Squirtless

Various, various and more various!
Post Reply
scurrient
Posts: 39
Joined: 30 Apr 2005 04:00 am
Location: Smallwood/Staffordshire/England
Contact:

Squirtless

Post by scurrient »

Hi,

My driver's side squirter has stopped doing its thing.

Initially both had (left car under a tree for a few days whilst playing with radiators) blocked, but after a blast from the airline now only one is.

How can I get at the off-side squirter? I presume I've got to take that black grill out, but it looks very snappable - is there a technique?

Even when it's out, I'm not sure how the actual squirter would unclip. Is it a case of leverage and hope?

Quite a funny moment at tesco's as I put the tube to the air-nozzle. A second or so of nothing, then the nearside spurted...then the tubes disconnected from that 3-pronged adapter under the bonnet/grill and sprayed the bloke next to me (who fortunately saw the humour!).

I've also tried furtling about with a pin, and managed to extract a bit of some sort of goo/fibre. Think I might need to replace this squirter.

Any advice appreciated

Scurrient - 340DL 1.7cc
User avatar
MJ
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 1933
Joined: 24 Feb 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Devon/Staffordshire, UK

Post by MJ »

Are you sure it's the squirter and not the tubes?
Image
User avatar
V6 Man
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 1204
Joined: 27 Jul 2004 11:36 pm
Location: Belper, Derbyshire UK

Post by V6 Man »

Little known fact that you only need to know very occasionally No.42365:


Rubber washer pipes react with water and degrade forming a gooey like liquid that then blocks them.

Solution:
Never use just water as a screenwash, always use a proper mix of proprietry screenwash and water. Washing-up liquid is no substitute and only makes the problem worse.
Terms and conditions apply. This post may go down as well as up. Regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Hard hats to be worn. No reversing without a banksman. No admittance to unauthorized persons. Stop that. Put that down. Leave that alone.
scurrient
Posts: 39
Joined: 30 Apr 2005 04:00 am
Location: Smallwood/Staffordshire/England
Contact:

Post by scurrient »

Fairly sure. That was the problem with the nearside anyway. Tubes from reservoir to linkages to nearside squirter all ok.

Not sure how to get at the offside squirter though. I'm presuming the gunk (which seems to be what V6 man is referring to) is the problem (though I can't see any more in the 'eye of the squirter').

And yes, little known fact duly noted, I put a variety of solutions in my washer tank. Always have. Depending on where I've left the car, time of year, squirter performance, and state of windscreen, I tend to use a melange of bleach, washing-up liquid, anti-freeze, and water. (I park under trees that ooze a goo most sticky, esp in summer).

I'll start using screenwash.
User avatar
Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 9600
Joined: 18 Jun 2004 11:53 pm
Location: South Coast, UK

Post by Chris_C »

The black grill comes out, but be realy careful of your paintwork, I had to take it out when fitting my snowcap, and had the same worry as you. Start by pushing back the clips that you can get too with the bonnet up, and once you run out of those (you can get more than you think by reaching between the grill and bonnet from the engine side) start going along from the top, but always work from the holed side to the non holed side. Mine was fine, but just do it carefully, and don't use a metal blade to lever against paintwork!
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast
scurrient
Posts: 39
Joined: 30 Apr 2005 04:00 am
Location: Smallwood/Staffordshire/England
Contact:

Post by scurrient »

Hi

'Start by pushing back the clips' was the key. Closer inspection revealed the front clip to be a swivel type thing. From the inside of the bonnet I prised off one back clip, then did the outside front ones, then it all came out.

Quite easy really. No snapped/cracked grill, no brocken clips and no scratched paintwork!

It was the squirter. A blast of air, a mini-gurgle, and now I'm squirting on both barrels!

So all the water is now going (or staying) where it's meant to be. Apart from the sunroof of course, but from reading other posts I get the impression I should learn to see this as an exotic, executive extra like heated seats - a 'free shower' no less!

Thanks to all for replying

Scurrient
Post Reply