and off until right before Christmas it starts to pile up and typically around those times there is first cold plunge too, at new year there is typically very cold, but after that bit of warmer week or two, then really cold and bit warmer, until it goes to stupidly cold and then again warmer.

However our metoffice seem not to remember this and are claiming it is exceptionally warm and magazines are pulling headlines, our weather is not very stable as there is cold air from east and warm air from west colliding somewhere around this area, I think it is same for Sweden too, but I would think that at Norway western winds would be more dominant.

Oh, I have to change tires, our law is that December 1st is when you have to have winter tires on and one of mine is spare tire, which is summer tire.

Hopefully there is enough cold for that in next few days, because changing tires is PITA if there is less cold than -5C.

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 05 Dec 2011 09:20 am

i think the weather is weird now, usually its snow around november, first snow will come late oktober early november

i have no idea, but i gues so to

changing to winter tires here is november ;) but i changed oktober becouse the state said we could this year

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 05 Dec 2011 12:00 pm

we had a sprinkling last night and now looking out window haha
its not settling on the roads thou :cry: :cry: :cry:

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 05 Dec 2011 02:55 pm

It snowed today to, and it stays :D

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 05 Dec 2011 03:13 pm

Average temperature from last 10 days is -0.4C, it has not been very warm, but also not very cold, -2.4C now and seems to be going down, looks like that cold weather is coming to stay now, like it usually is, next week might have some real snow already coming.

There has been also warnings about storms, big headlines, winds have been very calm here, nothing that I would call a storm, strongest gust measured is 10m/s so far since they started put "storm is coming, look out" to headlines, must be some minor area that is affected by some minor storm.

Here it is allowed to use winter tires already at November, but it is enforced from December, can't really see the need to use studs yet, studless winter tires are ok for this time of year.

When there starts to be some layers of ice on road, then I would put studs on, but sadly it is again such year that I'm forced to use studs too early, well unless I find partly worn Conti Viking 5 tire.

I really can't remember how it was like to drive on winter with 360, I think that there was plenty of heat, also I remember that other cars had really horrible tires as I had very bad tires and still had no difficulties to accelerate from lights, many seemed to almost hit rev limiter when starting to accelerate wheels spinning wildly, would think that tire wear quickly that way.

I think that lights were actually better than most other cars, full beam that is, but can't really remember so well about that.

Never had exiting moments when starting car, but when temps dropped to -40C levels brake assistant servo did froze as I lost power assistance to brakes completely, was quite hard to stop.

Still can't really remember how it was to drive, too long since I did drove with it at winter.

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 05 Dec 2011 03:43 pm

The small roads around here are covered in ice now, so studded tires are a must, but on main roads its dry, no snow or ice. Anyway i decide to use studded, better grip on small roads :wink:

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 05 Dec 2011 10:52 pm

Agh! It snowed this morning as I was hammering down a B road. Really sudden too and it settled for a few minutes. I'd been awake for about 20 hours so not the nicest thing to have to cope with :lol:

Of course I was driving the french crap...
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 05 Dec 2011 11:10 pm

not good :lol: always drive the volvo :wink:
the french crap still has the helping wheel as we call it :wink: (handbrake :lol: )

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 06 Dec 2011 11:18 am

Funny thing is that my studless winter tires are par with my winter tires with studs, they are different but if anything studless grip far more on roads I drive, they just give up more sudden and much bigger amount, tires with studs are such that they start to slip earlier but really don't give up at any point completely, however they grip about the same, even studless are 175-70-14 and tires with studs are 185-75-14 so there is larger contact patch.

Tim-Andre might know Gislaved Nordfrost 3/5 and Conti Viking 5?

Generally I try to avoid bigger roads even if it would add up to 20% distance, there are too many emotional idiots on our roads, luckily those use mainly big roads as they fear corners or something, on small road it is less likely to get run over by mister too busy for his life.

We have now 5cm of fresh stuff and -3C, forecast is that no positive temperatures for a week, but more snow might be coming, so I think that I could change tires, even there is enough grip for me with 3 studless winter tire, but they might fine me from having one summer spare tire and that would suck. Last night it was -5.2C.

I still have summer diesel in tank, need to fill winter quality before really cold weather comes, car has warming at fuel filter, but it will not help at startup.

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 06 Dec 2011 06:35 pm

only places i notice slippery roads are on small roads, bigger ones i dont notice anything

ive heard about the continental viking, they are pretty good from what ive heard :D

kinda shock to was when i got home there was no snow outside my door, and half an hour later when i let out my cat it was white :lol: