Nimminz' LSD GLT Daily - Part1

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Nimminz' LSD GLT Daily

Post by classicswede » 16 Jul 2013 07:47 pm

All the brackets etc will swap over. If you wanted use of an engine crane it is a shame you don't live nearer here as you could have used mine, and workshop space if needed.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

miniswift

Post by miniswift » 16 Jul 2013 10:01 pm

Hi Matt,

You know I have an engine crane which you are welcome to borrow.
Exhaust wise, I have R1 back box I don't need so you can take that one away.

If you are going for new engine build, you know I can offer you G13B which will have easy 180Bhp from 1300 cc.
The engine is smaller and lighter but more powerful than you have. As you know, I'm in the process of building 300bhp from 1334cc!

Ohh well, we can start with ITBs first!

Cheers
Atchi

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 20 Jul 2013 10:14 am

I did think about taking the head and possibly crank/conrods/pistons but I have no chance of fitting a block anywhere here. A spare head would be nice to rebuild, and running proper compression would also give peace of mind. We shall see.
I also don't know EZK very much so we will wait and see but i'm sure i've read somewhere in the vast expanse of questionable truth, that is the internet, that it does lol

Cheers for the offers of workshop space and engine cranes but I'm going down the route of +T and i really can't do an engine swap.

Atchi, If your sure! what's the bore of the R1 backbox? You know how tempting your suzuki engine is but if I can't swap volvo engine to volvo engine, I'd have no chance at the moment of doing suzuki into volvo. - One day I'll get a project 300

ITB's on the other hand do sound something we should talk about!!

Cheers,
Matt

PS I'll stick some more pics up soon, got the loom down to the bare minimum, just IGN switch and fuelpumps, Alternator and starter to go, but they are staying connected for the final test start before the loom gets pulled
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'87 760 TDI (D24TIC) - sold
'04 V40 D sport (F9Q, decat, Remapped, launch control)
'89 740 SE (b230ft, 12psi, V-cam, headwork, 'remapped', banded steels)
'86 340 DL 1.4

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 20 Jul 2013 07:26 pm

Regarding knock control I've tried high octane vs low octane on a boosted 940, I'm fairly sure the EZK is not that clever. It is a standard memory mapped ignition with the backup of a knock back-off in a kind of fault mode. It keeps trying to return to standard advance in a non memorized way. If the ignition is too retarted by default it is not going to advance it.

I do think you are kidding yourself that you can do a T+ with LH and EZK and keep the car on the road. It would be a much simpler job to prepare the engine and modified bits off the car. The car is going to be off the road for weeks while to trying to wire up the LH and EZK anyway.

If you really want to keep the car on the road I would be more thinking about 'just' adding the turbo with a low boost, why you want the LH, it may not cope anymore than the LE? Can the AFM cope with the extra air flow and meter a suitable amount of fuel? The LE Jetronic doesn't care about the engine type, it just measures air flow (like the LH, only the LH uses a temp bulb and is more computerised)
A programmable ignition module with knock sensing might be alot easier, certainly you can use the turbo with the standard ignition if you jam the wastegate open, or just remove the clip for the actuator. Then listen to the engine for knock at increasing levels of boost (or just scope a knock sensor), and stick in a wideband O2 and monitor that too. Then add injectors, LHs or whatever according to what it tells you.

I always wondered about an Electric turbo, but what about an electric super charger? Those things move slow enough to be driven by an electric motor.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

miniswift

Post by miniswift » 20 Jul 2013 10:17 pm

Hey Matt,

I have Mega Squart which I built but nor used.
If you are interested, you can buy off me for cost price. I will be going Omex as my mate has 2 spare with G13B mapping already installed.
I can design trigger wheels if you need as well.

I think R1 back box is about 1.75" and it is free flow so it will be ideal for your setup. i have too many back box so I need to get rid of some!

Cheers
Atchi

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 23 Jul 2013 01:23 am

The way I see it is that the EFI and DI systems are both off a b200FT so the main problem is that I'll be running a slightly higher CR. I think LH might be more flexible with it's feedback sensors (O2 AFR and Knock on the Ignition) Although as you say it might not be that clever. It could also 'run out' of map.

I'm gonna give it a go anyway, if it doesnt work I can swap back, yeah its a pretty big amount of work but hey at least the engine isn't moving in / out the car.

A wideband WILL be purchased if it runs so i can keep check of everything. I'm not going to turn the boost up or anything to start with, just try and get it running.

Atchi, Sorry I've not replied to your text, it looks great, I'll have to pop round at some point soon!!

Some photographs:

Scary amounts of wire:

both ECU's in engine bay:

me removing some unneeded copper

refreshments :D

Looking emptier :)

Where did it all go?

Oh, here

And a cool volvo lineup shot

So yeah, Looms out and draped all over my bedroom ready to be tidied up ready for sticking in the 300 :D Car still ran so that's a plus.

This week we'll pull the hardware off too :D

Thanks for looking,
Matt

PS after a 360 B200 sump if anyone has one spare?
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 24 Jul 2013 01:52 am

Are you sure 7psi as standard from the FT will be ok? I would be thinking about starting with an FK actuator giving 4psi. I would think the charge is just going to get too hot when the engine compresses after the turbo and you will not take enough heat out in the intercooler. High pressure turbo, low compression engine works better because you can take the heat out of the charge before it goes into the engine.

Post Compression temps are the reason we can't have 17:1 petrol engines.
1987 340 GL 1.7

filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by filthyjohn » 24 Jul 2013 05:55 pm

Ride_on, an extra 0.5:1CR isn't gonna cause a problem.
Keeping the block mounted dizzy means service parts are massively cheaper, and if Matt wants to upgrade there's a guy on Tbricks selling a simple chip which allows you to go distributorless with the LH crank position sensor.
Also he'll have a nice 'A' cam instead of the limp 'T', and no problems with oil leaking out the back of the head.
He really, really doesn't have room to pull an engine, but he does have room to drop the gearbox/torque tube, and work at the back of the engine.

LH is more than capable of adapting to an extra bit of compression, it doesn't seem to mind me running 14psi anyway.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 26 Jul 2013 07:38 pm

The LH provides fueling it does not control the charge temp like the turbo+ in the 940 sport. Certainly it can deal with standard 165bhp and more. I am concerned the 360 engine will not and the EZK will be overusing the knock sensor retard.

Having said that if you have experience of 360 +T or know of others then thats fine, thats worth alot.

I have the DIS kit for the EZK, yes it doesn't cost much (maybe £100 after you get all the bits, he charges quite a bit for the chip+PCB). Service parts for the 940 dizzy are not that bad, you can clean them. I think I replaced mine once in 10 years, but yes the design is bad and the block dizzy is better than the cam dizzy. Eitherway plenty of options, I only mentioned it because he was using it an excuse not the change the engine.

If he can't get an engine out, is it possible to drill+tap the oil drain in situ or is the plan to use a sandwich plate on the oil filter? I guess you could drill the sump off the car.
1987 340 GL 1.7

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 27 Jul 2013 12:33 am

Cheers for the info/advice/warnigs etc. I'll try and answer them in this post...

Anyway, I now have ALL the bits I need off the wentworth, we pulled the engine on wednesday in the boiling heat. I'll stick the pics up soon :)

So my plans:

Exhaust
I got the R1 Backbox off Atchi - It's the coolest looking thing ever, although a tad long - it will definately be fitted none the less. For the rest of the exhaust it's going to be another silencer mounted OEM 360 style then up to the downpipe which I'm going to weld in another O2 sensor boss for a wideband and possibly another for Temp. I'll heatwrap the mani and downpipe and get one of those shroud things for the turbo to keep bay temps down. Bonnet vents may help here too and I'll be making a load of heatsheilds for stuff like the washer bottle and brake master cyl. & resev. and some insulation for the lines

Turbo Oil & Water feeds
The Oil feed will be acheived using a M14x1.5 thread T-peice which goes into the oil pressure switch hole. off this T will be 1. The OEM switch, 2. The banjo bolt for the oil feed. I'll get a hose made up with an M14 banjo at each end which will go straight onto the turbo. For the oil drain I'll use the existing flanged tube, cut down and flare the end. Slide and clamp some tubing over which will go down to the fitting which will be welded into the top of the spare sump John's lent me. The water feed and drain - I'll use the existing hard lines, clamp on hoses and connect to the existing cooling system, although I'm looking into a universal ali radiator at the min. I'll also be using an oil filter relocation kit which I already have. I'll get a thermostatic sandwich plate to run the cooler i have too.

Intercooler and induction
A foam/cone air filter will sit behind the headlight in OEM position, maybe with some air ducting towards it through the wing or something. Then the AMM and PTC valve (which vapourises condensed water in the induction system apparently). I'll get a 'grille sized' intercooler from ebay or something, and make up some steel pipework (sprayed black for OEM look) and silicone joiners. I'll probably replace most of the hoses in the PCV system etc. with silicone too. The IC I'll try and mount in the grille with the oil cooler towards the bottom of the radiator. A boost guage is also going to go in the dash somewhere. I may take your advice and use a actuator off a FK to start with just in case. oh and I'll be using the FT intake manifold

Flywheel + Clutch
I'm going to get a new 940/740 clutch with the largest camping force i can find and use the 360 disk. Not looked much into this yet. The fly will swap straight over being the 'dog dish' type and I'll change the spigot bearing and possibly crankshaft oil seal depending on how much of a fuck on it is. John's lent me a 360 bellhousing to be cut for the CPS

Wiring loom
I'm going to have the loom enter the bay at one side rather than the 940's 2 sides. This will mean stripping out the 53-pin plugs and soldering the wires together. It's a fair few wires to come through and also the CPS, O2S, Knock Sensor cables which are shielded. Thinking of running the shielded wires through separately, then the rest through some mad 40 pin sealed connector. The 8-pin connectors will probably be re-arranged as I've cut some wires out already or may just sack them off competely. The ECU's will probably live in the same place as on the 360. I need to get a fusebox for the 3 fuses and a relay mount for the one relay - to be mounted somewhere in the car. The wires I need to tap into for the 360 are the starter exciter wire, alternator d+ wire, tacho feed wire and fuel pump wire. I also want to run a load of temperature sensors all over eg. air filter, pre-IC, post-IC, intake mani, pre oil cooler, post oil cooler ... Which will all go into the Arduino I was going to use for telemetry. I'll get a display to show me what temp everything is - some very useful, some just for interest. Datalogging too and I'll see what else can be hooked up :D Oil pressure springs to mind as being rather useful! and maybe the wideband

Fueling
Not decided which rail I'll use yet, depends on if the Fuel pressure regulator mount is the same. Cant see it making a difference to be fair, just the 360 one has a cold start injector take off. The 940 injectors will be used and probably an upgraded fuel pump - calibra or similar. Probably run all new lines at the same time, Need to drop the tank to do some welding near the filler pipe anyway. Radio interference relay and balast resistor will probably be mounted down towards the battery as per the 940 loom

Ignition system
Spark plugs - 940 type, b19e king lead, 360 dizzy + rotor arm (which I've just replaced for about £10) and 360 leads. The 940 came with cool little heatsheilds for the plug leads which bolt onto the exhaust mani, they'll go on too. Power amplifier mounted as per the 940 loom dictates next to the ballast resistor, Diagnostics sockets and Radio interference relay on the N/Sinner wing

I think that's it :D I've probably missed a load of things but it's helped me to get my ideas together by typing it all out. Hopefully if i'm making a mistake someone can point it out. I'll post a load of pictures up of the engine being pulled and any progres i make with anything next time. Any help and advice is seriously appreciated

Thanks for looking,
Matt
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 29 Jul 2013 10:23 pm

All sounds very sensible to me! I'm sure the B200E will cope absolutely fine. Ali did a B200E+T back in the day, admittedly using Megasquirt which will give added flexibility over LH but the old engine with 100k had never ran so good after the swap! IIRC he ran 10psi on that and it was all good, went rather nicely too. Fuel economy went up too...
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 05 Aug 2013 11:45 am

That sounds very good to me, my main concern is the added CR.

Anyway, here's some photo's of when we pulled the red block from the red brick

Bellhousing differences

So far I haven't made an awful lot of progress, been really busy and really skint.
Have got the stuff for turbo water lines on order, m12x1.5 banjo's, some pipe and t-piece from the radiator hoses. The oil drain is also being worked out, need to speak to atchi again now i have measured stuff. Found a company to make me the oil feed pipe. I got a cheapo second hand intercooler off ebay. Thought there wasn't a chance it was going to be anywhere near fitting as i pulled it out the box...

If i enlarge the hole at the N/S by about 10mm, both tubes fit straight through. It's rather big so might affect lag, also its not in the grille space, rather down the bottom so some of the bumper might have to be chopped out. It came with a load of samco tubing too. I think I actually have all the tubing i need now :)

I'm managine to buy all the little things at the moment and work on getting the 900 sized loom down to a 300 sized loom. The big expense is going to be the clutch - any ideas on which one?

Back to the actual 300, My radiator still leaks, been to 2 places who couldn't do it so settled for a DIY attempt with a tube of instant gasket which hasn't worked lol
Last night I found a driveshaft had worked its way loose at the diff end and shot it's grease all over the underside of the car and my diff has developed a leak. So before i drive it again I've got to check all the driveshaft bolts, fill one CV with grease, check the diff and gearbox oil and top up if neccecary. The gearbox is making noise, as is the release bearing, I'll try adjusting the clutch a bit. I'm also getting resistance from the gearbox/diff, i.e. put it in first, hold the clutch down and try and push the car, you get resistance at one point per rotation of something. Not sure if its the diff or the box. Could be usual torsen diff behavior? could possible be the loose driveshaft?

I also bent the front bumper back out a bit and tinted the yellow plastic over the foglights when we got bored with a roll of cheapo tinting film. Changed the dizzy cap but euro car parts gave me the wrong rotor arm and couldn't do the leads :/ Still not entirely fixed the misfire / refusal to start from time to time. Also changed the fuel filter.

Something feels loose in teh front suspension - i've checked everything but still don't know what it is, not checked anything at the topmount end. Will fit the now complete coilovers and rx7 brakes when Adam posts them to me - has been a while :roll:
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 07 Aug 2013 03:35 am

Large IC increasing lag is BS. You'll be fine.

