solex 28 34 z10 fault !!!
solex 28 34 z10 fault !!!
was reading the haynes manual for the renault 9/11 the other day .
there is an additional revisions bit in the very end which gives you info about the later r9 1.7 s fitted with this particular carburettor has faults .
basicly the link between the primary and the secondary throttle plates is not well made causing flat spots on acceleration . and as a solution haynes suggests you go to a renault dealer and have a special link tube fitted in to the carb to overcome the problem .
well this book has been written inthe end of 80s , obviously when i call renault dealer now ,they dont know anything about this fault or the cure .
i was just wondering if any of you peeps are having the same sort of problem on their 1.7 340s or did volvo manage to overcome this some way ???
there is an additional revisions bit in the very end which gives you info about the later r9 1.7 s fitted with this particular carburettor has faults .
basicly the link between the primary and the secondary throttle plates is not well made causing flat spots on acceleration . and as a solution haynes suggests you go to a renault dealer and have a special link tube fitted in to the carb to overcome the problem .
well this book has been written inthe end of 80s , obviously when i call renault dealer now ,they dont know anything about this fault or the cure .
i was just wondering if any of you peeps are having the same sort of problem on their 1.7 340s or did volvo manage to overcome this some way ???
there are no later versions of the car than 1988 (talking about the r9 ),renault used the same engine in 1991 last on the r19 s ,not sure if it was modified by then .pettaw wrote:these mods must've been done already on the later revisions of the carb cos the later Haynes says nothing about this.
If you're having driveability problems/flat spots your carb is probably worn out. But its worth giving the throttle plates a good squirt with carb cleaner spray.
on the other hand ,whats the latest model of a 1.7 volvo 340 ,i was thinking volvo could have cured the problem someway .
i am purchasing another second hand carburettor at the moment ,also will get another ignition pack ,will renew the breather pipes etc and will refurb the carb i have using a refurbing kit i found on the net .
but before all that hassle i was wondering if i could use a different setup ,different carb ,different head etc to gain some extra torque /power and smoothness ???
Anyway, to continue to try and answer the original question. Sorry I didn't read the post properly.
The Renault version of that carb is different to the Volvo one, so is probably tuned differently also. For instance, apparently it has 6 bolts securing it to the inlet manifold instead of the 4 that the Volvo version has, meaning its less likely to warp. Erm, so sorry I can't help, other than that.
I would advise a good clean first though, the throttle plates can get very dirty and cleaning makes the world of difference to carbs. If necessary take the float chamber cover off and clean out any dirt in there and a good blast of carb cleaner in the jets will help.
The Renault version of that carb is different to the Volvo one, so is probably tuned differently also. For instance, apparently it has 6 bolts securing it to the inlet manifold instead of the 4 that the Volvo version has, meaning its less likely to warp. Erm, so sorry I can't help, other than that.
I would advise a good clean first though, the throttle plates can get very dirty and cleaning makes the world of difference to carbs. If necessary take the float chamber cover off and clean out any dirt in there and a good blast of carb cleaner in the jets will help.
thanks for the replies guys ,i always have a flat spot on acel with this carb . since i bought the car i only sprayed some carb cleaner down the throttles and taken the car to a fine tune in a garage ,still not happy. a change for a bigger and better carb is on the way but cant figure out what carb will bolt straight on and run without problems ??
the renault version of the carb had 4 bolts to the manifold too ,here is the beast .


i have been told the carb is worn by the garage as well ,and the condition of the ignition pack and the breather pipes dont help either . can one of you guys post a pic of the 340 1.7 engine bay so we can compare ???
sorry for the picture quality ,will try and get a better one

the renault version of the carb had 4 bolts to the manifold too ,here is the beast .


i have been told the carb is worn by the garage as well ,and the condition of the ignition pack and the breather pipes dont help either . can one of you guys post a pic of the 340 1.7 engine bay so we can compare ???
sorry for the picture quality ,will try and get a better one

