Page 1 of 2

Sounds for rFactor Volvomod (You can help)

Posted: 08 May 2006 06:27 pm
by jtbo
Okay, so as I have been making this mod and I have sounds from my car which does not sound stock, but maybe is usable for 2ltr engines, anyway there is now need of sounds from other models, B172K and B14, also standard sound of 2ltr model would be nice too.

Here is my sounds:
http://www.janiervast.com/rfactor/index ... vo/Sounds/

Now, method how I did aquire these was running on smooth road without traffic, I did put 2nd gear in and floored throttle, then keeping car speed even with brake.

I could use similar sounds as in link above, if you have possibility record them with this method I would be very helped :D

Outside sounds would be good also, but I think it is impossible to record them while driving, maybe idle and keeping revs high would do for those.

Problem with these recordings is that there can't be any click or other sound than engine for 2 seconds and also engine revs and load should be unchanged. Game needs 2 seconds of sound, but I recorded often much more as it was hard to keep sound same.

Thank you from your time :P

Posted: 15 May 2006 01:02 am
by scurrient
Hi jtbo

I've sent you an e-mail with some sounds attached (less than 1Mb)

Let me know what you think

Scurrient

Posted: 15 May 2006 05:40 am
by jtbo
scurrient wrote:Hi jtbo

I've sent you an e-mail with some sounds attached (less than 1Mb)

Let me know what you think

Scurrient
Hi, I have not yet received mail, perhaps some error of some sort ?

Posted: 15 May 2006 12:21 pm
by shimon340
those recordings are fantastic!!!

what did you use to record them???

S

Posted: 15 May 2006 12:28 pm
by shimon340
you're 360 starting is now the yexy message alert on my phone!! :) hee hee

Posted: 15 May 2006 02:41 pm
by jtbo
shimon340 wrote:those recordings are fantastic!!!

what did you use to record them???

S
Thx, I have this videocamera Canon MVX200i, that I used for those :)

In game it sounds ok, but I like to tweak it bit more, here is little comparision of rfactor (1st part) and real video from car (2nd part).
http://www.janiervast.com/httpdocs/rfac ... ompare.mp3

I would like to make similar audio for other engines too :D

Posted: 15 May 2006 03:53 pm
by shimon340
do you have any recording of starting up, the accelerating through the gears? that'll be an awesome ring tone!!

ps , your 360 is now my text message alert!!

Posted: 15 May 2006 04:05 pm
by SteveP
shimon340 wrote:ps , your 360 is now my text message alert!!
That's going too far surely :lol:

Posted: 15 May 2006 04:20 pm
by shimon340
its a good noise!!! better than 'meep meep'!!!

Posted: 15 May 2006 05:07 pm
by jtbo
Here is accelerating at 100% and also braking, yes these are videos from race track:
http://www.janiervast.com/videot/

Here is few clips from time when I got K-Cam in and megasquirt was new, I had really bad and stupid airfilter setup, very loud and not filtering too well, also it falled few times, LOL.

Here you can see airfilter and little revving, very rarely I rev engine without gear, also I always warmup engine to running temps and oils too, before stressing it.
http://www.janiervast.com/projekti/kuva ... intake.avi

This is accelerating from 1300-6200rpm if I don't remember wrong:
http://www.janiervast.com/projekti/kuva ... imiter.avi

This is where I recorded little about that how it sounds when accelerating:
http://www.janiervast.com/projekti/kuva ... e=roar.avi

Shortly after those I installed original GLT airfilter box and airtubing, so now noise is not so bad.

It may be possible to take audio from videos and do little cut, copy and paste to get what you are looking for?

I personally prefer Virtualdub for cutting and compressing videos, it has also nice feature of saving audio to .wav file from video clip, of course program is also free.

Posted: 15 May 2006 05:36 pm
by shimon340
hi

i downloaded vituraldub but it has a code error when im try to open your videos... madei player only opens the audio part.... sounds gooood!!!!

S

Posted: 15 May 2006 05:41 pm
by jtbo
Oh yes, in one of those older track videos I was overtaken by Escort Cosworth Turbo, so I decided to follow it, but really soon I noticed that my weared front shocks are not helping understeer at all, was close that I would been out of track as tires did not like to grip, but finally they got bit of grip. We were doing same speed and when you can hear it's engine it is when it starts to accelerate, was not stock me thinks :lol:

There was two things wrong with my car there, or actually three, first was massive understeer, second was inside rear wheel loosing grip at exit of corner so I could not step on it after apex, tire was just spinning and no speed gain, so I needed to balance car so that there was enough grip for inner rear.

Then third thing was brakes that faded really quick if I used them way I and clock would like, hardly one lap was possible to make with hard braking, after brake got hot rear starts to lock up, not nice.

Of course power is one issue too, but that is something that you can live with, but handling problems were quite severe.

Then last summer clip, that was not filmed on public trackday, I just wen't to track and paid for a day, 50€ :P
New parts in car were shocks + GLT front springs, Megasquirt controlled fuel injection replaced solex carb, K-Cam. Also exhaust was mounted bit better as it was banging to rear axle before.

Gearstick has always been bit bad, but sometimes it decides to be even more difficult than normally, that is shown very well with 2nd gear troubles in one corner.

I actually have rather new clutch, but when shifting to 3rd it tends to slip a bit, I think it should be dropped really quick, but I already have troubles with gearbox mounts so need to be bit careful.

This summer it may be that no new videos as I'm bit short side of cash :cry:

Posted: 15 May 2006 05:43 pm
by jtbo
shimon340 wrote:hi

i downloaded vituraldub but it has a code error when im try to open your videos... madei player only opens the audio part.... sounds gooood!!!!

S
You will need XVID codec: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video ... s/xvid.cfm

All of my videos are compressed with it as it makes videos small and still quality is good, also it is opensource and I support opensource everywhere I can ;)

Posted: 16 May 2006 02:20 am
by Chris_C
Right Jani... I'm blaming you now if I fail the last few weeks of my degree... I just bought rFactor. Tis good, I've got the trackIR running happily with it, although I'm not properly going to play it until June the 1st! So, reckon the 300 will be ready for me to test drive by then :P

Posted: 16 May 2006 03:33 am
by scurrient
Ooops, blasted outbox. I've sent them now.

I've also got a maths paper to hand in on Thurday evening, so if Friday is dry I'll post some more on my site.