I have been involved in putting a 10:1 B200E (from a 740) into a 940 B200FT after the original engine shat itself, and it worked AOK. Ideally you want the turbo block, and I would advocate that...but under the circumstances, the 200E will be ok on LH, provided the boost is kept down. To be fair, you'll get earlier spool and more bang-per-psi anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'd be happy to go to 20+ PSI at 10:1 compression with programmable management, but I would play it safe with LH. It's a lot smarter than LE (the MAF vs AFM really does make a huge difference), but you're still asking it to do something it's not set up to do.

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 10 Aug 2013 08:30 am

That it is reasuring, my main concern is if 7psi and the 10:1 ratio were incompatible regardless of management and i'd just get pre-ignition or the heat would melt the engine lol

Monday I'm off to Scotland, camping up at Ben Nevis. It's a canny long trip so thought I'd give the car a check over. When checking the front front suspension I found the top spring cups were knackered, One wasn't too bad, the other - so badly gone the topmount was sticking through the spring cup. There was also a shock which had decided to spew oil everywhere.
The only way to sort it was to fit my coilovers, which I'd been hoping to leave until I got the RX7 brake brackets off Adam which still havn't arrived yet :roll:
While fitting the coilovers I noticed more problems, The ARB link pins - Dai's poly ones, the middle tube had rusted solid onto the pin / bolt in the middle. I wasn't removing the pin so didn't bother trying to fix it. I'm sure i coated the centre of the pin / bolt in grease to stop that happening. Next was that the bottom balljoints were fucked, not entirely surprising as they weren't top quality ones when new. Unfortunately my local parts places couldn't get me any, had to settle with a 'first line' one which seems shit quality, the bolts which come with it - one's too short, and a QH one which looks a load better. I did wonder why, when going to a parts place and asking for a pair of balljoints I get 2 different brands :?

Anyway fitted the coilovers and, at the moment, one bottom balljoint - doing the other today. Its on spherical bearing topmounts, 250lb/in springs and gabriel gas shocks - Feels great to drive. Must have miscalculated the spring lengths, on the lowest setting the car sits how it did one -40mm springs :/ that's on 6" springs and 4" helpers so for the future 3" springs and 2x 4" helpers maybe. Should really have welded the threaded collars on lower but at the time I was on ATS cups and didn't think the spring would clear the wheels

Also found one of my adjustable dampers at the rear seemed rather covered in oil, i'd been getting funny noises on bumps from that corner too. so as a TEMPORARY fix i've fitted a pair of discovery front dampers in which fit as perfect at defender ones :D

Gearbox and diff oil are low and need topping up but bar that she's good to go :D
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 17 Aug 2013 03:37 pm

Just got back from the 550 mile round trip to Fort William in Scotland where we Climbed Ben Nevis, the biggest mountain in the UK :D

Before going i needed to change the front struts for my Coilovers as this happened:
O/S:
N/S:

Not good.

So coilovers and spherical bearing topmounts to go on then...

Oh and these Disco Shocks as my adjustables are knackered completely

Also had replaced the driveshaft can't remember if I'd said

Leafs were going to be doubled but didn't have time, here's the set in the shed with polybushes installed

It's not all gone smoothly - One coilover seems to have more room inside it as the other, this means the damper doesn't wedge in and has about 10mm play :/ needs something wedging in, some rubber tap washers might help. Also my springs are too long (or i got the collar welded to high lol) 6" 250lb/in springs and 4" 4lb/in helpers, gives the 10" damper travel but car sits at same height on the lowest setting. Might chop a few coils off the springs.

The landie dampers are actually pretty good, I'm impressed really thought they would be terrible, maybe the disco ones are slightly softer? The steering rack seems to have a fair bit of play, dunno why. the O/S track rod creaks when moved by hand by holding the track rod end. it seems you have to turn the wheel a cirtain amount from central before the steering takes effect, this could possibly be due to the tracking being out, the n/s wheel toes out. Top mounts are noce on teh other hand, really effortless to turn the strut compared to what I had before although they were a bit past their best.

Drive train's my main concern, Constant vibration through the car, power feels 'pulsed' from time to time. Release bearing is REALLY making a noise, as is something at the back either box or diff but both oil levels are fine. Thinking of getting a complete gearbox &diff that's never been split for the turbo conversion and swap the LSD into it.

The turbo conversion is coming along very slowly, going to start chopping the loom up to make it fit the 300 a bit better, make a fusebox etc.

Anyway, here's some photo's from my trip to scotland, excuse the rally style mudflaps :oops: they ain't staying it was just for this trip

Border

A85

A85

A82

A9 Sterling services :D

Thanks for looking,
Matt
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'86 340 DL 1.4