The LOLvo - 3/3/14

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
Turbosled

The LOLvo - 3/3/14

Post by Turbosled » 20 Feb 2014 09:08 am

Volvo 340 shell
Koni adjustables
Fully pollybushed
Custom prop
Welded diff
Honda prelude 4 puck clutch
Laguna 215 mm lightened flywheel
Techniclutch custom pressure plate
Volvo 440 turbo 1.7 lump bored and stroked to about 2.0
Heavily worked head
Renault internals
360 roller bearing turbo
Front mount hidden behind hole sawed bumper
Cossie brown injectors
Vauxhall calibre throttle body
Omex 500 ecu with hard cut rev limiter
Blitz ESBC boost controller
Scooby fuel pump
Boost gauge and inlet temp hidden in the dash
AFR display integrated into the dash
13" x 8 banded steels
350mm suade dished steering wheel and boss

Apparently running 220bhp on low boost (a dyno session soon to confirm this and hopefully tweak the map slightly)

This was built by ian ball ay power engineering, so has all been done properly and should last well!

Shell is solid with just a few bubbles here and there

Was flat as hell and pink when i picked it up, and the alternator died on way home. Whilst waiting on delivery of the new alternator i gave it a freshen up

Lots of bits been ordered over the past few weeks (thanks dai), just need to find the time to fit them all and get it back out to play :)
Last edited by Turbosled on 03 Mar 2014 09:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turbosled

Re: The LOLvo

Post by Turbosled » 20 Feb 2014 09:10 am

She's off the road now for the winter, picked up a golf estate for daily duties the other day

Also, have now got these.........

And this........

Turbosled

Post by Turbosled » 20 Feb 2014 09:14 am

Last night I did this...........

Uncovered a few shit bodges that need sorting, also, the 4 paddle needs a re-plate and the pressure plate is shit too. Caught it just before it lunched the flywheel. Result!

I jet washed it all this morning ready for a strip down Monday. Whilst it was in the air I took a load of pictures and measurements of the exhaust so I can start ordering the stainless straights and bends for the system

Turbosled

Post by Turbosled » 20 Feb 2014 09:16 am

Found a couple of hours last night to get started on the car.

The front panel was looking pretty sorry for itself in the lower section, i gave it a grind back, welded where it needed it, etch primered the clean bare metal and stine chipped it to keep the weather out until i get some paint.

I also had a poke around the floor and rear of the car as i know it needs some attention. The drivers floor pan is a bit bad and there is a hole above the exhaust in the chassis rail that needs sorting too, but thankfully nothing major was found :)

I swapped over to the new steering wheel too, much less clumsy than the standard shite lol

I have also taken delivery of all the bits needed to move the battery to the boot, rear shocks and twin fans for the radiator.

Oh and may of accidentally purchased these too.........

Renault turbines, in pretty damn good nick too with good tyres. Ill get them re-cut and lacquered at some point but they are fine as is for now.

Next week im gonna start stripping the crank out to sort an oil leak, finish the welding, get it undersealed and trial fit the wheels.

Turbosled

Post by Turbosled » 20 Feb 2014 09:17 am

Did some more tonight and a massive weight off my shoulders

The oil pump drive seemed to be adrift as there was oil around that area and the cambelt kept moving off the back of the pulley when it was running

First of all i have spent weeks trying to track down a new pump, with no success at all.

I bit the bullet and called renault today and as i expected they said it was £361 +VAT for a new pump. In true lethal bizzle high wycombe cru style i said "leeeeaaaavvveeee iiiiiitttt yeah!" And hung up :blub:

I decided to whip the belt off after work and see what the actual issue was. I cut the belt off being lazy and straight away found there to be almost an inch of play in the pump drive :shock:

I undid the pulley nut and the pump cover bolts, only to find that the 2 bolts for the thrust washer style flange that held the drive in place, were completly undone and were only held in place by the cover plate

Im sure we can all imagine what would of happened if those bolts came out and the drive fell off :blub: :blub: :blub:

I found a perfect sized cam seal and popped that in the cover, removed, cleaned and thread locked the bolts and did them up FT. Re-fitted the cover and the pulley

Thankfully this has solved my possible "hybrid" :blub: crank seal issue which is where i first thought the oil was coming from. Meaning no engine strip down to sort it out. All i need now is to get the manifold sorted and the clutch re-plated, give the block a quick paint and it can all go back in so i can get cracking on a decent exhaust set up.