I'm going to be under the bonnet of Fake in a few mins, so I'll try and grab a picture if its not pouring down. Only thing is I'm running a different carb than the solex, mines a weber replacement.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast
would appreciate thatChris_C wrote:I'm going to be under the bonnet of Fake in a few mins, so I'll try and grab a picture if its not pouring down. Only thing is I'm running a different carb than the solex, mines a weber replacement.
did you buy the weber new ??
is it a performance one ??
i called a company called webcon sometime ago for a weber replacement ,they got weber repalacements for more or less every car but the renault 9 ,in fact they have not got a weber replacement for solex 28 34 z10 ,so they said . on the other hand i was just trying to use the info as a cross reference ,i cant really afford to pay 200-300 quid on a brand new carb
http://www.webcon.co.uk/
personnally i would like to have a carb that would give me a few more horses as well as reliabilty and sweet running , i can feel my engine is not running as smooth as it is supposed to .tiny bit of shakiness at times while driving ,which i believe is due to air/fuel ratio not being proper at all times
Sorry mate, just been out and it's pouring, so I didn't take the air box off. The webers were used as by Volvo, as the Solex's kept c*cking up. Guy who had Fake before me couldn't get it to idle, and I have a receipt where he paid Volvo over 4 figures for the weber and to get it to run, but they couldn't do it.
I bought Fake for spares, but got lucky one day when I tried to start it, and failed. I took everything apart, and by the time I got the started, I'd cured the idling problem too, I had the carb in bits, so I reckon it was one of the bits of dirt I found in there, not good for a 'new' carb though.
I bought Fake for spares, but got lucky one day when I tried to start it, and failed. I took everything apart, and by the time I got the started, I'd cured the idling problem too, I had the carb in bits, so I reckon it was one of the bits of dirt I found in there, not good for a 'new' carb though.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast
Can't agree that the Solex is a bad design. Apart from the bolt pattern being slightly too far apart and the too thin manifold gasket causing warping and therefore air leaks, we've never had problems that couldn't be attributed to dirt or maladjustment.
If you're having driveability problems, I would do what Chris did and strip the carb down clean everything, carefully strip the accelerator pump and check the diaphragm on that one, along with the pneumatic choke diaphragm. You may well be able to buy a rebuilt kit from a carb specialist that contains new gaskets and diaphragms.
If the car idles well then I reckon the carb is basically fine, just in need of a good service. Running problems at idle mean big problems like worn out spindles and warped bits.
If you're having driveability problems, I would do what Chris did and strip the carb down clean everything, carefully strip the accelerator pump and check the diaphragm on that one, along with the pneumatic choke diaphragm. You may well be able to buy a rebuilt kit from a carb specialist that contains new gaskets and diaphragms.
If the car idles well then I reckon the carb is basically fine, just in need of a good service. Running problems at idle mean big problems like worn out spindles and warped bits.
no probs mate ,no rush
its pissing down over here too ,what a crap day
in haynes manual it gives you a list of symptoms for solex carb used on r9 , and so far i heard from loads of renault 5 /9 and 11 owners with the same problems . there must be a cure .
have you cured the problem in the end ,is the engine running sweet with the weber ???
its pissing down over here too ,what a crap day
in haynes manual it gives you a list of symptoms for solex carb used on r9 , and so far i heard from loads of renault 5 /9 and 11 owners with the same problems . there must be a cure .
have you cured the problem in the end ,is the engine running sweet with the weber ???
i can source a refurb kit for the soelx thats no problem ,but i have no experience refurbing a carb . and i dont wantt o mess things up as i need the car running to get to work and back .pettaw wrote:Can't agree that the Solex is a bad design. Apart from the bolt pattern being slightly too far apart and the too thin manifold gasket causing warping and therefore air leaks, we've never had problems that couldn't be attributed to dirt or maladjustment.
If you're having driveability problems, I would do what Chris did and strip the carb down clean everything, carefully strip the accelerator pump and check the diaphragm on that one, along with the pneumatic choke diaphragm. You may well be able to buy a rebuilt kit from a carb specialist that contains new gaskets and diaphragms.
If the car idles well then I reckon the carb is basically fine, just in need of a good service. Running problems at idle mean big problems like worn out spindles and warped bits.
found a second hand solex from a 340 1.7 pretty cheap ,i will have a go cleaning and refurbing that one up and will swap with mine.
can you mod a solex to produce more power ??? i.e bigger jets etc ???



