Serious, I have lots of forehead punching moments in my lifevolvosneverdie wrote:Grindy grindy,Speedy88 wrote:Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups. I most deffinatly did not assume that all that oil that came out from removing the box was just from the gearbox and I most deffinatly did NOT think "sod it, I'll replace my diff fluid next week". There deffinatly was oil in my diff when I came to replacing it today. Honest.
frowny frowny.
Speedy88's Thirteen:...
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
-
volvosneverdie
- *** V3M DONOR ***
- Posts: 9143
- Joined: 11 Nov 2008 04:22 pm
- Location: Newcastle Upon Toon
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
I heard that dude.Speedy88 wrote:
Serious, I have lots of forehead punching moments in my life
Mistakes are the best, and most effective way to learn.
Nobody ever puts their hand in a fire twice.
Shame its sometimes so expensive though eh?
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
Hell a year ago I didn't even know what a B172 was, I've always known simple things but this past year has been amazing really the amount I've learned. Meh, car mistakes don't stress me too much, it's pretty much the only thing I spend money on. I would enjoy owning a nice vario for when I do fuck it up badly though... Panicking at 4pm because I need the car for work at 6 isn't good.
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
Holy boring update batman! V5C returned to me today with new engine number
Woot, 100% legal car now.
Progress is slow as I'm building a game currently for my dissertation. However, I now have a mig welder and angle grinder which is perfect for the massive sill rot that has appeared this year.
These will be used somewhere, can anyone guess?

Progress is slow as I'm building a game currently for my dissertation. However, I now have a mig welder and angle grinder which is perfect for the massive sill rot that has appeared this year.
These will be used somewhere, can anyone guess?

-
volvosneverdie
- *** V3M DONOR ***
- Posts: 9143
- Joined: 11 Nov 2008 04:22 pm
- Location: Newcastle Upon Toon
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
Well if the pimps are in the crib man,
you could drop it like its hot,
drop it like its hot.
drop it like its hot.
Dont know any other uses for bolts.

you could drop it like its hot,
drop it like its hot.
drop it like its hot.
Dont know any other uses for bolts.
- 340GLT
- *** V3M DONOR ***
- Posts: 3657
- Joined: 31 Mar 2005 09:01 pm
- Location: Shropshire & Swansea, UK
- Contact:
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
Double leaf springs!!!
Adam
Adam
F559 LFE - 340R 2.0 16v
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
Cheat!
I joined my local car club tonight too, a few slaloms should be up later this month. Which would make this the second motorsport daily valver. See kids, it's very possible. Every one of them said "that's... different" when I told them what I had
Getting it scrutineered this weekend just so I know if anything is going to be an issue.
I joined my local car club tonight too, a few slaloms should be up later this month. Which would make this the second motorsport daily valver. See kids, it's very possible. Every one of them said "that's... different" when I told them what I had
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
Oooooh, is there some BDCC slaloms coming up?
Race ya fo slips y0
Really pleased you are getting involved mate, I think you'll really really enjoy it. Just mind out if it's on Matchams banger track again
Race ya fo slips y0
Really pleased you are getting involved mate, I think you'll really really enjoy it. Just mind out if it's on Matchams banger track again
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
Holy exhaust failure batman! I tried to weld up my holey exhaust over the past couple of days. All was going well considering this is the first time welding ever:

I mad some other cuts and welded them back (not exactly air tight but close enough for me). Put it all back and fired her up... BWAAAAARP. Shit. Exhaust is pouring out of the manifold/downpipe join!
Meh, I give up. Let the professionals do it on monday. I hope that the manifold is long enough not to cause any engine damage, I've got to do a few miles on this crappy exhaust yet.

I mad some other cuts and welded them back (not exactly air tight but close enough for me). Put it all back and fired her up... BWAAAAARP. Shit. Exhaust is pouring out of the manifold/downpipe join!
Meh, I give up. Let the professionals do it on monday. I hope that the manifold is long enough not to cause any engine damage, I've got to do a few miles on this crappy exhaust yet.
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
Christ, was gonna say thats some right pigeon shit welding, the realised it was the pavement!
HAHA.
HAHA.

- 340GLT
- *** V3M DONOR ***
- Posts: 3657
- Joined: 31 Mar 2005 09:01 pm
- Location: Shropshire & Swansea, UK
- Contact:
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
What part of the exhaust have you welded? Please tell me it's not the downpipe?
Adam
Adam
F559 LFE - 340R 2.0 16v
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
Also, is that patched with stainless? What gas are you using?
Edit: I only ask as I'm relatively new to welding myself, and not sure what gas would be best to use or even if it's possible to weld stainless to non-stainless!
Edit: I only ask as I'm relatively new to welding myself, and not sure what gas would be best to use or even if it's possible to weld stainless to non-stainless!
Last edited by tommysb on 18 Apr 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
volvosneverdie
- *** V3M DONOR ***
- Posts: 9143
- Joined: 11 Nov 2008 04:22 pm
- Location: Newcastle Upon Toon
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
This is all sounding a bit ominous.
If poor speedys done a bad wrongness, can someone explain to me what it is?
If poor speedys done a bad wrongness, can someone explain to me what it is?
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
Nothing, its part of the middle section, I wouldn't touch the stainless as it wouldn't rust
Plus you'd have to be REALLY stupid to butcher a custom made downpipe.
It's mild steel fresh from the presses which is why it looks like stainless although I'm trying to weld it to exhaust steel which has a zinc alloy. The actual patches turned out good but the joins I had to make didn't... and eventually fell off. Need a new one anyway. Currently it sounds awesome but way too loud.
It's mild steel fresh from the presses which is why it looks like stainless although I'm trying to weld it to exhaust steel which has a zinc alloy. The actual patches turned out good but the joins I had to make didn't... and eventually fell off. Need a new one anyway. Currently it sounds awesome but way too loud.
Last edited by Speedy88 on 18 Apr 2010 01:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Speedy88's The Tardis: Got any gear?
Using CO2 I think. Just filled it at my local welding place.tommysb wrote:Also, is that patched with stainless? What gas are you using?
Edit: I only ask as I'm relatively new to welding myself, and not sure what gas would be best to use or even if it's possible to weld stainless to non-stainless!
