Page 1 of 1
Lock removal petrol cap
Posted: 07 Mar 2016 07:49 pm
by Ride_on
Does anyone know how to remove the lock from the petrol cap? I want to recode the lock.

- IMG_20160307_184322.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 48450 times
Re: Lock removal petrol cap
Posted: 08 Mar 2016 12:55 am
by bogbasic
MAC does - he did one for me a few weeks ago.
Re: Lock removal petrol cap
Posted: 12 Mar 2016 06:42 pm
by benji1985
i would love to know how to do this, just mainly for the knowledge
Ben
Re: Lock removal petrol cap
Posted: 14 Mar 2016 12:24 pm
by trabitom99
Ah yes, this would be some very interesting info for me too

Have a nice metallic green petrol cap for my GLT ... with the wrong lock on it.
Cheers
Tom
Re: Lock removal petrol cap
Posted: 14 Mar 2016 08:06 pm
by Ride_on
Apparently Mac only knows how to do the early ones not single key lock system. I may have to perfom butchery.
Re: Lock removal petrol cap
Posted: 15 Mar 2016 03:23 pm
by Ride_on
Ah success! the back pops out (near the O-ring) and reveals all (it kind of explodes with springs and bits), will post some photos soon.
Re: Lock removal petrol cap
Posted: 16 Mar 2016 02:20 am
by Ride_on
Re: Lock removal petrol cap
Posted: 16 Mar 2016 10:15 am
by benji1985
That's great, thank you
Ben
Re: Lock removal petrol cap
Posted: 17 Mar 2016 03:35 pm
by Chris_C
That is a stunning piece of info, do you mind it moving to the members guides section under Tech?
Re: Lock removal petrol cap
Posted: 23 Mar 2016 02:38 am
by Ride_on
Not atall, Lock barrel is in a poor state and was very hard to get the key bits out stuck in with corrosion, so I did some damage to the barrel with my 'tool' I used to hammer them out and its fairly unique in the car, not like you can use one from somewhere else. I had 2 caps and both were similar, much worse than the tailgate one that was siezed and I rebuilt successfully. The cap lock does not seem to be sealed unlike the others, so water and dirt get in. Maybe they thought it would be ok sitting in plastic.
I'm thinking the corrosion might come from the steel in the springs. The springs are all ruined as they where stuck in but I should have enough other locks to get enough springs, also no sign of any on internet but not had a good hard look yet.
Having said that the key bits move in both locks after a nice gentle Phosphoric acid dip, and poke at the barrel with a screw driver. Key bit also flattened with wet+dry on flat surface, this took any tool damage off.
Anyway will put up more pictures once I get the car back to get the key. I have the lock key bit code but not quite sure which way around it goes.