Engine sounds bad when cold
Posted: 13 Jul 2007 07:00 pm
Advice needed
Since the car (1.7) had it's MOT, and an engine oil and filter change a couple weeks ago, its sounded bad when starting from cold. She runs fine, and I think she sounded aright when warm, although I didn't listen specifically.
I checked today, and it seemed ok as soon as it started, and then after maybe a minute of idling the funny noise starts. The engine sounds like a diesel engine. Quite rattly and has a sort of banging or splashing sound.
As the car wasn't serviced, just new oil and filter they shouldn't have changed or adjusted anything which would cause problems.
I've checked the oil level - fine, the oil looks nice and new and clean and I've checked the filter, it is a genuine Volvo one for b172's. We filled up with fuel after the MOT (Shell V Power as usual), don't know if that could be linked...
Here's a sound clip of the car. http://www.geocities.com/mj_racer_500/F ... sounds.mp3 The first part was recorded with the bonnet open, looking over the wing at it, the second part from the ground looking towards the front valance. Its not the best recording, but hopefully it'll help.
So what do you think? I have a couple vague ideas, but they're just guesses
Thanks for any help
I checked today, and it seemed ok as soon as it started, and then after maybe a minute of idling the funny noise starts. The engine sounds like a diesel engine. Quite rattly and has a sort of banging or splashing sound.
As the car wasn't serviced, just new oil and filter they shouldn't have changed or adjusted anything which would cause problems.
I've checked the oil level - fine, the oil looks nice and new and clean and I've checked the filter, it is a genuine Volvo one for b172's. We filled up with fuel after the MOT (Shell V Power as usual), don't know if that could be linked...
Here's a sound clip of the car. http://www.geocities.com/mj_racer_500/F ... sounds.mp3 The first part was recorded with the bonnet open, looking over the wing at it, the second part from the ground looking towards the front valance. Its not the best recording, but hopefully it'll help.
So what do you think? I have a couple vague ideas, but they're just guesses