Turbosled

Post by Turbosled » 20 Feb 2014 09:19 am

When i took ownership of the car, zak proceeded to tell me the history of the engine build, and how ian made the 2.0 laguna crank fit into the 1700 renault block.

It went something like this.......

The block has been ground out and the rod caps have also been ground, so the crank will actually turn without the webbing of the crank and rod caps hitting the sides. Notice balanced and polished crank too :)

I kept telling myself i didnt wanna take the sump off and have a look but curiosity got the better off me this morning so i whipped it off. Also, it gave me a chance to inspect the oil pick-up strainer incase of any silicon or swarf. All was good in the hood. No issues at all :D

Turbosled

Post by Turbosled » 20 Feb 2014 09:22 am

So all the bits are under and in my toolbox ready to be fitted as soon as I get the time to do so.

Had the clutch re-plated, the cover refurbed and the flywheel skimmed, new release bearing

3" lowering blocks for the rear (will chop a coil off front springs for now), poly engine and gearbox mounts, modded tie-rod ends for extra lock, new spigot bearing, oil filter and some gaskets.

Need to whip the front carpet and seats out so I can bolt the hydro handbrake alongside the original handbrake, and plumb it in

Zak kindly said he would sort out a few issues with the engine at the meet last week, but true shitluck style it all went wrong. The gas ran out on whilst Zak was welding the head, then the manifold had a shit fit when that was welded also. Work has taken up all my time of late so I dropped the engine off to a friends neighbour who is gonna sort it all and call me when it's done. He's a rifle maker, so I'm sure it will be mint.

A set of 8j minilights came up at a price I couldn't refuse the other day, they had been refurbed but never fitted.

Quick trip to Bristol yesterday to pick them up and went into work this morning for a quick trial fit.

I was certain they we're gonna poke a bit more, which would then allow me to stick some arches on it, but they don't :blub:

They fit exactly the same as the banded steels on there at the moment, which I'm happy with. Gonna drop them off to ash later tonight to paint the centres black, then I'll stick on some 175/50's. Will keep the old steels for skidding and probably sell the turbines for the right price.

I also fitted the harness's and robbed a clk at work of its battery tray and moved mine to the boot (which I forgot to get a pic of, like a bellend)

On the lookout for some buckets, the original seats are so comfortable but you fall out at the slightest skid :blub:

Engine will be back middle of next week, then it's just a case of bolting it back in and throwing and exhaust together

:auto-layrubber:

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 20 Feb 2014 12:04 pm

Good to see this car back on the forum, looks like you are putting in the effort to continue improving the build too :D
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

Turbosled

Post by Turbosled » 20 Feb 2014 01:17 pm

Cheers mate

ian did an awesome job of building the car, but clearly got a bit lazy when it came to tidying up and finishing the car off.

Cant wait to get it all back together and road legal, such a funny car to drive!

Apologies if the thread is a bit all over the place, it was a copy/paste from shitboxracing.co.uk where i seem to frequent the most.

Steve

Mcglone7

Post by Mcglone7 » 20 Feb 2014 09:25 pm

Great looking car there mate!

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 20 Feb 2014 10:04 pm

Good to see this car still going as such.

A lot of the build was done a long time ago so no supprise it needs some sorting.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

thododd

Post by thododd » 20 Feb 2014 11:14 pm

That looks like plenty of fun. Itll be interested to know what power its actually making, hows the running gear cope with it?
Itd look awesome on the turbines 8)

Turbosled

Post by Turbosled » 21 Feb 2014 02:10 pm

Cheers guys :)

So last night i went on a mission to letchworth for these, i kept eyeing up fancy seats, but these came up at a decent price and are brand new, never fitted. Its only gonna end up on its roof on fire anyway so cheap is good :blub:

Iv got the whole afternoon tomorrow to start getting some of these bits fitted!

Ash has got the wheels for paint, so they should be back very soon :)heers guys :)

The turbines may well be up for sale soon if they dont fit as well as the minilights.

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 21 Feb 2014 09:17 pm

It does have a steel prop by reco prop
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

Turbosled