50 shades of grey - '87 GLT

For drift/rally/builds cars projects, engine conversions etc...
Describe your plans, project(s) evolution, works progress and final result!
thododd

50 shades of grey - '87 GLT

Post by thododd » 15 Feb 2014 06:10 pm

Well, this week the old girl went back on the road for the time in 6 and half years. The 07/14 tax disk was placed in front of the 09/07(!!) One and off she went. She had a few bulb related fails but that was all rectified and with a couple mechanical fixes the retest was fine.

She was purchased in October for basically scrap money due to the poor ebay listing and having seen all 4 arches are spotless and its had new rear quarters grafted in at some point in it life, I decided id use it daily and resign the 3dr vario. So life got I the way until Christmas and I finally got round to sorting her out.

I replaced a lot of the braking system; master cylinder, rear wheel cylinders, most of the hardlines replaced with copper and new pads and shoes. The exhaust was missing when I got it so a cheap new middle section and bodged carbon bike backbox were cobbled together as a temp fix.

Today I got bored so put a new face on her
From this:
To this:

As well as swap the heater blower and resistor pack for the working one in the vario, refit the fuel filler neck bits to seal it from leaking and swap a tidier set of rear light clusters... been quite productive today
Last edited by thododd on 16 Feb 2014 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

thododd

Re: 50 shades of grey - '87 GLT

Post by thododd » 15 Feb 2014 08:43 pm

And heres a pic of the cleaned, black bowl headlights I put on her

The interior was vac'd and cleaned today but it got rather dark by the time I finished. Once dark arrived, I set the headlights up and call it a day. Well earned beer and fajitas await :D

thododd

Post by thododd » 16 Feb 2014 04:45 pm

What a lovely day it is. No good for a poor photographer like me, but have some pica anyway

The interior looks great for its age, but my halfarsed vacuuming in the dark wasnt a great job

I forgot how practical a car of this size is after years of citroen ax's

The old headlights look dreadful

And a burnt out heater blower resistor pack
Despite the vario being older, with more miles, its spares have been in much better condition than some of the glt bits
Theres a bit of rot at the bottom of the glts tailgate, the varios is mint... so it may have a few more parts to give yet :D

thododd

Post by thododd » 16 Feb 2014 04:46 pm

?!? Why are the photobucket links losing the right hand side of the image?!?!? :? :evil:

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 16 Feb 2014 06:54 pm

Put it in the bugs thread for Aymat to sort out. Think the resize script is not active.
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 17 Feb 2014 11:54 am

Hi mate.
Great looking motor mate. The new face is better looking than the old one :D :D :D
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69

thododd

Post by thododd » 17 Feb 2014 01:47 pm

Thanks mark, externally shes quite rough, the paint is a right mess and theres a little blister here and there but ill get that sorted steadily. Im not great with bodywork so this will be a bit of a learning curve. It needs a new drivers door, the osr door only opens when it wants, the boot wont even latch let alone lock and the window motors are soooo slow

Mechanically shes fine which is what concerns me most :D

thododd

Post by thododd » 24 Feb 2014 10:42 am

Well ... the bugger died this morning. Started fine and while driving down the m5 my fuel and temp gauges went to zero and my lights faded .... damn battery/alt/belts. So I called a colleague to meet me with a jump start pack and she happily fired up. About 2 miles down the road it started hhappening again (aaarrggh!!) ... until it didnt?!? All the clocks came back, the lights brightened and off she went, performing as normal for the last 3 miles.

Guess I need to pick my belts up from UPS and get them fitted :D they missed delivery on Friday and I couldnt get them over the weekend

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 24 Feb 2014 04:56 pm

thododd wrote:it started hhappening again (aaarrggh!!) ... until it didnt?!? All the clocks came back, the lights brightened and off she went, performing as normal for the last 3 miles.
Corrosion of terminal(s) in brown multiplug into back of the fusebox?

http://forum.volvo300club.nl/showpost.p ... ostcount=2

That's where I'd look first for an intermittent issue like that.
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

thododd

Post by thododd » 24 Feb 2014 06:16 pm

Thanks, ill investigate up behind the dash this evening. T'would be noce if it were so simple.

thododd

Post by thododd » 24 Feb 2014 10:04 pm

She made it home without issue. Theres now a jumpstart pack and a fully charged spare battery in the boot ... just in case :D
Had a poke under the dashboard and inspected the 3 main plugs going into the back of the fuse box and theyre super clean. Ive also double checked earths for dubious connections.
So we'll go with some new belts for now ... if UPS can find them. I enquired at the collection point on the way home and they had no recollection of my parcel :?

thododd

Post by thododd » 06 Mar 2014 05:31 pm

Nothing interesting, just gathering some service bits

Got the oil (haynes seems to think the b200 will take just about anything), filter, fuel filter, rotor arm, dizzy cap, spark plugs, thermostat and a reconditioned alternator (ive replaced the aux belts after the breakdown and she still not charging very well). A new water pump and HT leads are on their way too. Theres also some engine and rad flush in the shed for when i change the fluids

Im gonna try move some stuff around in the engine bay and fit my carbon airbox in there (cos im a child like that :P). Also, i found something the old vario had that the glt doesnt. So when im happy with the electrical system ill fit the under dash speakers and some 80s style boxed parcel shelf jobbies

All thats left after ive administered the above items is a cambelt change, of which i see Dai supplies for a very reasonable sum. Does anyone know where to find a tensioner for the cambelt? Then my engine might be happy so i can move on to more interesting jobs on the car

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 07 Mar 2014 12:19 am

Have you lost the tensioner?

In 30+ years I have never changed a redblock tensioner
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

thododd

Post by thododd » 07 Mar 2014 12:40 am

Furry muff.

Tensioner is all present. Im just used to changing them i guess (blame quality PSA stuff :) )

thododd

Post by thododd » 23 Mar 2014 07:44 pm

I started moving some stuff around. To make space in the engine bay i started by sticking the battery in the boot on a tray i knocked up.
While i was playing in the boot i started chipping off the sound deadening, then i couldnt stop and did everything under the boot carpet and rear bench. Ive left the panels out so i can get in with a wire wheel and start stitch welding the seams amd measure up for a rear strut brace.... and some rear dampers are due in the post this week.

Now i had a little bit of space in the engine bay so i cut the amm bracket and remounted it somewhere where i could put the CDA on the end.
The fuel filter was relocated using the original bracket mounted on the chassis rail and the piping trimmed to suit

the ignition stuff has been done but the cambelt, alt, pump etc are still sat in the shed.

If anybody knows someone selling a single Renault 19 16v alloy let me know. I bought these a while ago and the courier company lost 1, i got a refund of sorts but i was so annoyed i just ended up packing them away and forgetting about them until the rear glt alloys needed tyres last week. I stuck a pair of the 'turbines' on the back and i really like them but cant find a single to finish the set