Page 8 of 13

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 10:36 am
by Nick C
I think some people on here need to learn that we're not all quite as obsessed by 300s as they are! It is possible to like more than one make of car....:wink: (or in Chris' case, one particular variant of a model of car....:P)

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 10:40 am
by Chris_C
Git... they are all as bad as me!!! And I like at least 3 models. of car that are non 300 ;)

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 11:42 am
by SteveP
redline wrote:lets face it ,the 300 ,lovely as it is isn't the best looking, the fastest ,or most reliable car in the world.
( and I certainly wouldent make £300.00 - £400.00 a time selling them on )

its only real redeeming factors are its rwd, its cheap its quirkyness and charecter .
And the fact that 300s > Golfs... and the humiliation of the Golf owner that a GLT can keep up with their barried up 8v GTI... :D Hell, I don't think anyone other than VW can get a massive 75bhp out of a 1.6 either :lol:

Ofcourse we like other cars here, but I didn't start posting pictures of my 405 when I stepped over to the darkside (briefly) ;)

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 12:01 pm
by redline
SteveP wrote: Ofcourse we like other cars here, but I didn't start posting pictures of my 405 when I stepped over to the darkside (briefly) ;)
thats called self preservation Steve

iirc we havent seen any pictures of Hughs Mondeo either

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 12:14 pm
by SteveP
redline wrote:
SteveP wrote: Ofcourse we like other cars here, but I didn't start posting pictures of my 405 when I stepped over to the darkside (briefly) ;)
thats called self preservation Steve
oooh.. i got pwned :lol:

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 12:22 pm
by germ
No problem mick

but i dont know if its becouse ive lived in france for too long or what ever but i cant tell if you guys are joking or digging.

so my view is that we should drop this and if theres somthing you dont want to see you dont look, the threads are labeled so there is no problem

and if its in the right place (general discusions) then every 1 has the right to post about themselves interests etc.

its all a bit childish :roll: (catch the irony)

BE KIND TO EACH OTHER AND KEEP THIS FORUM A SPECIAL PLACE!
and have fun :P

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 01:04 pm
by d3k4y0
redline wrote:
SteveP wrote: Ofcourse we like other cars here, but I didn't start posting pictures of my 405 when I stepped over to the darkside (briefly) ;)
thats called self preservation Steve
Nah, it was because it was beige!
;)

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 01:09 pm
by SteveP
Atleast it wasn't pink... cmon you asked for that...

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 01:57 pm
by Nick C
germ wrote:but i dont know if its becouse ive lived in france for too long or what ever but i cant tell if you guys are joking or digging.
Don't worry, 90% of the stuff posted on here is meant in jest. Including half the technical advice :wink: :shock:

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 03:09 pm
by V6 Man
redline wrote:
sorry if talking about other cars (or my jokes )has offended anyone here ,

certainly wasn't intended ,

the simple answer is if someone starts a thread your not interested in

DONT OPEN IT
Sound advice, but there are some threads that shouldn't be posted in my opinion. We have to draw a line somewhere between what is suitable and what isn't suitable for a forum biased towards a family car. Sexually explicit material is obviously not suitable, jokes are. The grey area is the one inbetween - at which point does a joke become sexually explict? I felt that many posted were and as such called for the thread to be deleted. The Mod team obviously agreed with me to some extent and decided to lock the thread rather than delete it.
redline wrote:the joke thread was clearly marked over 18
True, and thanks for marking it so, but this doesn't neccessarily mean that under 18's will not see it. As said above above I don't believe such threads have a place here.
redline wrote:I have (due to comments made on the joke thread) deleted all of my rude jokes and Vickys
Thankyou.
redline wrote:Its funny that nobody objected until Vicky posted her jokes lol
Yes, it does seem that way, but believe me it was a coincidence. I had already raised the matter of the thread with some of the mods before Vicky had posted.
redline wrote:as far as talking about other cars than 300's is concerned

where do's it end ,

Stavros has recently posted pictures of his gorgeous cossie and his other cars

Carl often talks about his BX's

Pete even mentions his bedford midivan now and again

and like me Rupert dosen't even have a 300 anymore
I personally have no problem with threads about other cars. I'll open and read them if they seem appealing, I'll ignore them if they don't. My comment was, like many others, a light hearted comment and I aplogise if you took it any other way. Peraps the use of a smilie would have been appropriate?
At a guess I'd say the difference here is that whilst 1stRaven, Chesh, Griz, myself and others no longer have, or have never had 300's, we don't constantly post up about what we do have. We respect that the board is about Volvo 300's and will thus either post in the social side of things or about the few technical points anout 300's that we can remember from our ownership. This maybe (?) why some have a problem with your Golf threads, but you'd have to ask them about that. Like I said I ignore threads that don't appeal.
redline wrote:I have already offered to hand over my moderatorship when I sold the Redline.
That's an issue to be decided by the rest of the Mod team and the Admins, not for us mere mortals so I can't comment.
redline wrote:I have made a lot of friends ( and I know who they are )here and have no wish to leave them behind because I no longer own a 300 ,

I think this forum in many ways has grown beyond just the car itself.


this forum has always been about daring to be different long may it stay that way.
Hear hear!

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 10:42 pm
by MJ
Well, where did this all come from ;)

I think all of the points have been mentioned. This is a family forum about 300's.

Having said that, we're also a group of friends who like jokes and other cars, so we need to allow this.

It's just a question of balance, which I think we manage to maintain most of the time. Viva la V3M! :D

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 01:33 am
by Ronnie
Maybe we just need an extra forum for "Other Marques" to keep grumpy old b******s like me happy... Lots of other car clubs feature this.

As for the jokes - the Chas and Dave one had the missus and I laughing til we cried.

Peace out

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 01:56 am
by foggyjames
We could probably use an 'Off Topic' forum, to be honest. Posts about other cars, random events, and the (reasonable repeatable!) jokes would sit just fine in there. Ayyyyyyyymaaaaatttt!

You're quite right that it wasn't until after Vicky posted her jokes that the thread got nuked. I certainly wasn't wishing to have a go at anyone in particular - if it comes down to it, there are things I say regularly on here which I wouldn't like some people who know about the site to read.

cheers

James

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 02:06 am
by germ
start a clean slate and forget about earlier stuff
somone write somthing meaningful at the end of this thread lock it and then we will have it to remind our selfs of this silly stuff and hopfully it wont happen again. :wink:

Cheers
will

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 02:14 am
by foggyjames
But this thread is supposed to be about Golfs...can't be having something smug about them as the last comment ;)

cheers

James