Page 1 of 2

4 brand new Pirelli P3000 Tyres

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 11:33 pm
by Chesh740R
Not sure if this is a 300 size, but may fit other cars you may own.

Due to a cock up by myself by reading a tyres size in the dark i now have 4 Brand New Pirelli P3000 tyres in 165/65/14 size and not a car that needs them.

£80 for the set of 4, In bedford for collection/ can meet halfway perhaps/ or can arrange courier at buyers cost.

if you happen to know what cars use this size tyre please let me know so i can hit up the respective owners forums.

Lesson learnt, don't read tyre sizes in the dark whilst drunk as you'll read the 9 in 195 as a 6.

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 09:31 am
by redline
I think your looking at cars like fiat pandas , puntos and tipos
saxo diesels some clios peugeot 106 and the corsa diesel

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 12:46 pm
by classicswede
Too narrow for a 300

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 08:52 pm
by V6 Man
Chesh, I can forgive you buying the wrong size, but what on earth possessed you of all people to buy Pirellis??????

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 09:37 pm
by petefarrell360
V6 Man wrote:Chesh, I can forgive you buying the wrong size, but what on earth possessed you of all people to buy Pirellis??????
LOL! I nearly made a comment about the Pirellis myself, but as they don't fit anything here, I repeat the above comment! The most dangerous tyres I've ever had the misfortune to use!

Pete

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 10:48 pm
by Carl
I used a set of P6000s for rallying a few years ago - couldn't really fault them. Not as much grip as some tyres, but this just meant they were a biit more progressive rather than just breaking away. Lack of sidewall protection was the only thing I didn't like.

Couldn't comment on other Pirellis though.

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 12:00 am
by IvanS.
Had them.....and sold them... Even Tigar is better .

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 12:22 am
by germ
tigar is acually very good..now any way :D werent so good a few years ago though

if i had the money i would get: goodyears,dunlops or bridgestone and falcon (bmw tyres seem good)

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 01:37 am
by MJ
Our 850 runs Pirelli P6000's and never had any trouble with them, although the car is never driven hard. I did spin the wheels once, but that was doing a hill start on a dusty soil track off road :P ... (It was a field used for a temporary car park)

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 02:16 am
by petefarrell360
The only time I've ever had a car unexpectedly lose grip when not being provoked and it reacted in such a way I had to do something pretty special to still be able to type today, is on Pirelli P6000's, and to that I'd add twice! Indeed, they do lose grip earlier, and in my experiece there was no sign or lead up to it, just suddenly no grip at all, which at 50 mph into a very slight bend that I know well, and it was not too fast for the road or conditions, dry day etc, was more than scary, and with no room other than mine on my side of the road, pulling the back end into shape wasn't easy. The Pirellis in a pair on the rear and it just went completely light and the rear followed round.

I did return to check for anything on the road, but it was clean. Then the second experience convinced me it was the tyres, and I removed them! V6Man has since told me of his hatred of them and that reassured me of my decision.

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine it is because they are made for a longer life, being a harder compound or something, so instead of gripping so well, they last longer....... I'd rather replace my tyres sooner and have lots of grip thanks!

A lot of things are down to personal choice, but on any vehicle, the only thing between you and the road is the tyre and in my experience, tyres on a 300 can make hell of a difference. The handling on my 360 was transformed by changing from 14" rims to 15" with 195/50's. It sticks like the proverbial to the blanket like material! That's not to say that when it does let go and run out of grip it's unexpected and deadly, you can feel it's limits.

Back on topic, the 3000's, if they're half as good as a 6000.......... ooooh dear :shock:

Pete

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 05:10 pm
by Carl
I'm not saying I'd buy them again, but I certainly wouldn't rate them as bad as everyone else :) On my 205 XS (85bhp FWD tin can) they held the power ok, even on the loose surfaces. And quite a few large manufactures use them as OEM tyres, so cant be all bad!

As you say they didn't wear alot though - I think I done around 10k miles and there was still a fair bit of life left in them. My mates Nova SR (similar car, similar driving style) had Yoko A539s and they were almost bald at the same mileage :lol:

This probably isn't helping with Chesh's sale though. So I'll shut up now :)

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 05:25 pm
by Chesh740R
V6 Man wrote:Chesh, I can forgive you buying the wrong size, but what on earth possessed you of all people to buy Pirellis??????
Because its an Odd Ball size, The only ones on ebay happened to be a set of 4 and just happened to be p3000's, they were still cheaper than buying 4 cheapy budget stuff.

Besides the car they were destined for, the trials and tribulations of tesco car park were never going to stretch the tyres handling qualities, so i had no qualms about the brand. The Pirelli's will do a great job for the car that ends up having them.

My sister in law is currently after a new car, so i'm trying to buy her something with this tyre size, after that i'll have to ebay them again.


£80 by the way for the set of 4, thats exactly what i paid for em.

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 07:51 pm
by IvanS.
germ wrote:tigar is acually very good..now any way :D werent so good a few years ago though
It is under Michelin now, they used to have more plastic than rubber, but time has changed for the better.

We have Yokohama and it is very good.

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 09:00 pm
by SoLaMaNdA
I find Pirelli's are bloody good :?

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 09:43 pm
by petefarrell360
It depends on the actual tyre model, as their higher performance tyres are probably really good, being of a, as they describe it, racing rubber compound, compared to the P6000's which are long lasting, low wear tyres and the energy versions which are, "Low rolling resistance compound for reduced fuel consumption." It's not so much the manufacturer as a whole, but what each tyre specification is, and as I see it, P6000's are utter sh**e!

I know Carl didn't get on very well with Toyo's, not sure exactly which model of trye he used, but I won't use anything else on the 360 now, they grip soooo well in the Proxes T1S range.

Fair play to Chesh on finding the set of tyres on the bay, shame they were the wrong size, drunkeness can do some nasty things, and in this case lumber you with some tyres in the wrong size! P3000's however might be a damn fine tyre, not owned that exact tyre myself to tell!

I had some tyres with the name 'Speedy' on them, came on the car, and they were some of the longest wearing tyres I've ever had, but they also gripped well too! So it's not always a case of the more expensive well known brands are better! Also, as with many things, they are often made in the same factory, but labelled, packaged and distributed under different names, at different prices, but essentially it's the same product!

Pete